RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Another Dodge and Burn question..

Old 12-04-2009, 08:58 PM

Another Dodge and Burn question..

I've been using the dodge and burn method with mostly great results. Although time consuming I think iy gives the best results. The only time I'm running into problems are areas that require more then usual D&B. I've noticed on some skin areas it begins to look oversaturated, almost a flourescent color and in some dark areas of course it begins to turn grey. I remember Chris Tarantino mentioning something about it in his tutorial and I believe he might have said to sample a color from the surrounding skin and D&B with that. I tried that and I'm not getting the results. First off it doesn't work when you created 2 separate curve layers which is how I do it. It seems to work when you have the softlight layer set to 50% grey but still, I don't think I'm doing it right. So, question is, how to D&B while maintaining the correct color of the surrounding skin?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 09:21 PM

Re: Another Dodge and Burn question..

What blend more do set your curve layers to?

If you're getting too much saturation and your blend mode is set to normal try setting it to luminosity.

If you're getting gray and your mode is set to luminosity try setting it to normal.

You can also just keep your curve layers in whatever mode they're in and adjust saturation by different means on separate layers. HSL, curves, painting on an empty layer, etc, set to saturation or color mode are viable options.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
What blend more do set your curve layers to?
I leave the curve layers in normal mode. Maybe i'm missing a step and forgetting to put them in luminosity mode. Let me look into that. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2009, 12:46 AM

Dear GlamGuru...

One of the things Chris Tarantino mentioned in that session was to pick a very light skin tone for your dodging color and then reduce its saturation and then pick a very dark skin shadow tone and go darker and less saturated with it so that you're working with tones related to the skin in color but not overdoing the work in terms of adding saturation. On areas where he went over it several times and it became a little oversaturated, he went back and reduced the saturation in those overworked areas. Don't recall if he did a local selection and reduced the saturation in the soft light d&b layer or if he painted using saturation mode or used the sponge set to desaturate or somenthing else, but the idea was to take the area that had been extensively reworked and become oversaturated and reduce the saturation in the soft light layer there. I'm sure there are a lot of other ways to achieve the same result (like adding a new layer and painting with a flesh tone with the right amount of saturation and then setting that layer to saturation and reducing its opacity).

Changing your d&b layer to luminence will change what's going on in terms of how it's affecting the image. It would remove the change in saturation, but it would also change the intensity of the changes. It would also impact all the d&b work as opposed to the localized problem area. Sometimes you can switch modes on a d&b layer and get good results, but I wouldn't bet on it working reliably.

Hope you are doing well. Take care. Alan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2009, 01:01 AM

The over or under saturation I take as a given when I D&B and add a solid color layer set to color with 40% opacity and paint on everywhere I see problems with the color. I need a bit of tweeking because its not perfect...

By the way Seattle light, I always confuse your avatar with a Peogeot 206 front light facia.... LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2009, 01:20 AM

Dear Cuervo79...

I'm glad somebody finally got the Peugeot reference.

Always figure my references are a little too oblique. It's good to know that someone is paying attention.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg peugeot_206.jpg (55.3 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2009, 04:15 AM

lol I'm a car nut so yeah I got it the first time I saw your avatar but thought... hmm maybe its a coincidence....
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2009, 05:56 PM

HAha... I thought his avatar was a pair of wings.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle-light View Post
Dear GlamGuru...

One of the things Chris Tarantino mentioned in that session was to pick a very light skin tone for your dodging color and then reduce its saturation and then pick a very dark skin shadow tone and go darker and less saturated with it so that you're working with tones related to the skin in color but not overdoing the work in terms of adding saturation. On areas where he went over it several times and it became a little oversaturated, he went back and reduced the saturation in those overworked areas. Don't recall if he did a local selection and reduced the saturation in the soft light d&b layer or if he painted using saturation mode or used the sponge set to desaturate or somenthing else, but the idea was to take the area that had been extensively reworked and become oversaturated and reduce the saturation in the soft light layer there. I'm sure there are a lot of other ways to achieve the same result (like adding a new layer and painting with a flesh tone with the right amount of saturation and then setting that layer to saturation and reducing its opacity).

Changing your d&b layer to luminence will change what's going on in terms of how it's affecting the image. It would remove the change in saturation, but it would also change the intensity of the changes. It would also impact all the d&b work as opposed to the localized problem area. Sometimes you can switch modes on a d&b layer and get good results, but I wouldn't bet on it working reliably.

I know there are a few different ways of using d&b but I tend to just use masked curve layers as opposed to a layer filled with neutral color set to blend mode soft light or other. So could I continue using that method and then for any areas where there are weird color variations then I could use this?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching