RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Patch tool not working the right way?

Old 12-09-2009, 09:41 AM

Patch tool not working the right way?

im new to photoshop and have been playing around with the patch tool and for some reason its not working the way it does in the tutorials i have watched... while trying to remove a black dog from a pictures i select the dog as the source and drag to a clean area and after it patches it there is now a black cloud over what should now be the clean area? likewise when i try and duplicate the dog to another area after the patching is done the dog is now transparent instead of solid... i have checked the fade patch selecection at it is set at 100% and i have reset the prefrences and am still having the same issue? can someone tell me what im doing wrong?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Patron

Re: Patch tool not working the right way?

What you are experiencing is actually correct for the Patch tool. Unliker the clone / stamp tool, the Patch tool uses a complex algorithm attempting to matche the texture, lighting, transparency, and shading of the sampled pixels to the pixels being healed. The toll is designed to work well with small areas at a time. When the patch is large and when it is used on complex areas set on complex backgrounds, it very often produces the results that you have found (in either source or destination modes).
So when the healing tools do not work, you should try the clone tools OR the old fashion method of making a loose feathered selection around your dog, move the selection over the area you wish to replace it with, Ctrl J to copy the area to a new layer, and move / drag the new area over the dog. Add a layer mask to that layer and with a soft brush paint around the edges to blend you patch in to its new surroundings.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2009, 03:02 PM

ok... i was trying to get it to work the way it does in this video and here it seems to be not having an issue taking out the girl? so i was trying to reproduce the effect with a dog... same situation where the dog is in grass but i cant seem to do the same thing where the girl is gone cuz i just get a fuzzy blob in the middle of where my selection was...?

http://www.photoshopusertv.com/2009/...vember-9-2009/
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Patron

If you watched the video, you should have noticed two clues. When he did the 1st patch of the girl, you saw the section of the fence that did not blend well. The 2nd thing you should have noticed was when he tried to patch over the envelope where his selection overlapped one of the black letters causing the patch to be smudged with black. You will find that the patch tool works best when the background all around the area you want to patch is uniform / the same. In the 1st image if the girl was totally surrounded by grass the patch would have worked fine. If the text on the envelope had more space between the letters and a selection had been made around the letter and it was surrounded by brown paper all around, then the belnd would have worked fine.
It's as if Photoshop is trying to determine that the selected area is out of place in its background and if it concludes it is, PS does a great job of blending. If the background is complex, PS really has trouble figuring out what to do.
Experiment with different types of images and you will discover pretty quickly the types of situations the patch tool will work out well for you and in which types it will not.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2009, 03:42 PM

yes i did notice that part and that all makes sence since the part that is bluring is on the edges of the patch... but im getting the bluring effect in the middle of the selection... im trying to replace a dog in the middle of the grass with more grass...and grass being along the edges so i dont have the bluring effect there... just in the middle where the dog used to be... and in the edit option for fade patch it is set at 100% so thats not it... ?

before
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...3/DSC09153.jpg

After
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...09153-Edit.jpg

Last edited by yamaha83; 12-09-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2009, 05:15 PM

Some times you have to "hit or miss" with extreme color differences and when removing something from an item that is next to what you are trying to remove. At times you will have to clone to (cover) / or remove. and after you remove the 'item' you may have to go back and clean it up.. -- Practice and experimentation is the key here.. ..
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2009, 05:17 PM

ok thanks everyone! i just wanted to make sure i was not doing something wrong... seemed like it should have been working the way it did in the vid but ill play around with some other photos and see what works and what does not...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Patron

Yes, what your results are perfectly normal. The dog is not sufficiently surrounded by grass. Both the fence and the dog's shadow are in close proximity and they are both confusing PS. A patch over the small dog will work better (if you include its shadow) but you will still have a small amount of smudging to clone away. Unfortunately the technology of the patch tool is still evolving. So for now you need to rely on the old select, feather, copy, paste, move technique.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2009, 08:51 PM

sometimes if you try to cut down a tree with a butter knife, the same thing happens. In that case switch tools. try cloning instead. usually that will do it becasue it forces the source onto the new area where the patch tries to figure out what is trying to be done in simple terms, and winds up puking out a fuzzy mess instead.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2009, 12:49 AM

I hope this is what you were looking for this was done entirely with the patch tool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog1.jpg (97.6 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching