RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

HP-LP Split Technique

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Quantum3 Quantum3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 911
Question HP-LP Split Technique

Hi guys and gals,

I'm understanding pretty much the split frecuencies technique but I'm always wondering how much blur should I apply to the LP layer. I have red that it should be blured as much as the Dgrunge dissapears but actually, I dinf that smaller radius works better. However, I don't know what I'm doing when blurring but guessing.

Any help?

Thank you very much for all your replies!

Merry Christmass and Happy New Year!

Mart

PS: remember to be better persons each day, get amazed looking a flower and the sky and remember who created all this! and forget materialism as much as possible!
Reply With Quote top
  #2  
Old 12-22-2009, 04:00 PM
mikedimples's Avatar
mikedimples mikedimples is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 238
Re: HP-LP Split Technique

Higher separation radius for blurring the low frequency layer, smaller separation radius for sharpening/cloning the high frequency layer. If you use a small separation radius for blurring, you'll end up blurring part of the texture which will give it that artificial pore/powerdry look. The lower the separation radius, the more definition of the facial features will be lost during the blur.

If you want to smooth the LF, make sure there is NO TRACE of skin texture in in the gaussian blur preview window during the separation. The higher the radius, the more you can get away with blurring the LF layer.

Once you separated and are applying the surface blur to a copy of the LF layer, toggle off the HF layer and smooth so you can more clearly see how much of the underlying tones are smoothed out. You are trying to only smooth out the blotchiness, not lose the definition of the shadows. When you think it looks good but before the depth of the face starts evening out, call it a quits. You don't want to blur the facial feature definition. Mask out the layer, then paint back onto the skin only where it needs it.

PS: I'm an atheist.

Last edited by mikedimples; 12-22-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top
  #3  
Old 12-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Quantum3 Quantum3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 911
Re: HP-LP Split Technique

Mmmhhh... I will put that in practice.

May I ask why are you atheist?
Reply With Quote top
  #4  
Old 12-22-2009, 04:20 PM
mikedimples's Avatar
mikedimples mikedimples is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 238
Re: HP-LP Split Technique

I don't personally feel the need for religion in my life. I love the beauty of nature, the wonder of artistic creation, the warmth of love, and I appreciate the short time I have on earth.

I understand that all cultures across the world have developed religions, it's just part of human nature. People don't like mystery in their lives, so religion helps fill that hole. I'm okay with the fact that I'll probably never know how the universe started, or if it even had a beginning.

I also tend to not believe things I don't see the logic of. So far, I have not heard logic supporting God that I've felt is adequate.

Now your turn, why do you believe in God?
Reply With Quote top
  #5  
Old 12-22-2009, 04:31 PM
madclark madclark is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 199
Re: HP-LP Split Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedimples View Post
I don't personally feel the need for religion in my life....
And here I just thought you were a pretty face with those dimples. Excellent sentiment.
Reply With Quote top
  #6  
Old 12-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Quantum3 Quantum3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 911
Re: HP-LP Split Technique

I believe in God for all the beautiful things you say

It's part of human nature because our nature is God, meaning we come from Him and somehow, we want to reach Him in different manners. Most people wrong/mistake the path towards God, but if you think, we all seek for joy/happiness, but most people seeks that joy/happiness in the material and temporal world instead in the ethernity of God.

You shouldn't try to grab God, which is infinite, with your mind (which is finite) and logical methods because God is unlimited. You cannot see all, and you cannot know every thing, as you said and it's right, but you can feel all. Where the reason isn't enough, there are the feelings. You have God inside your heart, definitely. Try to think about Him beyond the occidental idea of God. Chatolic Church is the first cause of atheism instead the opposite.

Religion means "Relation with the Divine". Religion comes from the Latin Religare, which means relation with the Divine.

Every creation has a creator, like the heat to fire, it cannot be unnatached. Darkness is not substancial, so darkness is the abssence of light, coldness is the abssence of warm, but coldness doesn't exists by it self, the same than the darkness. For the same reason, the creation cannot be untached from Its creator. The same the light comes from the sun, all come from God.

Many important scientists believed in God, such as Einstein or Nikola Tesla. Not the traditional way, of courser =D
Reply With Quote top
  #7  
Old 12-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Quantum3 Quantum3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 911
Re: HP-LP Split Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedimples View Post
Higher separation radius for blurring the low frequency layer, smaller separation radius for sharpening/cloning the high frequency layer. If you use a small separation radius for blurring, you'll end up blurring part of the texture which will give it that artificial pore/powerdry look. The lower the separation radius, the more definition of the facial features will be lost during the blur.

If you want to smooth the LF, make sure there is NO TRACE of skin texture in in the gaussian blur preview window during the separation. The higher the radius, the more you can get away with blurring the LF layer.

Once you separated and are applying the surface blur to a copy of the LF layer, toggle off the HF layer and smooth so you can more clearly see how much of the underlying tones are smoothed out. You are trying to only smooth out the blotchiness, not lose the definition of the shadows. When you think it looks good but before the depth of the face starts evening out, call it a quits. You don't want to blur the facial feature definition. Mask out the layer, then paint back onto the skin only where it needs it.

PS: I'm an atheist.
Very good reply, I think it¡s more clear. I'm retouching a picture right now, so I'm practicing your suggestions
Reply With Quote top
  #8  
Old 12-22-2009, 04:58 PM
mikedimples's Avatar
mikedimples mikedimples is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 238
Re: HP-LP Split Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Most people wrong/mistake the path towards God, but if you think, we all seek for joy/happiness, but most people seeks that joy/happiness in the material and temporal world instead in the ethernity of God.
What is the wrong way to God, and what is the right way? Most people, even you, feel that they know the right way to God. What makes you different? Are you Christian? What is the eternity of God? Heaven? What about people who worship a different God?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
You shouldn't try to grab God, which is infinite, with your mind and logical methods because God is unlimited. You cannot see all, and you cannot know every thing, as you said and it's right, but you can feel all. Where the reason isn't enough, there are the feelings.[You have God inside your heart, definitely. Try to think about Him beyond the occidental idea of God. Chatolic Church is the first cause of atheism instead the opposite. occidental.
What about all the billions of people who's emotions tell them that Allah is the one true God? Should they trust their emotions in the same way? I'm not going to dramatically change my beliefs due to a release of serotonin. If I really forced myself to believe that a goddess of light and warmth is watching over me, I'd experience the same feeling. Emotions aren't enough. In life, emotions tend to lead people down the wrong path much more often than logic. Emotion is to be embraced, but also analyzed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Every creation has a creator, like the heat to fire, it cannot be unnatached. Darkness is not substancial, so darkness is the abssence of light, coldness is the abssence of warm, but coldness doesn't exists by it self, the same than the darkness. For the same reason, the creation cannot be untached from Its creator. The same the light comes from the sun, all come from God.
Who created God?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Many important scientists believed in God, such as Einstein or Nikola Tesla. Not the traditional way, of courser =D
A small percentage do, but most do not.
Reply With Quote top
  #9  
Old 12-22-2009, 05:29 PM
gamedonechanged's Avatar
gamedonechanged gamedonechanged is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 308
Re: HP-LP Split Technique

I don't use this anymore as used in the 'degrundge' technique. I think it looks way too fake and plasticy.

I use the split technique you talk about but I just work on things per layer. So first I do the main bits to be healed and then work on the tones layer only. Then d&b.
Reply With Quote top
  #10  
Old 12-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Quantum3 Quantum3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 911
Re: HP-LP Split Technique

"What is the wrong way to God, and what is the right way? Most people, even you, feel that they know the right way to God. What makes you different? Are you Christian? What is the eternity of God? Heaven? What about people who worship a different God?"

"The right way is the harder way" Saint Francesco. It's easier controlling the wind than the mind. Imagine trying to control the wind, it's impossible, so imagine the mind... That's why is the hardest way. Becoming a lover of every form of life, becoming a pure soul full of love is the hardest way as well.

I'm not from any religion, because God is not a religion (in the occidental terms). God is beyond designations because He Is unlimited, there is not a different God, but different ways to comprehend Him. Shamely, men tries to catch God and jail Him into a "religion" and preach they own God and show Him like in some kind of fair. But God is beyond any religion and have so many names.

The ethernity of God is God itself and all his spiritual world, which is Him Self too. Most people call it Heaven.

"What about all the billions of people who's emotions tell them that Allah is the one true God? Should they trust their emotions in the same way? I'm not going to dramatically change my beliefs due to a release of serotonin. If I really forced myself to believe that a goddess of light and warmth is watching over me, I'd experience the same feeling. Emotions aren't enough. In life, emotions tend to lead people down the wrong path much more often than logic. Emotion is to be embraced, but also analyzed."

Their emotions are driven by the passion, and passion makes people ignorant. Passion is driven the body impulses and mind's wishes. It's all related to ignorance. As you say, just a release of serotonin is not enough, but the first step. God is wisdom in fullness, so to comprehend him we should be wise as well, but wise means knowing when and how to stop the mind trying to comprehend the Unlimited. People isdriven by emotions because they have not self control. Mostly by their ego more than the emotions, but all comes more or less at the same time. It's because they ignore the spirit. They have not self knowledge. They're mostly a messy and chaotic bunch of parameters driven by their ego, which is driven by the big illusion that you call reality. How can be real something that can be turned into a totally different thing? Reality is what's is for ever, not just for a period of time. Air turns into water, and then into molecules... So, how we can state that's water if it can be anything else? The same applies to reality.

"Who created God?"

No one created God. What's ethernal doesn't have a beginning or an end/finish, because He's unlimited/infinite.

"A small percentage do, but most do not."

Quality instead quantity.

Most genius men on earth believed and believe in God. Just to mention Nikola Tesla, he was the most genius on earth.
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is this Photographic Technique Called? Donamai Photo Retouching 25 08-24-2012 06:23 PM
Fine Art Technique _ManWithNoName_ Photo Retouching 38 02-20-2011 02:18 PM
Skin Smoothing Technique (Again) Novi Photo Retouching 10 10-16-2008 04:25 PM
Dodging and Burning - Technique Question longside1 Photo Retouching 14 01-28-2008 10:28 AM
Photograph Technique Puzzle booklady History, Conservation, and Repair 4 01-17-2008 07:50 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved