RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:44 AM

Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

DRalston...welcome to the forum. I believe you are $100 off in every case and even at $100 I'd still tell a member to be cautious. $100 is $100. Have you bought a DVD set before? If so tell me what you bought, what you thought and what you paid. Tell me one DVD series you bought over $200 worth buying. You talk of work flow...you can buy lightroom and a Lightroom DVD for the price of this series and still have change left over. Who do I recommend a DVD series to? A beginner, someone who knows nothing about Photoshop and/or retouching and who wants learn the basics quickly..and this you can find for less than $100. And yes, seminars at $300 are also not worth the money for the lessons. I do find them beneficial for the networking. I often learn more from the participants than the instructors.

Last edited by skydog; 02-27-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2010, 11:07 AM

I'm sorry that you were either confused by my logic, or missed the point entirely. I'm not $100 off. I'm making the point that at $100 less than the pre-release price, it would ring in as a "deal".

I have DVD's lining my book case. Some were over the price of this series and well worth every penny - and more! If you learn something that causes you to make one more sale, you have well paid for the system. If you continue to increase sales numbers because of what you have learned, the learning was a bargain. In contrast, I have paid $19.95 for a DVD that was a complete rip off.

It sounds like you don't value learning as much as I do. I recommend DVD's to anyone who is a visual learner and enjoys the luxury of playing things over and over. Your overall experience level has nothing to do with it. There is no such thing as being too smart to learn!

Seminars, if they are presented correctly are also well worth the money for their content alone. I go to learn, not to network. I do agree with you that, quite often, you do learn more from other participants than you do from the instructors - but that is the nature of participatory education.

A professional photographer who quits learning quickly goes stale and falls behind quickly becomes an endangered species in today's market.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2010, 01:06 PM

The original problem here at least for me was the marketing terms used on the explanation of each of the topics covered. It wreaked of a snake oil salesman, with the "black belt in retouching" and "stuff the professionals won't tell you".
The original OP wanted opinions of what people thought of the DVD and each of the posters gave their own opinions (even if the DVD wasn't even out yet), it escalated when newbies to the forum just came in to defend the producer of the DVD and nobody really answered key questions to disprove that the language used was to lure in the newbies.

You never stop learning, but most of the stuff out there isn't for the advanced user so one ends up thinking it was a waste. There are times when you learn one thing new that revolutionizes your work, but be honest... How often does this happen? Are you willing to drop the $ each time to see if this time it will pay off? That is the main decision one has to make, and by the looks of it some people did buy the DVD and others didn't...

For me at least I prefer to search the web and find other ways to learn than to buy dvd's. To quote Godmother "there are no secrets" and I have found this to be true...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2010, 01:23 PM

Apparently the "secret" skin techniques of this series are similar to those in this online tutorial:

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/art...01733&seqNum=3

Namely, heal tool then low opacity clone smearing on a blank layer above.

So once you get past the secrets, is this series justifiably worth so much more than others that will teach you the basics of glamor retouching for far less money?

The question was never whether video tutorials are a good way to learn, etc, but whether this one was worth the premium over so many others.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2010, 02:46 PM

DRalston...no you didn't get my point. I don't agree with you that it is a buy at $199..lets start at $99 and that's if it is worth a damn. So please tell me just one series that were "over the price of this series and well worth every penny".
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2010, 03:11 PM

I wouldn't burn you 6 DVD's for $99, let alone sell you the content contained therein. What eBay outlet do you shop at to believe that those prices are at all real world?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2010, 04:21 PM

Just tell me "one" DVD you've paid for at the same price that you recommend.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2010, 03:09 PM

Probably Natalias.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2010, 06:14 PM

Game...read his response again: " I have DVD's lining my book case. Some were over the price of this series and well worth every penny - and more!"

Game.."some" is more than one and Natalias is UNDER Nick, not "OVER" Nick.

And Game..Natalia's may be the new "high price" standard. Show me another at the $250 price that is comparable.

If others can afford these high prices, like you, then go for it. I, however, just can't see the value and I'd rather put my money somewhere else.

Last edited by skydog; 02-28-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2010, 02:10 AM

Well to be honest it's been mentioned a few times now but Natalias and Nicks are aimed at different audiences. It's chalk and cheese so please don't make comments like one I under or over the other, especially as you have seen neither.

At the end of the day you have made your point that you don't see any value in it so I don't see what you are trying to acheive in dwelling on the same point. No one is forcib you to buy it.

Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching