RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

My first attempt at High Pass

Old 12-22-2009, 07:28 PM

My first attempt at High Pass

I read a thread about how to use the high pass filter and I thought I'd give it a try. I'm not too crazy about the overly plastic look so I modified it a bit to suit my personal style. I also spent some time fixing up the hair. What do you guys think?

Before and After
http://modelmayhm-1.vo.llnwd.net/d1/...2dacc8b952.jpg

Last edited by de5m0mike; 12-24-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2009, 08:34 PM

Re: My first attempt at High Pass

I like it. The only thing is that I'd center her or put her into the 1/3 location. As it is, it looks a little...well..accidental.

How did you do the "flare" in the upper right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2009, 08:48 PM

White circle on a new layer. Blur the hell out of it. A curves layer is on top to add the yellow tint.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2009, 09:46 PM

I like it. It's an impressive result though I bet you spent a lot of time solving the skin details. How did you used the High pass?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2009, 11:32 PM

Very nice attempt. It's a bit hard to avoid the... smoothness under the texture. That's visible in your retouch and it looks a bit fake because of that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2009, 11:35 PM

I actually spent most of the time fixing stray hairs that probably didn't need to be fixed.

This is the tutorial I was following
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213
The main difference was I put a duplicate of the original layer back on top again and screened it back to 30% to bring back some of the imperfections in the skin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2009, 11:37 PM

Thanks for the link, will check it right now. I'm always thinking how to avoid the smoothness under the texture too, so hope this tut spill some light around here
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Very nice attempt. It's a bit hard to avoid the... smoothness under the texture. That's visible in your retouch and it looks a bit fake because of that.
What do you mean by "smoothness under the texture"? Are you talking about her neck and chest area? That was soft in the original because of the low depth of field the photographer shot her with. Or, is it something you are seeing in the face. I guess I'm just not seeing it. Maybe it's from the resize? What do you think of this crop of the original. Does it still feel a bit fake to you? Like I said earlier, this is my first attempt at this technique and if there is something I can do to make it better I'd love to learn.

http://modelmayhm-1.vo.llnwd.net/d1/...239bf851ec.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by de5m0mike View Post
What do you mean by "smoothness under the texture"? Are you talking about her neck and chest area? That was soft in the original because of the low depth of field the photographer shot her with. Or, is it something you are seeing in the face. I guess I'm just not seeing it. Maybe it's from the resize? What do you think of this crop of the original. Does it still feel a bit fake to you? Like I said earlier, this is my first attempt at this technique and if there is something I can do to make it better I'd love to learn.

http://modelmayhm-1.vo.llnwd.net/d1/...239bf851ec.jpg
I'm also learning. I don't know how to avoid the "smoothness under the texture", but I'm figuring out how to avoid that more or less. You should try the separation frequencies technique, that's the best technique I have ever learnt.

With the smoothness I meant that the whole image looks nice, with pores and such, but the low pass layer (the blurred one) is too smooth. Highpass produces that kind of fake looking. The Highpass technique is very similar to the split frequencies technique, the difference is that in the split one you can manage the low pass and the high pass independently. The highpass does it all at once. The smooth under the texture is the Low Pass (now I get the meant!). I don't know if retouchers do another version for smaller sizes, but what they do looks great at full res and at lower res... Wondering how they achieve that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2009, 04:57 PM

Do you have a link to any information on the separation frequencies technique? I'd like to try that out as well.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching