RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:14 PM

Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineX View Post
Whats the format of the download version? ISO or AVI? Thanks
Neither, the video files themselves are quicktime movie files. The interface is an html web interface with embedded flash video players that load the movies. The movies are directly playable in Quicktime if you desire to access them directly for some reason.

Overall the training is distributed as 6 separate .zip files, each file containing the complete folder structure for one training Level.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
Sorry guys...I'm just too damn cynical and skeptical. Again I say...show me any highly rated DVD retouch or photoshop series at this price. Who is Brent? He writes well. His posting is slick..kinds "looks" like a professional website, but nothing else is there except this review and a posting of Calvin's DVD ( no content). Is this review posted on an empty "slick" site suppose to give credibility to the review and the product? Is this why Calvin is there for association? Sorry Brent with no name...I just don't buy it.
Hey Skydog, the nevershotfilm.com "About" page lists my full name and the home page has links to my portrait sites ("blogroll"). From there you can find my contact information and the fact that I'm located in Topeka, Kansas, along with my studio phone number. Also, if you knew my first name was Brent, you might have been able to extract from my username here that my last name was "DeShazer"

You can also look up the whois information for the nsf domain name and get my full name and find out I registered it in March of 2008, almost two years ago. I initially intended to use this to write about some of my thoughts and musings on the photography industry in order to keep them off my regular site but never got around to it. I'll be posting some articles like this in addition to the reviews that will be the primary focus of the site.

I've been a member here since 2003 but never posted. In fact this was one of those sites that I just kind of visited once a year or so when I happened to think about it. All the recent mail messages about the live retouch webinars kind of "reminded" me about this site and I started lurking on the forums here a bit.

It's kind of the off-season for me right now as a I focus mainly on high school seniors and families, so I've spent a couple thousand $$$ on various photography and photoshop training programs the last couple months. Some of these have been good, some of them ok, some of them I wish I could get my money back for. When I was going over this I thought others could maybe benefit from my opinions on some of these products, so I decided to throw something together and see if it generated any interest. I did my first review on my most recent purchase which was Nick's series as it was still fresh in my mind. I'll be putting the review on Calvin's DVD together over the next week. My goal is to provide the same level of in-depth reviews for training materials such as this that dpreview.com does for cameras, with the caveat that reactions to products like these are much more subjective and less measurable than gear reviews.

Thanks for the comments on my writing, I work rather hard to try and express myself clearly. It's a somewhat natural talent I inherited from my father.

fyi, the "slick" web site is simply a self-installed Wordpress blog using the "Chronicle" theme. I changed the title image but other than that haven't made any other customizations.

Your skepticism doesn't offend me, I'm a bit of a skeptic myself. Hopefully as more reviews are added I can win you over. fyi I have about 20 or so additional products lined up as drafts, including products by Joel Grimes, Rod Evans, Frank Doorhof and Vitaly and Natalias DVDs. (I pre-ordered Natalias, hopefully it ships this week).

While an association is easy to prove, it's impossible to disprove an association so when I say I'm not associated with Nick and have never had any communication with him prior to yesterday (or Jan 30th, if you consider ordering his product via the web site communication) there is no way to offer you "proof" of this. I stand behind the statement and you're welcome to believe what you like.

I am real, and I do have a full name

Cheers,

Brent (DeShazer)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2010, 04:48 PM

thank you for the update. I look forward to your reviews in the future...you do write well and you provide good insight. As you mentioned, you have spend $$$ of training DVD's during the past year...some good...some bad. In your future assessment, please provide value for the money spent.

I'm sure Nick's DVD is good and there is something to learn (I learn every day)...I'm still struggling with the price vs everything else I'm aware of in the current market.

There is a risk with every choice...each of us chooses accordingly.

thanks again for getting me straight and I look forward to your future reviews.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2010, 11:16 AM

Hi,
I'm a bit curious about the project you have lined up with me ?
Because I don't know about it ?

Greetings.
Frank Doorhof
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
Hi,
I'm a bit curious about the project you have lined up with me ?
Because I don't know about it ?

Greetings.
Frank Doorhof
Frank, there is no "project", I purchased your set of 5 DVD's recently and plan on writing reviews of them on my site like I did for Nick's and am in the process of doing for Calvin's.

Sorry if there was any confusion.

Brent
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2010, 04:13 AM

ah ok
no problem, I was just curious what was going to happen
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2010, 06:34 PM

Hi all
Like some people know i do also dvd tutorials.
But thats no reason for me dont buy other dvds to learn something new.
But when i buy other stuff i do not expect new techniques.

I like to see how other people work. I like to see /hear how other people think.
If i like to know how i have to use the clone tool i can search here in this forum.
But if i like to see how Nick use the clone tool i can watch the dvd.
(By the way.... i never saw someone else use the clone tool like Nick*g*)

For a trainer its very important that the people do not expect to much or the wrong.
If you are looking for high end beauty retouching in a 500 % zoom level - nicks dvd isent the right thing.
If you are looking for fast ways to retouch - Nick show you his way.
And if you watch nicks pictures you will see he is succesful with his technique.

The dvd bundle show all the important stuff from the clone tool to some special slickforce techniques.
I cant say if the dvd is the right thing for you.

For myself.... i didnt learn new things and new techniques (you have to know that i am a photoshop expert - hope thats dont sounds arrogant in this way).
But it was very interesting to see how Nick work.
There are some new experiences for me where i have to say: It was a lot of money but thats absolutly ok for me.

If you are a proffessional photographer with not so much photoshop experience the DVD Bundle will be perfect for you.
If you are doing all that for fun and if you know all the tutorials here on retouchpro the dvd bundle is not the right thing for you. (only if you have money and do not expect the wrong).

But please stop asking here again and again if Nick can show something.
I think if he like to show something he will do that.

lg Calvin
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2010, 08:25 PM

Calvin, thanks for chiming in here and your unbiased opinion. I'm a big fan and really enjoyed your DVD.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2010, 08:35 PM

Wow... Calvin, you rock! I think Nick should be feeling quite honored by this. Hope making a DVD and get your review too, haha ^^
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2010, 08:40 PM

Calvin...its not that I don't believe Nick can show us something...I'm sure he can.

My issue from the beginning is PRICE - still is. As you also said: "It was a lot of money but thats absolutely okay for me".
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching