RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

My first attempt at High Pass

Old 12-24-2009, 07:54 AM

Re: My first attempt at High Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixxy View Post
I just tried to open this link and it said I don't have the right access :/
Same for me. Not sure what happened.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by de5m0mike View Post
Ok, so I've been playing around with this for a couple hours now and at first I didn't understand the whole point of it. How was using the clone stamp tool on the high frequency layer any different than just using the healing brush tool? Then I started playing around and painting on the low frequency layer and it all made sense. This is really quite cool. I've been using photoshop for close to 12 years and I would have never figured this out on my own. And I'm pretty sure there is nothing in the manual about this either.
Haha... yes... that is. You can use the healing brush as well (I think it works better than the clone stamp).

You know I have been looking what about different radius of blur. I asked a guy from here how much blur should be applyed and he told me "the more blur, the better the texture extraction", which is good but at certain point. The blur layer does exactly the same thing than the High Pass when you apply image. I had figured that the HP Technique is the Split Technique but without the splitting, even if the name says that, but now I understood the process. For example, do the splitting with a blurred layer of 4 px and then do another separated one with a blurred of 10 px then put a solid color between the LF and the HF in both examples and you will see how the different blur radius affects the texture. The radius works like a threshold of what would be considered texture and what wouldn't been. I think I will do an screenshot of this because it will be clearer.

Check the screenshot. It's the same portion of skin with different splits. One is based in a 4px radius and the other with 10px. This difference will affect the way you edit those layers, meaning that doing different splits will have different effects on the texture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Split.jpg (74.7 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2009, 06:22 PM

Just a word of warning, these techniques make a very fake, powdery look if done the wrong way. Use degrunge as a starting point for your retouch, but don't try smooth all the blotchiness with it. I think the OP went a little too far with it and should have preserved more information on the high pass layer. A portion of the skin detail was blurred, which gives it that slightly artificial look. In my opinion, the top image I'm attaching is the right way to do it (I cloned a couple of blemishes on the high frequency layer in addition to the blur on the LF), the bottom is the wrong way (heavy blur on the LF layer with not enough detail on the HF layer).

Done the RIGHT way: http://a0.vox.com/6a0110184cd071860f011016832c98860c-pi

Done the WRONG way: http://a1.vox.com/6a0110184cd071860f0110186b86d1860f-pi
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2009, 01:48 AM

Very instructive comparisson, Mike. You know I'm always trying to "unblotch" as much as possible and trying to keep it real. It's like an obsession of making the image looking perfect, so I tend to degrunge more than needed. I know the cause of the grunge on images and it's mostly because it's digital. It's a deffect of the digital image more than any other thing. I think the best way to achieve perfection is taking a look more to how the light interacts with the skin texture than looking just at the texture. At the end, we are just adjusting luminosity values... Someday I hope achieving what I'm looking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2009, 05:20 AM

High Pass

It was once in the news that a study was conducted to prove that high hdl cholesterol helps a man to live up to 100. Can you believe that? Do you know why hdl is called the good cholesterol in the first place?

First, what is cholesterol? Cholesterol is not always a heart-constricting substance. In reality, it is a waxy matter found in all your cells. It helps your body build new cells and produces hormones. It is carried all around your bloodstream by being attached to proteins called lipoproteins. Basically not all of them are bad.

There are two types of lipoproteins. They are the low density lipoproteins (also known as the ldl or the "bad cholesterol) and the high density lipoproteins (also called the hdl or the "good cholesterol").
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2009, 03:42 PM

Pharma discounts maybe?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2009, 05:11 PM

Here is my first attempt on a new image using the "highpass sucks... separation of spatial frequency" technique. I think I prefer these results. What do you guys think?

Of course this model had pretty great skin to begin with

Original
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4069/...a072804a_b.jpg

Retouched
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/...e6a6e107_b.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2009, 08:59 PM

Hey Mike. Nice retouching you did. It's nice to mention who is the photographer and if possible, who's the model. Many people here already know who's the photographer, but's you know, protocol stuff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Hey Mike. Nice retouching you did. It's nice to mention who is the photographer and if possible, who's the model. Many people here already know who's the photographer, but's you know, protocol stuff.
The photographer is Grant Thomas http://www.modelmayhem.com/1049808 not sure on the model.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2009, 05:22 AM

oh my god.
that edit is gorgeous ;the only con I see is that skin is just a little more blurry on some parts..I'd say lower the opacity and that's all.
You could also use highlights to make it really pop.
Great job
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching