RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How do I get crisp clean photos like this?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:17 AM

Re: How do I get crisp clean photos like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgvotaw View Post
Is this like a layering thing? I know there has to be some way to make it look less grainy.
All cameras are subjected to produces more or less grain (called noise in the digital world). The better the camera, the less noisy. You need to understand why noise happens. It happens because 2 things: camera sensor, Light conditions.

You know, the photons travels trhough the space, they pass through the camera lens and they touch something called Bayer Filter and then they hit the camera sensor, specifically the sensor elements, sensels or pixels that compose the sensor. In that moment, the magic occurs by a magnetic discharge between the photons and the camera sensor, so you get statical noise and the picture at the same time. When you rise the ISO, you are amplifying the signal, thus, the noise. Noise happens with small sensels, for example, 35mm format cannot handle more than 12-15 megapixels, Nikon D3x and Canon 5DMKII put around 24 mp in those little sensors from these 2 new cameras, making the result not only noisy, also quite blotchy. However, photographers buy the one form Canon just because the mp, ridiculous.

The other way noise happens is because the light, mostly because the shadows more than the light. When you lit an apple, for example, the most lit area will have no noise, even at high ISOs, that's because digital imaging has much more depth and detail in the highlights. When you see the shadows area, you will see noise and posterization there, because digital imaging has a very poor depth, therefore, bad detail recognition in the shadows. Some cameras does it better, others worst. And make sure to shot in RAW in order to avoid many of these things.

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks. What I do not understand is why my photo just blows to pieces when I zoom in; it is real grainy. What sort of lighting do I need to make this not happen, and can I fix that in photoshop?
YEs, by using a plugin called Noiseware.

You are not able to see the noise when you don't zoom in because the noise size is smaller to the screen pixels size, so your screen doesn't show those little dots (and many more!). That's why you only see them when ooming in. Happens the same with skin pores, for example.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Keeps failing. I will try again
Resize your image weight to no more than 97KB and hit the manage attachment button. load your picture and post it. For high-res you need to post it in another website, this pne doesn't allow more than 100 KB per pic,.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihai View Post
My bad :P

Well it's a lovely girl, give her maybe two more years to really get into modelling and she'll love to pose for you just as cheerful as the other girl.
Modelling is one of the worst things in life, and even worst for kids. Are you crazy?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Do you know of a great photography forum that I can easily find info on lighting. I googled, but half of the stuff was not what I was even looking for. Thanks hun!
openphotographyforums.com but the best way is to practice and test and looking what other photographers do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
No, you are right; Canon is better! However, I was GIVEN this Nikon by my grandfather. He was a professional photographer for over 35 years. He gave me his entire studio! He says I can ask him questions, but he is 75 years old and I do not like bugging him when I can bug you guys! lol

Thanks for the tips.
Man, Canon is pure noise.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2010, 02:16 AM

Here's a quicky. Used a curve adjustment layer and adjusted each of the RGB channels seperately. Used a layer mask so only the child was affected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l_9906d35e2b3f46bda6e3a743a6ae76a2a.jpg (57.4 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching