RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

simple retouch

Old 12-20-2009, 09:58 PM

Re: simple retouch

Dear LindyM...

Sorry if I went on and on and on. Don't know what they put in my egg nog.

Hope I didn't come off as being rude or offensive in trying to make a rather circuitous point about playing nicely here in our little sandbox.

Hope you are doing well. Take care. Alan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2009, 11:48 PM
Patron

OOPs, I forgot my manners.... LindyM, Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. It seems as if you have already poked around some. Feel free to ask questions, offer help, and I hope you enjoy your stay here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyM View Post
0lBaldy, you really think you made the image better ? it looks like really bad HDR.
and you smeared the lip/chin.
Lets get real here, I am not going to spend the time or effort to dodge and burn, color correct, and make all the corrections necessary to provide you with a print ready masterpiece... No, I don't think I made it any better just different.. like in offering a different approach.. this is a help forum and I was offering suggestions which I thought might help.. with an example, not a finished work.

I think you should re-visit your picture and turn your critical eye inward and toward your own work with as much gusto as you do others, it might be more productive and beneficial to you in the long run.. After all, you are the only critic that really counts!

Did you read this part at all...?... "YOU might lighten the harsh shadows and put some sparkle in the eyes and on the lips and mute the highlights some. The landscape crop is nice but somewhat distracting... so my personal preference would be a portrait crop and get rid of the distracting red areas..

Maybe something like this"

The shadows are harsh, and the dark cheek looks more like a bruise than anything else, therefore, I suggested you lighten it.. same with the dark line down from the corner of her mouth to her chin, I felt it could be lightened also...The highlights could also be toned down some.. I would expect that you can and would do a better job of the repair! It was merely a suggestion of some things YOU could do to improve and possibly make the picture better.

Its only an opinion.. you can accept the criticism and try the fixes or reject it, which you have obviously done as it seems obvious that you are satisfied with the way your picture looks now... Thats OK, because all we can do is try and help.. the rest is up to you,
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2009, 08:24 AM

it would be nice to see the original picture to compare with your retouch.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2009, 11:52 AM

LindyM, you talk a lot of Sh*t for someone with amateur retouching skills, why dont you fall back and take some of these comments like an adult, maybe you'll improve your skills.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2009, 02:59 PM

Hello

I use level for decrease Red and add blur background then fixed woman's face and neck with blur tool and reduce noise after set sharpen a lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user77952_pic1796_126119059.jpg (94.3 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2009, 03:57 PM

I agree it would be nice to see the original

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user77952_pic1796_126119059.jpg (89.9 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2009, 04:18 PM

Dear Gmun...

That seems unnecessarily harsh. Even if your retouching skills are phenomenal, your social skills could use some work. You really don't have to give voice to every single thought that enters your mind. And there's no need to get into ripping into people personally. Calling someone an amateur or amateurish seems just plain stupid, because we've all been amateurs. Oh how quickly we forget.

The fact is that we're all on a learning curve. And we're all pretty close to the beginning of that curve, because that curve just gets bigger and steeper over time. The more we learn, the more we begin to understand the enormity of what we don't know.

We can all learn something from LindyM's work. Something to do, something not to do, something to think about, maybe it's something about how to accept criticism without getting defensive (something many of us learned in art school and have been trying to recover from ever since -- there's actually something to be said for having confidence and believing in what you do, but of course that can also make it harder to take in new ideas -- hard to know which is worse being too confident or too open to criticism).

If nothing else, LindyM has somehow managed to make you feel somewhat superior today (although I'm not sure that that would be called learning). Your eagerness to criticize him and his work at a personal level though seems like something you might want to think about. What is that about?

If you believe your skills are better than LindyM's and you get some level of satisfaction from that, is that a good thing? Do you draw another level of self-satisfaction in putting down both him and his skill level? What's your motivation? Is there anything positive to be learned from it? And is this leading to a fight on the playground?

Everyone expresses themself a little bit differently, and words don't effectively carry people's intentions or meaning (most people are pretty awkward in their written communication). Always the potential for misunderstanding and miscommunication and for seeing things in the words that were never meant. Words are not as precise as we have come to believe.

85% of communications take place at a non-verbal level. So words alone only give us a small part of the communications picture (and even in person with all the non-verbal clues there is plenty of room for misunderstanding). Probably better to give people the benefit of the doubt even when their words seem really clear.

And of course I'm assuming that I've probably completely misunderstood your meaning here as well. Hopefully we can all do better in the future.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2009, 04:41 PM

Why can't we all just get along!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2009, 06:20 PM

Dear aartist...

Great point. I think we all do better when we focus on the work.

Didn't mean to offend. Giving myself a little time out. I'll just be sitting over in the corner.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching