RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Need some feedback

Old 12-09-2009, 07:11 PM

Need some feedback

This is my very first retouch I've ever done using D&B technique, therefore I need some feedback from pros. What do you think? Should I keep pracicing 'coz I have future in this kind of job? Or should I keep practicing as a hobby only?
And, of course, what should be improved if so?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fur___Face.jpg (48.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Fur___Face_by_Bina_Stock.jpg (40.5 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2009, 11:32 PM

Re: Need some feedback

Not bad. I was confused at first because the skin looks blurry, but the before was already blurry. There's still uneven skin tone, most of it around her mouth and to the right (our right) of her nose. Besides tone, you should smooth out the color transitions a bit. There's a distracting, horizontally running hair under her jaw to the right (our right). Good call on the nose if this isn't about the model, but it's pushing the envelope for a portrait. Cute lipstick color, but a little to dark (barely) for her eyeliner, especially because this seems like a day shot. Strong eyes and lips together can look whorish. I really like how you brought out her fur wrap (fleece?).

I'm not sure what you were going for with the eyes, but they seem to be burning with evil energy.

It's impossible to tell from a single retouch if you have a future in this profession. What will decide that is how much time you put into perfecting your trade (you're just starting) and MOST IMPORTANTLY how good you are at marketing yourself. Keep doing dodge and burn retouching, try to get much larger size images to work on and post links to the high res (vox.com is a great place to post pictures - 10meg limit per photo). The Model Mayhem "serious retouch" thread is a great place to get raw files. http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=198402 Retouch some files from there and post here for another critique.

Last edited by mikedimples; 12-09-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2009, 05:33 AM

Thank you very much for replying and for valuable advice.
Now, when you pointed out, even I can see these imperfections. But about the skin around the nose - wouldn't it be too flat if I corrected the skin tone?
The retouch is only for me since I'm just learning.
With the eyes - that is exactly what I was going for, the evelish, Cullen like color (Not a huge fan, but I like the expression)
Thank you once again for replying and I'm waiting for more feedback.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2009, 06:39 PM

For around the nose, the shadows don't necessarily need to be eliminated (as that would, as you point out, remove definition) rather, they just need to be evened out. You want the transitions to be smooth. There also appears to be a rather harsh, saturated line around the entire jaw that should be removed or at least lessened.

Overall it seems you're on the right track!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2009, 06:43 PM

I've made the corrected version.
i'm posting three links: the original, the first version, and the corrected one respectively.
What do you think now?
http://a5.vox.com/6a01240b832724860e0123dddcf355860c-pi
http://a7.vox.com/6a01240b832724860e01240b8353b7860e-pi
http://a6.vox.com/6a01240b832724860e0123ddf0a266860d-pi
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2009, 07:45 PM

I very much like your end results, very well done for someone new to this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2009, 09:54 PM

Much better on the underlying tones. Now what you should do is try to bring back some of the pleasant looking freckles on her nose, just so there is some degree of realism.. Not enough to draw the eye, but just enough that the lack of detail isn't drawing the eyes, especially in the sized down version.

What I suggest you do next time is to decide at the beginning of the retouch which details distract and which add realism. Let your eye sweep over the image and note the first area it "snags." From this retouch, it looks like you took out almost all the unflattering details instead of making them work together. Zooming out and flipping the image horizontally are two things you can do to help your brain "reset" and spot imperfections that it became accustomed to. During the dodge and burn, don't work on one zone at a time. Keep your eye on the entire image and just hit the spots that distract. You might not even need to dodge a spot away to perfection, lightening half-way may be enough to remove it as a snag.

I wouldn't try to change it now, but next time don't darken her eyeliner/pupils as much on an image this light. It looks too photohopped.

I'm VERY impressed that you implimented all the critiques very well. There was a moment of frustration I think after "it's too blotchy, it too smooth," but you pulled through. You definitely have the intelligence and technical skill to be a retoucher! Now you should focus on your "eye." Compare your work to Vogue, spot the differences. Keep retouching large images and posting for critique - it's the quickest way to improve.

As long as you have some business sense and dedication, I think you absolutely have the makings of a high-end retoucher. Keep it up.

Last edited by mikedimples; 12-12-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2009, 09:59 PM

Eeek, I just zoomed in to 100% on the eyes in the full version and they look extremely artificial - like cheap contact lenses. If you would post an image of the burning eye look you were trying to emulate, I'd be happy to help you make it look a little more professional.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching