Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

More SHADOW problems - help appreciated

Old 12-06-2009, 06:24 PM
More SHADOW problems - help appreciated

More problems - I followed the following directions from a poster in a different thread for lightening the shadow given from the girl:

1) Create new layer
2) on new layer clone a large patch of grass from the right side (you will have to build it up) over the shadow area on the left. Go over the foot and the legs with your cloning and over the edges of the shadow (it will be removed later)
3) put a layer mask over the the new layer and then using black mask off all the parts that overlap, like the legs and foot etc.
4)Set the blend mode for this new layer to be Lighten
5) Adjust the opacity of the new layer to suit (I went for 70%)
6) finally do a shadow/highlight adjustment on the base picture to pull up the shadows a bit. I used a medium Amount (50%) with a low tonal width (20%) didn;t touch the radius.

The only difference for me is that I have an outdated, cheap version of Photoshop Elements and it does not have a "layer mask" function so I had to use a work-around method using an ADJUSTMENT layer. It works the same way, and I dont think this work-around is the cause for these black markings around her arm, leg, and shoe.

It worked great other than the dark markings around the girl's arm, leg, and shoe. You may have to look real hard but the marks are pretty easy to see - right next to her arm, leg, and shoe on the left side. The marks appeared on step 3, when I was "using off all the parts that overlap". I think it is left-over shadow from the background pic.

How do I get rid of the marks? PIC attached!!! Thank you so much in advance for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: psd girl with shadow problem2.psd (96.4 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Re: More SHADOW problems - help appreciated

The thumbnail didn't work out so hot this time. I'm including a photobucket link that I think will work better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Re: More SHADOW problems - help appreciated

Originally Posted by danielwd View Post
I think it is left-over shadow from the background pic.
I would agree. In this case, adjust your mask. Do that by inverting your brush from black, to white. Then paint back over those marks on the mask so that the new lightened layer shows (is not hidden). Making accurate masks is part of the difficulty in Photoshop, and why good images can take some time. It's just part of the art. It's quite common to go back and re-adjust a mask, painting some black or white, or variations of gray on it. You may also find some images look better with just a very slight dark edge along some of those boundaries. Our eyes/brain are very sensitive and easily pick it up when shadows on a face or clothes don't match other shadows in an image.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching