RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Dodging and Burning Help plus critique

Old 12-12-2009, 11:10 AM

Dodging and Burning Help plus critique

First Post. I am a newbie working hard to develop my retouching skills and have been spending a lot of time reading the great post on the site. One of the areas that I still do not have a good handle on is dodging and burning. I understand how to technically do it but not exactly sure when and where to apply it. As I look through everyones work this seems to be the difference between good work and great work. Maybe this is what separates the artists from the rest of the world but I would appreciate any pointers that you may have. I have also include a pic that I would appreciate any critique that you may have. My 17 year old baby face son wanted me to take "Fashion Shot" but wanted to look a bit more grown up. I have included the before and after shot for your reference. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final Retouch.jpg (72.7 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg Baby Face Starting Image.jpg (69.0 KB, 156 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2009, 06:51 PM

Re: Dodging and Burning Help plus critique

You did a good job retouching the image.
D&B technique can be used in different ways; when it comes to faces and skin, D&B is used to even out skin tones and minimize pores and small skin imperfections. It can also be used to contour noses and cheeks, etc.
On a larger scale, it can be used to downplay or highlight certain areas of the picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2009, 10:08 PM

I really like what you've done with the values (light and dark) of his face and body. You almost gave him a slight tan. Was this all dodge and burn? It almost has the look of HDR/tonemap emulating software like Topaz adjust or Lucis.

You should either crop a little higher or somehow eliminate the white triangular patch at the bottom. Also, this image should be straightened.

There's ONE major thing that's holding this image back: that cast shadow from the on-camera flash. Since on-camera-flash essentially turns an image into a snapshot (unless you're Terry Richardson), you definitely want to remove it. I'd use the pen tool for the body and alpha masking for the hair. After you have extracted him, use a nice, clean gradient for the background to give it that professional edge.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2009, 10:46 PM

Mike and i-inspire thanks for your comments. Mike I like all of your recommendations and the shot did leave the Orbis Ring signature shadow. That will be my homework for tomorrow. As far as the conversion it was all done in CS3. The primary effect was created by a double raw conversion with the top layer pushing fill light, blacks, and clarity and set to a blend of luminosity. (Learned from Calvin Hollywood). Then used HP sharpening and D&B. I will try to take this image up a notch to see if I can make stand out. Thanks again. Still interested in any D&B knowledge that others may want to share.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2009, 11:04 PM

Oops, forgot to post these links:

Tutorial 1: http://everythingsmagic.deviantart.c...oria-131479814

Tutorial 2: http://nienna1990.deviantart.com/art...rt-1-101369803 (part 1)
http://nienna1990.deviantart.com/art...rt-2-101370039 (part 2)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching