RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:37 AM

Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Edit: If anyone is so blind to not see these guys for what they are by now, they deserve to get taken.

Last edited by Caesium; 04-04-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaPro View Post
...If you're telling me that you would only retouch parts of the body while saying other sh*t looks perfect you're a liar...

..You NEVER, except for the so called beauty retouch performed a full retouch, at least not with the consistency that has been published in magazines, that's a bold face lie...
Umm...well, again that's not true, as I almost always leave parts of the original alone if I feel they don't need work. Why would you retouch things that don't need fixing? As far as the one "beauty retouch" that I do (I assume you mean the extreme close-up face shot) why do I need more than one? Anyone who watches the series can clearly see I use the same techniques on the full-body shots that I do on the extreme close-ups, just with varying intensities and layer opacities. But you don't seem to believe me, so I'll move on.

Quote:
People may be to busy jock riding to understand what's missing...
LOL please let me know where all these people are because I sure haven't found them in here.

Quote:
That's from Level 2. I don't claim to do a print-ready retouch in Level 2, as stated in my previous post. This level is still teaching technique. I even state in this lesson that I'm going a little heavier than I normally would but I want [the student] to get the techniques down and they will be refined in the subsequent levels.

Quote:
You and your camp spend a lot of time trying to clean up negative reviews about this tutorial and that's fine...
Not true. Nearly all of the "negative reviews" that you claim I am cleaning up are from people who have not actually bought or seen the product, and are simply trashing my marketing approach. And it should be noted that 100% of those come specifically from this thread at RetouchPro, not from any other sites that have discussed the Mastering Retouching series, including NAPP and Canon. In fact, I've actually contacted several of those who provided thoughtful and thorough reviews (including some here) to be beta-testers on my upcoming series. What would I gain from only hiring testers that tell me what I want to hear?

In the interest of full-transparency, we currently have a 98% customer satisfaction rate (I would have been thrilled with 70%!), which is the only reason I can maintain my sanity in here. Most customers also note the fact that we have member support even long after you've bought the series, where we will literally help you perfect your techniques at the Slickforce forum, even if you don't understand a concept or hit a retouching road block.

Quote:
WTF!!!! What if we're not retouching images to be small and we're retouching images to be poster size, where the f*ck is that tutorial?
Not sure why you're so angry, since you're calling me the liar. I simply clarified several items which I believed were inaccurately represented in your comments.

As far as your question, I don't feel that poster-size output requires dramatically different retouching techniques than say, magazine print size. Both are going to print, and most posters are not viewed from 6 inches away—they're printed large to be viewed at a distance. You would simply proceed with more caution and be more particular about strokes around eye-lashes and things of that nature—nothing in my actual workflow would change. And again, since I've personally retouched every image you're saying I'm lying about, I'm sort of at a loss here. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I wish you the best of luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2010, 01:00 PM

Happy Easter everyone! Thanks making for a vigorous debate of issues. I just received my Mastering Retouching set and just the vivid colors and polish of the set. Wow...perfect for Easter! Now if I could just find a place to hide these DVDs around the yard with the eggs...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2010, 01:37 PM

Woohoo! We're beta-testing Mastering Retouching on the iPad and so far it plays beautifully! Customers can expect an email with instructions on how to play the videos on your iPhone/iPad in the next few weeks!

Now you can literally learn to retouch ANYWHERE!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MR-iPadsm.jpg (97.1 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2010, 02:10 PM

I haven't gotten to see the series yet, so can someone please clarify something for me? I keep hearing that Nick invented the SlickForce technique, but I've also heard, and posted, that the technique is very similar to the Glitterguru technique that's been in print since 2003:

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/art...01733&seqNum=3

Quote:
Next, make a layer (Ctrl+Shift+N) and call it retouching. This layer is where you'll do the work of smoothing the skin and making it flawless. Up until now, you've been using the Healing Brush. For the next step, however, switch to the Clone Stamp tool. The Healing Brush is great for creating repairs without disturbing texture and tone. At this stage, however, you want to disturb the texture and tone. That is why you will be using the Clone Stamp to smooth and even out the skin. After you've selected the Clone Stamp tool, go to the Options settings and select an Opacity setting of between 20% and 30%. Also, make sure the Use All Layers option is checked. The basic approach is to use the Clone Stamp like an airbrush. For open areas such as the forehead, use a large brush size of about 100 pixels, going down to a smaller 60-pixel brush for more detailed work.

Working in the Green channel window, clone onto areas that need smoothing from adjacent areas of similar surface texture and color tone. This requires a bit of practice until you get the "feel" of it, but it basically comes down to blending the tones and smoothing the texture—all the textures and tones need to match and smoothly blend together. Remember, you are creating a layer that will be superimposed over the original, so don't be afraid of being too heavy handed. You will need to push some pixels around (be nice) to get the desired results. This will become second nature at some point, but for now just think "smooth, blended, and polished." When you're done, you'll have a layer of perfect smoothness that you can then blend back with your original layer to get the desired effect.
So is Nick's technique unique, or is it a derivation of the longstanding clone-smearing technique?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2010, 05:29 PM

Flash, it's very similar; save your money or find a torrent. The technique is not unique, the tutorial is incomplete. The pretty box it comes in looks great, what's inside is fluff and as dude mentioned; in so many words, he left shit out so he could sell a series 2.

None of the chicks retouched in these tutorials were Perfected nor would they Amaze Anyone. This isn't car wax, you don't apply the technique to only parts of the body then say, see that's perfect. It's not perfect. Retouching for size does matter, because at poster size, flaws get magnified regardless if you're 6 inches away or 6 feet away. In my opinion you performed, 750x500px viewing size retouches in this tutorial. From Level 2 through Level 6 the retouching technique didn't change, you simply added other retouching tools.

You fluffed the hell outta this series, I've never seen in any retouching tutorial have the need to have at least 7 different models to emphasize that a technique works. In my opinion you take 2 models, since you're expressing the need to differentiate between light and dark skin and you perform head to toe retouches on them. Not an eye bag here, a stretch mark on another, an armpit on another, a nose and freckles on another, waterbeads on another. You wasted my time, keep the money, give me my 5 wasted hrs back.

My girlfriend is a glamour and beauty model and when she watched part of the tutorial, her mouth fell open and she said, WTF was that! Then she reminded me of the sometimes spotty shots we'd look at in SHOW Mag but I haven't picked up the magazine in a couple of years, so I don't know if the quality of the mag has gotten better or worse. Maybe some of the stuff in the mag that I thought wasn't retouched actually was retouched; in 4 minutes flat.

I can honestly say with embarrassment that I was drawn in by the pretty colors and the flawless images on the website. I figured I'd add to my skillset but it's highly unlikely that I will. This wasn't an impulse buy and I'm not asking for a refund. I'm just saying; this is a series that will serve amateur and new retouchers very well. If you're an advanced retoucher, my advise is, you don't need this.

I was hoping that this tutorial would help me take my retouching to the next level but I'm not sure it will. I stopped focusing on glamour a long time ago but here are a few examples of my work, minus the slickforce technique.

I pulled these shots from my site so they're small but had I performed what was shown in this tutorial on these shots, I would be ashamed to post them.

I thought I was buying a pair of Jordans, the box had the silhouette on it but when I got home and opened the package, there was a pair of 6 striped Adidas knockoff Payless sneakers in the box.

P.S I'm not mad, I'm just speaking like an artist would.

http://www.thepaperfile.com/slickforce/slickforce02.jpg
http://www.thepaperfile.com/slickforce/slickforce03.jpg
http://www.thepaperfile.com/slickforce/slickforce04.jpg
http://www.thepaperfile.com/slickforce/slickforce05.jpg

Last edited by PhiladelphiaPro; 04-04-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Flash, it's very similar; save your money or find a torrent.
Have you seen mine? I'd love a review from you

/end hijack
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2010, 05:51 PM

Natalia, I can't stop watching yours, I bought your DVD in December of 2009 and was anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I was upset when the dates kept getting pushed back but the first night it was delivered I didn't sleep. I watched it from start to finish.

If you give me a couple of days I can write up a review about yours. I can tell you this much, I was VERY HAPPY! I felt like you didn't hide anything and you were right when you said; you don't mind showing people how to do this because many people won't take the time to do just because it takes so long.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post

Quote:
Save your money or find a torrent.
Have you seen mine? I'd love a review from you

/end hijack
Whoa. Hold up. Did someone just suggest software piracy as a solution?

Isn't that kinda like when Ralph Lauren charges too much for their clothes, just wait until someone steals it out of the store, then get it for free in a back alley? Classy.

Are we advocating software piracy now? Aren't we better than that here at Retouch Pro?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2010, 08:54 PM

Nick...as CEO you should'nt be calling you customers Dicks and Assholes...even if you don't like what they say.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching