RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:46 AM

Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

I might as well contribute to bump the thread!

or maybe you need to have just one post to do that efficiently?

lol

(this is entertaining tho)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2010, 07:17 AM

FWIW I have the series (paid in full) and I have no regrets at all.
First question to ask yourself, "Do you like his work..?"
Not everything in the series was new and might full well be available on line elsewhere, the worth in my mind was that everything was in one place. The techniques are tools plain and simple, and I appreciate how Nick teaches restraint and maintaining detail. I wont give away the secret sauce but it is different than a "Beauty Retouch", which one is right?..depends. You could watch one tutorial and suddenly like the phrase goes. To a hammer everything is a nail..
The series is entertaining and thus far Nick and come accross as a stand up guy, if you believe that your current method of retouching is the best then you might want to avoid. If you can approach it with an open mind, your time is worth something, and you're looking to add some new tools to the tool box then by all means look into it.
I will say this, Nicks methods are faster than the Beauty Retouch methods, not every image warrants 6 hours of dodge n burn. Again, not saying right/wrong just more options..

Just my $.02
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
I might as well contribute to bump the thread!

or maybe you need to have just one post to do that efficiently?

lol

I take that as a compliment
Everybody has their own personal approach to everything that they do.
I like Nicks work, i also like your work as well, however for me where I am located the demand is focused on the type of work that Nick does. Now I still think I should learn as much techniques as possible to better myself on a whole, but it has to make sense with what i am actually doing frequency wise. So i guess overall it would depend on those factors. both are skilled techniques and require practice, it all depends on the time you have available and the money you have to invest.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2010, 12:41 PM

I have the Mastering Retouching DVD series and I love it!!

I will admit that I have been a fan of Nick’s work for a long time and was very interested in his methods. I couldn’t afford it, but through luck, I was able to come up with some extra money and purchased the series…

Being self-taught in both photography and Photoshop, the series seemed like it was designed for me. It didn’t waste time teaching about Photoshop. One of the things I liked was that he didn’t go over every tool in Photoshop, just the ones that are used in the technique.

As for the technique, it is just that, a technique – a way to do something, a means to an end. It’s a lot simpler than other methods that I have tried. Call me an idiot, but I just couldn’t get the dodge/burn technique down.

At various places on the ‘net, I’ve seen people say that his technique makes people look too plastic or fake.With the Slickforce Technique, I could adjust it to my taste. I’ve used other methods and plug-ins and wasn’t really pleased with the results.

The series is in no way boring. You can hear that he really likes doing what he does. What was funny (to me) was that at one point, Nick says, “Ok, I’m gonna be quiet now and let you watch…” but then, like 30 seconds later, he’s talking again…

One other point…

The thing that really made me buy the series was because I saw the amount of “hate” on it on various forums. I saw people complaining about everything from the amount of skin showing to the names of the chapters – but not about the results.

Deuces,
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
I might as well contribute to bump the thread! lol

Aww, Natalia I love you for that! So that's how you turn everyone into your die-hard cheerleaders...it's all that sweetness—I need some of your mojo! :P Glad you're enjoying the banter!

Hey guys and gals, I'm happy to announce the DVD Box Sets began shipping yesterday, and the FREE bonus volume Exotic Features (featuring retouching fixes often requested by models of Asian, East Indian, and Middle Eastern descent) is included in both the DVD set and the download versions!

We just got back from PhotoshopWorld in Orlando where I had the pleasure of meeting so many of you! It was so great to talk with our friends, fans, and customers, and I wanted to show you guys a few behind-the-scenes pics!

The Mastering Retouching team and NAPP founder Scott Kelby

The Mastering Retouching models do press for PhotoshopWorld TV!

Guru Awards

The SlickforceStudio booth

My goofball super-team at dinner

Erica seduces customers with candy...it's a trap!

The complete DVD Box Set!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2010, 06:29 AM

Hello Nick,

there is also a discount for students?

Regards
Ronny
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2010, 08:34 AM

This is my review of this set. I have purchased other retouching tutorials as well as downloaded tons of tips and techniques from the internet. I have both tutorials from HighEnd Retouching, the first one sucked; the second one was very good!!!

If you're looking for an ass kissing glorified praise of this tutorial, this is not it. If you're looking for knock down drag out insult of this tutorial this is not it either.

Let's start with the bad:

1) Too pricey for what you get but if you ask any magician they will tell you that you don't pay for the trick, you pay for the secret. I guess a big reason why you pay so much is because of the packaging. The box DVD set almost too much and is a waste. You can copy the tutorials to your harddrive and run them from there and the boxes go away forever or at least until you need to reinstall the tutorials for whatever reason.

2) The demo window is too small. You're watching Nick retouch in a window that is about 5inches wide by 3inches tall. It's tough to see his retouching in detail.

3) A full retouch??? I doubt it! I never found it on the DVD. You WILL get hand held through most of the steps he uses to complete a retouch but I never found a "start to finish" image on the DVD's, at least not with the quality of what you've seen in magazines or even on the DVD shells. There is no way in hell you use the slickforce technique on only "parts" of the body. In the images I've seen in some of the magazines, especially SHOW, every part of the body has had something done, how do I know? I've shot some of the same girls or know them. The SHOW magazine would even get lazy OR short on content and publish a picture of a girl that wasn't retouched (for reasons beyond my knowledge) on the page right next to a flawless retouch so you could see what was done; not on purpose but by accident I guess. I have no idea what dude was thinking when he proof'd the mag before print. Again; in my opinion, there is no way you use the slickforce technique on only parts of the body and not others and I don't recall watching any of the tutorials that showed a full, top to bottom retouch. If I missed it, let me know.

4)His voice is no different than any of the others. I think people have a problem learning from others who have European accents. It's monotone and the same information is repeated over and over, he even once said, I'm beginning to sound like a broken record. I'm personally okay with that, I learn differently than most and as I'm watching, I'm taking notes so that later I can refer to "my" notes and then to the tutorial if It's not clear to me.

Now the good:

1)You've paid for the secret. It's pretty easy and the tool palette is reduced to a few common tools that any intermediate retoucher should already be familiar with. Nothing he did was new but, how he put it together is what makes it unique.

2) The actual on-screen tutorial layout is great, except for the retouch viewing window. It's very different than what I've seen in the other tutorials that I've purchased and while pleasing, there was useless information that I wish wasn't there, so the retouch window could be larger.

3) With practice you'll be able to get the technique and probably in no-time flat.

Overall Opinion:

Although we got the technique and covered a lot of basis. I still feel like some things were held out. The slickforce technique fixes troubled areas and keeps "shape" but not really texture, the question is; if you're only using the technique on "parts" of the body and not all, how do you explain the loss of detail in the areas of use. When you add "--------" back to the areas of use, those areas still don't match the areas of skin that the technique wasn't used on which leads me to believe that there is something being done to "all" areas of the skin.

The retouch window size should have been much bigger especially with displays having much higher resolution than in the past.

Nick mentions that he can do a retouch from start to finish in about 5 minutes. If that were the case; I think as a grand finale, he should have stopped talking and completed a start to finish retouch in 5 minutes. A retouch that he could send to a publisher for printing; that was never done in this tutorial. I've sat for over an hour watching D&B done, 5 minutes would have been a "cake hole" cake walk.

In my opinion, you're not getting the full picture. He often mentions that this technique won't stand up to scrutiny of a beauty retouch in terms of being used viewed at 100%, if that's the case, how do you explain the poster size prints at his booth?

( http://nicksaglimbeni.com/wp-content...booth-napp.jpg )

I doubt that you can use the slickforce technique on areas of the skin that has tattoos yet; images of THE GAME and others with Tat's match the quality and technique used on the models??

I wish I were still grounded in the glamour market because I would have requested to beta test this and would have raised this issue prior to release, maybe he would have listened to some of my concerns and addressed them, maybe not but; I assume many people will have the same concerns while others may not.

As with anything practice makes perfect.

Last edited by PhiladelphiaPro; 04-02-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2010, 11:34 PM

He said "FULL RETOUCH" not "FULL BODY". Don't spread misinformation, and don't pawn off like you didn't know what he was talking about either. Who with half a brain cell would read "Full body shot" into the common term "Full retouch".
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2010, 03:41 AM

Hey all, good to see it's still charming as ever in here. Happy Easter!

Since many of you have been asking for more details on the actual interface of the series, I've added a completely new section to the Mastering Retouching site, called "How it Works." Here I break down in great detail our custom interface, which many are claiming is largely responsible for the speed and efficiency with which they are learning and retaining information throughout the series.

http://www.masteringretouching.com/howitworks.php

I also wanted to take a moment to address PhiladelphiaPro's comments because, while I can certainly handle a tough review, several of the items are factually inaccurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaPro View Post
The demo window is too small. You're watching Nick retouch in a window that is about 5inches wide by 3inches tall. It's tough to see his retouching in detail...

The actual on-screen tutorial layout is great, except for the retouch viewing window. It's very different than what I've seen in the other tutorials that I've purchased and while pleasing, there was useless information that I wish wasn't there, so the retouch window could be larger...

The retouch window size should have been much bigger especially with displays having much higher resolution than in the past.
Not sure how you came to this conclusion. While the embedded window is a fixed size, all videos can be played full screen through the player. However, if you are specifically talking about playing a larger window side-by-side Photoshop while retouching, many customers have simply played the videos directly from the "videos" folder (i.e. they open in a QuickTime player) where you can make them literally any size you want. The actual resolution of the videos is 1152x720 which is considered hi-definition by even conservative standards (@720P).

I even cover the HD player functions in the Getting Started PDF (which now appears on all download and DVD versions, thanks to BDeshazer for suggesting this in his review of the series.) As far as the "useless information", I'm assuming you're referring to the notes and reference guide, which many have told me they found extremely useful in streamlining their workflow.

Quote:
A full retouch??? I doubt it! I never found it on the DVD. You WILL get hand held through most of the steps he uses to complete a retouch but I never found a "start to finish" image on the DVD's, at least not with the quality of what you've seen in magazines or even on the DVD shells. There is no way in hell you use the slickforce technique on only "parts" of the body. In the images I've seen in some of the magazines, especially SHOW, every part of the body has had something done, how do I know? I've shot some of the same girls or know them. The SHOW magazine would even get lazy OR short on content and publish a picture of a girl that wasn't retouched (for reasons beyond my knowledge) on the page right next to a flawless retouch so you could see what was done; not on purpose but by accident I guess. I have no idea what dude was thinking when he proof'd the mag before print. Again; in my opinion, there is no way you use the slickforce technique on only parts of the body and not others and I don't recall watching any of the tutorials that showed a full, top to bottom retouch. If I missed it, let me know.
Respectfully, I have to say that you are off the mark on this one. Since you mention SHOW magazine specifically, I find it ever more odd, since I have not only cast many of the same models from the magazine, but I even lit them exactly the same way as in the SHOW spreads, and I clearly do full, print-ready retouches on Levels 4, 5, and 7 (only the final CMYK conversion would be missing, nothing else). Level 5 alone should dispel any doubt you have, since I show the removal of stretchmarks, back fat, discolored hands & feet, body shaping, and other various skin anomalies. I even clean up the seamless exactly as I do in SHOW. Having shot and retouched every single page of SHOW since 2006, I literally have no idea what you think I could have left out.

Quote:
Nick mentions that he can do a retouch from start to finish in about 5 minutes. If that were the case; I think as a grand finale, he should have stopped talking and completed a start to finish retouch in 5 minutes. A retouch that he could send to a publisher for printing; that was never done in this tutorial.
Regarding the speed issue, I agree, and I plan to add a full-speed retouch to a future update. My greatest concern in the initial release, of course, was making sure the teaching was in tact, as everyone's speed (not just mine) will increase once they turn off the DVDs and focus on maximizing their efficiency through the age-old acts of repetition and practice.

Regarding the print-readiness of images, every image I retouch in Levels 3 thru 7 is publisher-ready upon completion (again, minus the final CMYK print conversion). I feel as if you think I'm trying to leave something out that really isn't there. In fact, several of the images have already (and will continue to) run in SHOW magazine, so I don't see how you could argue that they are not publisher-ready. What do you think I am leaving out?

Quote:
In my opinion, you're not getting the full picture. He often mentions that this technique won't stand up to scrutiny of a beauty retouch in terms of being used viewed at 100%, if that's the case, how do you explain the poster size prints at his booth?

I doubt that you can use the slickforce technique on areas of the skin that has tattoos yet; images of THE GAME and others with Tat's match the quality and technique used on the models??
I don't recall ever saying this technique won't stand up to the scrutiny of a beauty retouch at 100%. Please tell me where I say this, as you may be taking something else out of context. I do say that when you are zoomed in to an image at individual-pixel-visible closeness for the most accurate retouching, remember that your audience won't ever see the image zoomed in to 100% image size. Your screen at 100% is 72dpi while the average printer prints at 350dpi (or 175 line-screen)—that's 5x reverse-magnification. To say the audience will view an image that close is disingenuous, and frankly causes many photographers and retouchers to stress out over trivial issues and waste time fixing shades of pixels that will never be seen by the public. Every retoucher in this forum knows there is a quality loss when reproducing an image from screen to print, and offset printing is often the best case-scenario. Methods like web press, which is still common in magazine printing, feature an ever greater quality loss.

As far as my booth images go, again, I don't know what you're talking about. Every single image on that poster, The Game, Kim Kardashian, T.I. Skid Row Princess, etc. was retouched using the same techniques I teach in the series, including the Slickforce technique. Obviously when dealing with ink and tattoos I have to selectively mask areas like anyone would, but there are no ink-specific lessons in the series—perhaps in a future release. In either case, you frequently say that I can't possibly ignore certain areas while retouching others, but what on earth would I need to retouch on a male rapper's arm underneath his tattoo? Personally I think retouching this area would be overkill and completely unnecessary.

http://nicksaglimbeni.com/wp-content...booth-napp.jpg

If I was confusing or misleading anywhere in the series, I apologize, but I don't believe this to be the case. I have been very transparent with every question asked of me here at RP, and I continue to shake it off when personal attacks are launched at me, or the integrity of my business is questioned. The only thing I've chosen not to discuss or reveal is the actual Slickforce Technique itself, because of its uniqueness in the retouching arena. My customers deserve at least that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium
He said "FULL RETOUCH" not "FULL BODY". Don't spread misinformation, and don't pawn off like you didn't know what he was talking about either. Who with half a brain cell would read "Full body shot" into the common term "Full retouch".
And Caesium, don't be such a dick. Matt was only trying to help by providing information that PhiladelphiaPro claimed was missing, from the unique perspective of a beta-tester that does not work for my company. Your comments only make you look like an asshole.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2010, 09:11 AM

I'm going to debate this issue back and forth but if you're telling me that you would only retouch parts of the body while saying other sh*t looks perfect you're a liar. I understand that you have to stand behind your product and by all means do so.

You NEVER, except for the so called beauty retouch performed a full retouch, at least not with the consistency that has been published in magazines, that's a bold face lie. People may be to busy jock riding to understand what's missing. I LIKE YOUR WORK, you tutorials fell short, they're the glass half full.

I'm not here to bash your sh*t, you do good work but what you offered in this series is not consistent with the work that we've seen published, no way, no how. I grew up shooting glamour and there's no way you would send for print the images that you retouched in your tutorial.

When have you ever sent an image with a stomach that looked like this to print?

http://thepaperfile.com/slickforce/slickforce01.jpg

If you were submitting images like that, you would be laughed off and categorized as a "poor retoucher". In my opinion you performed half retouches the whole tutorial.

I wasn't going to go back through the entire series to pull screen shots and quotes to support my argument because it's not that serious but the attached link is proof that a full retouch wasn't complete and in Section 2-3 at the 22 minute mark, and I quote " I can actually retouch a shot in 4 minutes flat".

If you make that statement anywhere in your lesson, you should back it up. What you should have done was this; as soon as the video started; took the first 4 minutes to take an image from raw to retouched and then said, this is how you do it!

You and your camp spend a lot of time trying to clean up negative reviews about this tutorial and that's fine, by all means protect your product. I'm here to say that what you've presented as far as "completed" retouches in these lessons is not what is seen in your printed or displayed work.

In that screen shot that I posted, you were DONE with her stomach and moved onto her legs. I admit being incorrect in not paying attention the window controls, I was so ready to eat the steak that I didn't see the knife and fork sitting next to the plate I just picked up and started eating.

I'm pretty sure that somewhere on this site I recall reading YOU saying that the slickforce technique does not compare to say, something that Natalia does PLUS even in your videos you say, when adding --------- to make it look more like true skin with pores and texture, you don't have to worry because with an image so small, people won't be able to tell the difference. Well WTF!!!! What if we're not retouching images to be small and we're retouching images to be poster size, where the f*ck is that tutorial? You put out 7 DVD's that work on bits and pieces bro, so stop acting like you covered everything because you didn't.

I'm done here.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching