Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Critique required please

Old 12-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Critique required please

Hi All,

Been shooting a friend (female dj) again recently and trying to take my shots up a level both with lighting and post pro. I would like to hear your opinions.

I've tried to incorporate a lot of different styles, attitudes and looks. Bear in mind, at this point I still haven't got any flashes or softboxes or umbrellas etc.

Caught in the headlights....

Petty In Pink

Record Box, not finished with retouching this one as it's out of focus, just messing with compositing

Fur Coat....

Magazine type retouch

Mag b4

Club Violet

And she wanted one for he dad.....

Tips and pointers appreciated. Also what would you charge for this set bearing mind sourcing the backgrounds and post?

Thanks for taking a look.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Last edited by SchlinkyMalinky; 12-11-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Re: Critique required please

Nice work. I see some problems with color fringing around your extracted model. After you have her on her own layer, clip a new layer (hover mouse in between the two layers while holding alt, then click) set to color mode, then eyedrop a background color and paint it on the color fringed areas.

Is this dodge and burn? Looks pretty good. Nice texture retention, but it's still a little too rough.

I'm impressed that you understand how to match images taken with a wide angle to a wide angle background, but I'd watch where you place the model in relation to the horizon. In for example she'd be standing in the floor.

How much would this set cost? Unfortunately, you can get this quality retouching on ModelMayhem for around $5-$15 per pic. It's sad, but now that everyone has photo-editing software, the creative, non-high end market is super-saturated. Not even worth the time required to retouch in many cases. Compare your work/pricing to what you see in this thread:

Backgrounds of that quality could be obtained for free from Deviantart/

Last edited by mikedimples; 12-11-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Re: Critique required please

Thanks for taking the time mike, it's the first time I've tried green screen and tried a number of different approaches, near the end of my lil experimentation I found this
.........which provides a nice end result and includes the clipping layer you mentioned but I ended up only using it on one image. It's all dnb btw it's a fine line between perfection and OTT, thanks for the helpful feedback. (oh and the two sites you mentioned are where I got most of the backgrounds )

Topitoo, it's a shame you only looked at the first one, maybe I made a mistake putting the worst one first, they get better as you move down the list. It's nice that you're in another town, I'm an expert in music production and I try to help people that aren't at my level rather than just tell them I'm better (but that's just me)

Things I've learnt, masking a fur coat is a PITA, you can get decent results if you put the time in, colour balance is a great tool but the main thing I've learnt is I have alot to learn
I welcome all constructive feedback so if anyone else has any helpful pointers I'm all ears

Oh and btw I meant how much for providing these shots from scratch including the photo session?

Last edited by SchlinkyMalinky; 12-11-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching