RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:55 AM

Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

I've replied in a previous posting about Nick's DVDs.

I'm working through them because... it is hand-holding enough for me to get through a hump or plateau I have for sure hit in my workflow. I am by no means an expert at neither Photography (though I do get kind words about my work, discovering a living remains elusive) ad for sure NOT an expert nor even a learned padawan in Photoshop.

I for sure know just enough to get me into trouble.

Is the Slickforce set of DVDs expensive? Yes... it is.

Is it worth the price? With what I'm getting out of it... making me get back into some basics of PS that I may have missed or blown off... It's been proving me to be entertained and work at what I want from PS.

It is NOT my desire to become a baller at PS. I don't have the patience. I do wish to become better at my job as a photographer though, doing my own retouch as well as seeing my stuff retouched by those who are vastly better than I has helped me STEP UP my photography game greatly.

If there is someone on these boards who can do a "uts to bolts" instuction that can take someone from 101 Basics to something more respectable in... 2-4-6-8-10hrs... How much would YOUR time be worth? In the instruction layout to the production to the delivered product?

I am absolutely looking forward to Natalia's DVD and have ony just discovered the existance of people like Calvin and Frank Doorhof. I hope that they can further give me the education that I seek.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2010, 03:10 AM

Here's my example of using this technique:

http://photography.linke.de/2010/02/13/on-retouching/
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2010, 06:20 AM

Markus,
Very interesting article. If Nick's DVD just came out on the 30th of January, I can't
believe you could learn and give his technique justice in just 14 days? You accomplished this comparison in just the last two weeks? You've been busy. Thanks for the post.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
Markus,
Very interesting article. If Nick's DVD just came out on the 30th of January, I can't
believe you could learn and give his technique justice in just 14 days? You accomplished this comparison in just the last two weeks? You've been busy. Thanks for the post.
Thanks :o) I watched the Series and this was my very first attempt to practice. I'll will try to upload a Zoomified-version later on ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2010, 05:31 PM

gamedonechanged...you were so excited to get this DVD...in fact you were going to provide a review as soon as you received it...so tell us your feedback.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2010, 05:47 PM

Yes, tells us your feedback, gamedonechanged, tell us, please, tell us your feedback, gamedonechanged, please, tell us!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2010, 06:07 PM

Has anyone seen anything compelling here yet?

I get that some beginners are learning some things, but are they getting better results than they'd get from much cheaper offerings from Kelby and Lynda?

I've seen nothing that would cause me to spend $350 for this. Not with all the other values out there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2010, 08:04 PM

Good point flashtones. Gamedonechanged has spent a lot of $$$ recently on DVD's...I'd love to see a before and after pic of his newly acquired skills. As Nick said, his DVD should give you a compeditive edge over the rest of us who failed to put down the $$$.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2010, 07:12 AM

Hi Skydog apologies for the late reply. I has some unexpected things come up at work so I haven't really had much spare time to do that review. I did sit down one evening last week to do one but noticed someone else on here had already done an impressive in depth review so I have decided not to do one myself as id only be echoing what he has said.

As far as the presenatation goes and the customer download experience I don't have any issues here, I think everyone who has purchasedm it will concur that it was a pleasant experience without any issues.

But I think what people want to most want to know about is the content itself or more specifically the technique. My personal view (and I am only a beginner trying to get to the next level) that the type of retouching shown in this DVD can get good quick results when dealing with glamour or fashion shots. Although Nick demonstrates using it well on a headshot I think id probably be more inclined to use traditional methods such as D&b which of course take a lot longer.

I did say at the time that when commenting on it here I wouldn't give the technique away and id like to stand by that. Because of this it's hard to go into too much detail. The slickforce technique is actually quite simple however id not something that previously id have thought to use in the way he does. It's something that like anything takes practice to master however as you can see from his covers you can get good looking results in a short space of time, I guess it comes down to what kind of retouching you are interested in. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2010, 03:12 AM

Wow! This thread has been an interesting read for someone who came too late to the party, as it seems.

My mind was awash with much venom at the beginning, but I am happy to see that it has become more tempered as things have progressed.

As a completed newbie to this forum, let me off a couple of things to think about. While I am new to this forum, I am a studio owner who handles the bulk of my own retouching.

I understand that the price point of this series seems quite steep to some, if not most, of the posters here. I will admit to having deep and abiding second thoughts about handing over more then $300 for a video series. For some reason, at $299 I was leaning towards giving it a try. Now that I see that it is now almost $400 to have a hard copy plus electronic access, I am not willing to jump in without knowing a whole lot more about the system.

Is it fair to judge the worth of educational materials that have the potential to increase studio sales by a "gut feeling" price point? Maybe not, but I have to make those kind of decisions all the time, and my gut has served me well for a number of decades.

What might decrease my aversion to the current (and possibly the "suggested retail") price? Some reviews with actual before and after shots would go a long way in that regard. So far, I really haven't seen anything that proves the concept that an average photographer can have a credible output, using this system. I'm going to need to see a lot more of the system and what can be done with the system before I'll buy in.

I have no data to prove or disprove this system. It may be completely bullet proof and worth three times the offered price. I have no way of knowing. Like many here, I have plunked down many times more than this for seminars that I had trouble staying awake through, so why not give it a try?

My business sense tells me that the author is upping the market price way too soon, and the final landing price point is just a bit too high to make sense for a great number of photographers. Had he kept the pre-release pricing in place until a sufficient review base and market buzz were created, the product may have received a great enough demand to justify the MSRP. As it stands, it's a high priced crap shoot.

From what I have read and seen about this DVD set, here is my opinion:
At $199 - this set would be a "buy it now".
At $299 - I need to know a little more, but it sounds interesting enough to possibly try.
At $399 - I'm going to need to see a LOT more before I commit.
At $499 - There's no way that I'm in without seeing most of the system and not without some high power recommendations from people that I know.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching