RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How do I get crisp clean photos like this?

Old 12-04-2009, 09:07 PM

Re: How do I get crisp clean photos like this?

Notice in the first photo, the girl is facing straight to the light, which created the basis for those beautiful eyes to be emphasized in post. In your picture the kid is lit by an uniform top light and his eyes are pretty much in shadow. The light should be right from the initial capture.

The D200 is a great camera, what I think you need to go with that is a couple of good books... about photography, about lighting, about color theory, about raw processing. There is so much it has to be right from the time of capture... Photoshop isn't (shouldn't be) about faking stuff...

Your kid picture needed a better light, or, giving the available conditions, I'd say about 1 stop more light and a warmer color balance. Look at the two photos, notice how bright and warm and cheerful is the girl's face, also her expression is in the same mood. In your picture, the kid is in shadow, which introduces a little too much cyan in his face, and also his expression is far from cheerful. It's a nice mood in any case, but completly different from the girl.

Also, I hope you're not using that pretty cool camera to shoot jpegs in Auto mode and hoping for the best...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 09:14 PM

lol. that is my daughter, not a him. Here is another photo I took of her. And no, I am taking in RAW and playing with different fstop and ISOs. I am new, but know some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ava11smaller.jpg (81.3 KB, 242 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 09:26 PM

My bad :P

Well it's a lovely girl, give her maybe two more years to really get into modelling and she'll love to pose for you just as cheerful as the other girl.
You have a little time to get ready. But I suggest that while studying retouching you also find some answers on those quite a few great photography forums out there too.

As you can see, I'm kind of new here just like you, but I took my time trying to get into as much of this stuff as I could. We're all here to learn and help each other with what we can, but it's up to us to actually follow the advices we get.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 09:30 PM

Do you know of a great photography forum that I can easily find info on lighting. I googled, but half of the stuff was not what I was even looking for. Thanks hun!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 10:08 PM

cute kid. that second shot shows signs of a dirty lens (highlights bleeding into shadows).
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgvotaw View Post
I have been playing around with my lighting, but this camera is super new to me. I would like to get really vivid colors and a crisp, clean look like this; any advice? I have a Nikon d200. I am sure I will need to do some in photoshop as well. The first photo is what I want mine to look like, and the second is what mine does look like.

http://www.suzieseagraves.com/blogpics/092608_0022.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...43a6ae76a2.jpg
find what is the sweet spot for the lens you are using and shoot at that Fstop
the lower the ISO the less noisy/grainy the picture will be
make sure your optics are clean

or better yet... get a canon (just kidding)

but that is not a retouch issue imho
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice7 View Post
find what is the sweet spot for the lens you are using and shoot at that Fstop
the lower the ISO the less noisy/grainy the picture will be
make sure your optics are clean

or better yet... get a canon (just kidding)

but that is not a retouch issue imho
No, you are right; Canon is better! However, I was GIVEN this Nikon by my grandfather. He was a professional photographer for over 35 years. He gave me his entire studio! He says I can ask him questions, but he is 75 years old and I do not like bugging him when I can bug you guys! lol

Thanks for the tips.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Patron

Ditto Wolfman and Mike..

straightened and cropped
screen layer (masked)
sharpened
sharpened iris on seperate layer
cleaned/painted soft skin
darkened lips
highpass on softlight layer (masked)
blurred background (masked)

Yours should look a lot better using a high res copy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby-0.jpg (81.3 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg baby-1.jpg (198.8 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg baby-2.jpg (121.6 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg baby-3.jpg (124.5 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 12-05-2009 at 01:32 AM. Reason: added wf
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2009, 02:50 AM

Well, this is what i could do with your image...

This time no brush work, no masks. Minimum amount of layers. All parametric editing. Kept it under 3 minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bgvotaw's girl_done.jpg (76.3 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by Mihai; 12-05-2009 at 03:02 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2009, 08:11 AM

I can really appreciate where you're coming from in trying to achieve that "look" in your photos, as I'm a new grandfather also with a new DSLR, trying to do the same thing with the new baby.

What I've learned so far is it's all about composition and light. You compose the photo, the camera is a tool that captures the light.

IMHO, the composition of the your photo isn't bad (it's not always going to be smiles) but the thing on the right should probably be cropped out. It needs better lighting (as has already been suggested).

If you look at the picture done by Susie Seagraves, especially the eyes and shadows in the photo, you can almost "reverse engineer" how she used light. Look at those eyes! You can see she used at least two sources of light (or at least one WITH a real good reflector). She is literally painting with light!

That's what we need to do first - then you can think about refining the photo with an editing program.

There is excellent info on the internet about all this, but a good book is a real help. I found one in my local library that is so good I'll probably purchase it myself - "Photographing Children Photo Workshop" by Ginny Felch and Allison Jones. Composition, lighting, working with children, the works.

Keep at it!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching