RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:07 PM

Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

I've watched a good amount of retouching videos. I've taken a class with Carrie Beene and saw the online webinar with Amy Dresser. Easily two of the best retouchers most would say. I just got Mastering Retouching a few days ago, and am about half way through it. The "Slick Force" way of fixing skin/problem areas is something I haven't seen any one else do. I'm not going to give it away, but it doesnt use any sort blur filter. The technique is actually pretty fun once you get the hang of it and you can really cut down the amount of time it takes to fix/smooth things out. The mindset of how it works and why it looks realistic is interesting too, Nick does a good job of explaining this. Its also easy to control how much smoothing you want.

Another thing no one has made a big deal about is "The Matrix" Its a section on the slick force where you can get feedback from Nick and all the other people who bought the dvd. Theres also other good resources available in The Matrix like user photos to practice retouching. Even though the series has been out for a few days, there are 15+ topics on retouching relating to the series. If have any questions there going to get answered there, Nick will probably answer them his self which says something about his customer service.

If you were new to retouching I would HIGHLY recommend buying this. I still would recommend this to any one who has been retouching for a few years. You might know the tools of photoshop and how they work, but there are some hugee time savers in this series. Nick shows you exactly how he gets his look, he doesn't leave any thing out like a few other people have. The models you see on his site are what you can come up. If any one has any questions I'd be happy to answer them, or if you want to see some before/afters just using the techniques used in the series. I think the series provides solid time efficient way to retouch for any type of fashion/portrait/glamor photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2010, 05:46 PM

Corey, you and Matt are not unbiased posters, but seem to be friends with Nick and helping him with his promotions.

The issue I have and probably many others is not the content, but the price. Nick has talent and he definitely markets well, but I think he missed the price point. Now that's my opinion. Do a search on the web...any other DVD's out there worth purchasing for $350? Remember Nick started at $700 with a $200 discount. I even feel Natalia's is priced too high, but Nick's has made her's a distinct bargain.

Last edited by skydog; 02-06-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2010, 01:51 AM

I just finished watching the series. In the end I think it was expensive, but I definetly learned something (ok, I'm a beginner!). It feels like you watch a training by a retoucher rather than a computer geek and I can safely say that the retouched work using his technique looks far far better than what I got with Photoshop AddOn's like Portrait Professional or Portraiture (I used both in the past, but most likely won't in the future). For me, the training was also significantly better than what I saw on Kelby Training. For me it was worth the money! And no, I don't know Nick nor did I know about him a week ago.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2010, 06:53 AM

Everything out there is better than Kelby or Lynda.com, indeed. I have spent lot of hours watching lynda's DVDs and learnt nothing really useful. Not to mention that more than half DVD is all the same shit about color correction, differences between file types, color profiles, calibration, basic explaniations about the tools and more ultra basic stuff. Then you get, after hours of watching the same shit, some little tip. The only cool DVD from lynda is the one about channels and masks. Hope Nick's DVD woudln't be the same than Lynda's DVD's.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 08:19 AM

Hey everyone, I prepared a lengthy review of this product, feel free to check it out at:

http://www.nevershotfilm.com/?p=9

After reading this thread I'm painfully aware that this is my first post on this forum, but I have no relationship to Nick other than being a purchaser of his product.

I tried to be as thorough and honest as I could in the review and would appreciate any feedback you'd like to give me.

Thanks,

Brent
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 11:21 AM

Brent, you did a good job on that review. I look forward to your one on Calvin's too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeshazer View Post
Hey everyone, I prepared a lengthy review of this product, feel free to check it out at:

http://www.nevershotfilm.com/?p=9

After reading this thread I'm painfully aware that this is my first post on this forum, but I have no relationship to Nick other than being a purchaser of his product.

I tried to be as thorough and honest as I could in the review and would appreciate any feedback you'd like to give me.

Thanks,

Brent
Very good review. It seems that in 6 DVD just the Slick Force and that thing with the color selection is the only cool things. I don't see any substantial difference between Slick Force and Frequencies (not talking about portraiture). Could you put more images and if possible, some before Nick's and after Nick's? Specially in those chapters that seem to be good as the one of something about shit, because it's hard to draw a conclusion if those DVD are worthy not only paying, but also viewing. Money comes and go, but time doesn't. I don't think Nick will be against of putting some before and afters because that will clear many of the doubts we have here. You know how is this, the only way to check the value of something is by comparisson.

Thank you very much for the review, it enlights a bit more.

mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 03:02 PM

This is my FIRST post and I'm sure I'll get flamed 50 ways before Sunday. I'm a photographer first and a frustrated PS user third or fourth when it comes to priorities in life.

I have, in possession and as a paying customer, Nick Saglimbeni's Slickforce Mastering Retouching series. I downloaded the series and the DVDs themselves are to be shipped in March. I have viewed Levels 1-3 and have started to work with Levels 1 & 2. I paid $300 on the first pre-order offering for the now available downloads and to be shipped DVDs.

I also own Vitaly Druchinin first DVD (paid $99 on special) and have on pre-order Natalia Taffarel's DVD (was offered a special price for being a previous customer of $150).

What I do like about Nick's style of teaching is that it's a fairly laid back and a near "hand-holding" guiding through his workflow and also encouragement of "go ahead and screw it up". The Slickforce technique is a new (new to me or different) take on "blur" and airbrushing style. This so far isn't a "pore-by-pore" retouch like Vitaly nor what I'd expect from Natalia.

So, does this mean the Nick's Slickforce DVDs are without merit? No, there is merit to the technique.

For me, I'm a shooter first and approach my shoots as if Photoshop doesn't exist and there is no budget for retouch. Tends to save on the time and energy spent on post later:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/8936 Yes, much of my work IS PS'ed, some of it I've done and much of it I send out.

I think that Nick's Slickforce Mastering Retouching is a good base/ start for the beginner/ intermediate Photoshop user. Is the whole technique of Slickforce going to become the path I choose to tackle all of my retouch? Probably not. With what I wish to achieve with my photography isn't quite on the same path as Nick's, though I wouldn't mind my career paralleling Nick's! 100 magazine covers? PETA ads? Nick HAS a good and successful photographic career shooting celebs and models for Maxim/ FHM. And he has developed a method to "crank out" a large workload.

Going through the Slickforce method has also led me back to Vitaly's DVD as well as going back through Gry Garness' book as well. It's turned on a few lightbulbs for me and so I think that it has merit.

Now, for $300, I've been to a one-day PS bootcamp that was an absolute waste of time, 8hrs and $300 I'm never getting back.

If you don't like Nick Saglimbeni's photography, then you're really going to hate this DVD series. It's pinup style work. If I had to pay more than the $300 I have paid... I may feel that it was awfully stiff for the series. I do feel that the $300 I paid is on the high end but just about right.

Do I feel that the method being taught is for everyone? Nope... I don't. Those whom are quite advanced are probably not going to get much out it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 08:11 PM

Sorry guys...I'm just too damn cynical and skeptical. Again I say...show me any highly rated DVD retouch or photoshop series at this price. Who is Brent? He writes well. His posting is slick..kinds "looks" like a professional website, but nothing else is there except this review and a posting of Calvin's DVD ( no content). Is this review posted on an empty "slick" site suppose to give credibility to the review and the product? Is this why Calvin is there for association? Sorry Brent with no name...I just don't buy it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 08:51 PM

Whats the format of the download version? ISO or AVI? Thanks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching