RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:53 PM

Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Are you serious? You can see my posts on his forum where I don't even know anything about it... get over yourself, zganie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2010, 05:28 PM

Hey all. I'm happy to say that we were able to deliver 99% of the pre-orders on time, before midnight PST yesterday, and the remaining stragglers were taken care over the subsequent hours.

I've been receiving rave reviews on the Slickforce forum, but I know you will consider them useless coming from me so I won't waste your time.

A few weeks ago, I did ask Gamedonechanged to review the series early. After having read several of his posts, I felt he was a credible contributor whose unbiased opinion you would respect. However, due to last-minute interface and HD player upgrades, we ended up cutting it too close and I wasn't able to get him the advanced copy until only a few hours before the general public. And although he was the first customer to receive the series, I realize that he didn't have enough lead time to give you any reviews or feedback.

As I'm sure you can understand, my first priority was to take care of the customers who pre-ordered the series based on the available information, and insure that they received their orders on time as promised. I've read the other threads in this forum, and I know how frustrating it can be when you put your hard-earned money down and companies fall short on their promises.

Now that we're out of the pre-order phase, however, and the product is available and in deliverable form, I've decided to extend the introductory pricing, and I'll keep it up until at least a week after Game or other similarly credible members have had a chance to review the series.

It's not quite as low as the pre-order price, because I feel that would be disingenuous to pre-order customers. However, it's still a heavy discount on the retail price.

Thanks again for your feedback throughout this process.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2010, 03:40 AM

Review is on the way Nick.

Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2010, 11:30 AM

I have been reading these post for a couple days now. I can see both sides of why people would be skeptics and why its worth investing the money in the series. I believe its a long term investment in a career opportunity. There are no colleges to learn these techniques.

I went to The School Of Visual Arts, and didn't learn very much about PS or retouching. I have been venturing out on my own to teaching myself for years now and have been learning from anyone who is willing to teach about PS/retouching. Its been quite a frustrating process, and, I think the concept of people sharing their retouching skills, in general, is fantastic!! I teach people at the company I work at all the time, I wish there was someone to teach me when I was younger. I myself would one day like to sell tutorials and books, etc. Even go back to SVA and propose a better curriculum for the school on PS. I want to be extremely successful one day, and I think learning as much about PS/ retouching as possible can help me or anyone achieve their goals.

So yes, it is pricey, but I think if you are someone who wants to make this your career and you are obsessed with retouching as I am, it might be worth a shot. Plus, the DVDs are way cheaper than even a semester at SVA. haha.

I think the idea is too, is to learn as many techniques as possible and then make them your own, combining and intertwining the different concepts.

So, Good Luck Nick.

(The success of people like you and Natalia is where I would like to be at one day, so thanks for paving the way for the rest of us.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2010, 01:01 PM

Hi

i am a new member so Iam not sure what the retouchers are really looking for and what they excpect .

i am a photographer , i liked the technique so i got the dvds a few days ago ...from my point of view ( as a photographer ) the training nick put together is very good.

Most of the training covers some importent subjects :

- a lot of it is working with textures
- colour - mostly matching and smooting
- some of it covers light re touching ( very close to my interst ...you can check my work here to see what i mean
http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=229162

If you are a photographer who is retouching his own work ...this will be easy to learn . I have re touched some of my portrait and am now testing the client feedback ...finger crossed!

Re: Cost - i have never bought any dvds in the past so it is hard to compare ...it cost me 219 pounds + vat ...lets see how the client receive this technique ..but to my eye i should be able to earn from this easly ....

Thanks for sharing Nick !

Piotr Kowalik BIPP
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 10:42 AM

So, what's in this mystery meat anyway?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 01:33 PM

To be frank Flashtones I don't think you will find anyone going into any sort of level of detail on the actual techniques themselves here. I am writing a little chapter by chapter review of the DVD which should be up by the end of the way so maybe that will help some what.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedonechanged View Post
To be frank Flashtones I don't think you will find anyone going into any sort of level of detail on the actual techniques themselves here.
Why is that? Do you think people will think less of it, or are the techniques just too ninja-powerful to unleash?

I don't think full disclosure is hurting Natalia's sales. I think her well documented chapters, and chosing professional caliber retouchers to review her DVD fully shows the confidence she has in the applicability of her product to a professional audience. Nick has taken the opposite approach. I can't say if his sales will suffer for it overall, but I can tell you I've not been swayed.

I'm sure his videos have something to offer, I just don't know what, and if I had $350 to layout for training tapes I'd go for Natalia's PLUS Calvin Hollywood's, which combined are the same price as Nick's. I've seen extended samples of both their work (which they've willingly provided to all) so I know I'd get value for my money. Nick's given us nothing to demonstrate value.

It would take a lot of information, not "secrets," to compel me to lay out top dollar for his unknown product when I know I can get good value for less money elsewhere. But that's just me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
I think her well documented chapters, and chosing professional caliber retouchers to review her DVD fully shows the confidence she has in the applicability of her product to a professional audience. Nick has taken the opposite approach.
Meaow

As mentioned Nick offered it to Doug and Doug declined. He could have referred him onto someone else here but didn't. I'm not saying blame Doug but I am just pointing out he did make an attempt to get an early copy to test here.

Anyway I think it helps to get people from all levels to give reviews as let's face it, there will probably be a mixture of people with different retouching capabilities using this DVD.

All I will say about his technique is I have not seen it ever in any tutorial or thread discussion as a method for retouching. I guess the idea of keeping schtoom is too give the customers that paid some sort of exclusivity. You have 2 choices Flashtones.

- Either buy the series or
- Wait for more feedback to come out that might help you decide.

PS I think if you compare the price of the series to say doing a course at one of these lousy institutions that 'teach retouching' you will find that the price is reasonable. In fact I will admit to going on one such course last year and it cost me just under £1000. I probably learned more in Nicks series than on that entire course. It was my stupidity for not researching things more before signing up but hey you live and you learn right? It was only after I done that course that I signed up here ect.....

Good luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 02:51 PM

You're a good guy/gal Game, good luck to you too.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching