RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:51 AM

Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

I still would like to know what DVDs he has lined on his shelf that he is recommending at this price.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 12:55 PM

Can somebody who saw Nick's DVD tell us what tools are used for his technique? (I don't want the whole tutorial, just wondering whether to buy it - i want to know a little bit more about it).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 01:35 PM

santoro80, you should reread Calvin's post, he gave a hint: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...tml#post258904
And Flashtones stated, that the technique is similar to this one: http://www.peachpit.com/articles/art...01733&seqNum=3 (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...tml#post260347)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 02:45 PM

I know what Flashtones stated, but I thought he is only guessing. I didn't know he watched the DVDs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 06:03 PM

I own both Nick's and Natalia's DVDs (along with misc others). They serve different purposes. It's not about the tools it's about getting inside the artists head and seeing their approach to using the tools, their workflow, etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2010, 06:51 PM

I'm still recovering from the initial cost of this series, but as somebody also mentioned in this thread, you have to spend money to make money. And although there is no school of retouching I found that besides the Slickforce technique, some of his other techniques are not super advanced. I don't think I've used the eraser tool, ever. But that's just me and my inability to throw away information (i.e. i mask everything).

I do think the Slickforce technique should be common knowledge, especially if you're an artist, but it was nice to have it reinforced in these tutorials. I liked the delivery method and the easy to follow instructions. All the videos are nicely produced and not too lengthy.

However, I would've liked to see more difficult cases for this method. Most of his models are near perfect already so it doesn't show how this effect would work on real people. I do like a lot of the control this technique gives you, as opposed to plugins and a few other automated techniques, but it is rather time consuming depending on the difficulty of the image.

All the other tutorials in this set were a bit redundant for me, so I'm not sure if it was really worth the $350 but if you can afford it, it may help you out.

Here is a link to the before and after image I used the Slickforce technique on.

http://www.pixeluxstudios.com/clients/bp/tada.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2010, 07:01 PM

Well at least this shows that you not always have to see the product in order to have an idea of what it is based on the page.... This is exactly what I was thinking, the only thing I'm still curious about is the slickforce technique which I think it may be a derivative if not the same as the degrunge technique...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2010, 07:20 PM

It's not the same as the degrunge, however you do get similar if not better results as it allows more control. I tried to use the degrunge technique first, as it was free, but for the image I needed it for, degrunge just wasn't sufficient.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
Well at least this shows that you not always have to see the product in order to have an idea of what it is based on the page.... This is exactly what I was thinking, the only thing I'm still curious about is the slickforce technique which I think it may be a derivative if not the same as the degrunge technique...
I can say for sure it is in no way whatsover a derivative of that technique.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2010, 07:59 PM

I know it's not the technique (I mentioned above what I think the technique is and linked to an online tutorial) but to me the result of the Slickforce technique shares the appearance of making a selection of the skin, jumping it to it's own layer, applying surface blur and then selectively adjusting opacity with a layer mask.

I've messed around with the technique from the online tutorial and got frustrated with my efforts. As such, I think surface blur would be easier all round.

Once I've actually seen the videos I might feel otherwise, but from where I stand now I think surface blur looks similar, would be simpler and probably faster to do.

That's all assuming one wants the plasticized skin look in the first place.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching