RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How do I get crisp clean photos like this?

Old 12-05-2009, 08:52 AM

Re: How do I get crisp clean photos like this?

I'd agree with many above..stay with low ISO to avoid grain. I would try to say at 100, and definitely not over 400. You have a good camera..I assume you also have good glass. Sometimes you can't control the light ...especially if you are taking candid pics of moving kids..but photoshop can improve the color, tone, and contrasts...all of which you can learn/improve via this forum.

If necessary, you can also use a noise reduction program.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2009, 10:44 AM

here's an example:

sunglow
vib glow
sharpen
brighten the eyes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby-0.jpg (19.4 KB, 153 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2009, 02:20 PM

Just use levels a bit, there is nothing else to do to this pic IMO.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2009, 04:56 PM

The first problem is exposure. It's likely that the bright sky in the background tricked your camera's meter and thus gave you an under exposed photo. That is something that will add to the digital noise in an image. Especially at higher ISO and especially if you try to bring it up in post.

There are many ways to avoid this. Start by learning about how the camera's meter works and how you can take control of the process.
Part and parcel of that is learning to 'see the light'...and generally improving your photography skills & knowledge.

Of course, post processing does play a part. But it's much better to start with a good image.

Quote:
Do you know of a great photography forum that I can easily find info on lighting. I googled, but half of the stuff was not what I was even looking for. Thanks hun!
We would love to have you visit us at www.thephotoforum.com (I'm a mod over there). I hope it's OK to post that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2009, 11:58 PM

Better light to begin with gives the image more contrast and separation from its background...Wide aperture, good lens, subtle sharpening. Put a reflector underneath your subject's face and play with light. This is fundamental photography, not a case of how to improve with Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2009, 12:11 AM

I think the best way to make a dull photo pop is through luminosity masking. Use alpha channels to create masks based on luminance values, then use them to mask curves adjustment layers to adjust the specific tonal ranges you think need changes. Here's a dull photo I "popped" with lum. masking (I got it as a jpeg).

DULL: http://a4.vox.com/6a0110184cd071860f0123ddf05524860d-pi
POP: http://a3.vox.com/6a0110184cd071860f0123ddf0552b860d-pi

Last edited by mikedimples; 12-10-2009 at 06:13 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2009, 01:15 AM

And here's my take on the original photo. Dull photo's can pop, but it takes lots of time (this took me over an hour). I luminosity masked, frequency split, liquified, smart-sharpened, lusicart'd, dodged and burned, color-balanced,and towards the end did some good old-fashioned airbrushing. Hope it still bears a resemblance. Cute hat.

If you post a link to a raw file, I'm sure I'd be able to make it look much more like your target image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg update.jpg (95.5 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by mikedimples; 12-10-2009 at 06:15 AM. Reason: updated image
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2009, 07:55 AM

Just a quick example...

Duplicate original layer, set to screen mode.
Add Hue/Sat Adj layer, set to soft light mode, add lightness and saturation.

One can protect the whites by using a mask which I didn't take the time to do for this example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l_990-edit.jpg (59.7 KB, 83 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2009, 09:18 AM

I think this may be more of an in-camera issue rather than post-production one. I don't know much about Nikon, but the D200 seems like a fine enough camera to get what you would like to achieve.
The grain looks like your using a high ISO. If you're shooting outside during the day it really shouldn't warrant a higher number than 400. Find a still object outside and start playing around with different aperture and shutter speed settings and you'll figure out the proper metering over time to get nice contrast in daylight. When I was first learning with a DSLR and shooting people I was using a bit of fill flash outside to get that crisp look. A small reflector is also a great investment to bounce additional light onto the face.
If I want that look in post I will also boost the contrast and blacks in raw while lowering the vibrance a bit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgvotaw View Post
Do you know of a great photography forum that I can easily find info on lighting. I googled, but half of the stuff was not what I was even looking for.
I suggest you pickup some of Bryan Peterson photography books. Understanding Exposure, Learning to See Creatively and Beyond Portraits will go in a long way helping your photography shooting skills and have to spend less time in Photoshop.

Also he does gives online course and I have taken one and can recommend them too.

Bill
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching