RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:05 PM

Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaPro View Post
Flash, it's very similar...The technique is not unique...
Thanks Philly.

I'm hoping Nick or Matt will clarify. In general they seem pretty diligent about clearing up misconceptions about the product, so when I posted that link several weeks ago, and they did not refute the assertion of similarity, I took it as tacit agreement from them that the Slickforce technique was unarguably similar to the long in-print cloning technique. However, just two days ago Matt reiterated that Nick invented the technique and Nick's DVD marks the first time it was shared with the public, so I don't know what to think anymore.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2010, 09:13 AM

I'm gonna swallow a little bit of my pride when I say; Nick is a much better photographer than he is a retoucher. I was pulled in by what I consider to be very good lighting and the pretty and curvy girls. I was talking to my girlfriend again last night and I think because she's also my best friend, she was able to pull me out of the trance that I was in when I looked at his pictures. Upon closer view of the images on display at his site, I began to notice all the inconsistencies in the retouching that had been put front and center in the tutorials. We looked at the images on two different computers and she began to point out things that she would look for in her images then asked me if I would consider an image with such inconsistencies; complete or finished if I was delivering it to a client.

There are indeed areas of images that go from smooth to bumpy or w/texture for no apparent reason. [I'll use COCO as an example. In one picture her face, boobs and the top of her shoulder are incredibly smooth with the area in-between her breasts having tons of texture; in another picture her belly and legs are very smooth while her boobs and neck are full of texture leading to a ultra smooth face]. These are the things I didn't see prior to having the tutorials. The bad technique and execution was always there, they were just dressed up really well.

In my opinion, if you put these techniques to practice without all the other window dressings, you will probably be doing yourself a dis-service. Personally, I was drawn into many of the models eyes, then to the great colors of the wardrobe they were wearing, then the sets. These girls are sexy, the sets are sexy, the wardrobe is sexy, the photography is sexy. You can remove only 1 of these factors and still maintain the sexy factor and that's the set because even on plain backdrop paper, having the other things in place will still make for a sexy image or what I now call; make for distraction.

After being disappointed about the purchase, then having someone say, look at this, look at that, what's this, then going back and viewing it all again from a retouching standpoint, I was floored.

Flash let me ask this, if the Slickforce Technique is the technique shown in that link to the GlitterGuru chapter and didn't deviate from it one bit except for the something like, let's say; opacity strength [ Mind you, I checked that link before I got the DVD but thought that maybe it was something way different ] what would that do to his credibility when it comes to him saying he invented it?? We could be all be mistaken and maybe she got the technique from him but didn't credit him?

This debate is draining, so I'll stop with my assessment of Nicks tutorials. I have no more to say other than; buyer beware!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2010, 01:33 PM

I am new to this debate and have not bought any product and have no affiliation with anyone on this site. I did come to this site to get honest feedback and ideas on which stuff to get. I did read all the banter back and forth concerning this tutorial. I only have two things to say...

One... PhiladelphiaPro... why didn't you state this info in the beginning of this debate? Now it just sounds like he made you look bad and this is sour grapes. We joined this forum to get honest feedback not to hear people save face.

Two... while I have not yet decided on which tutorial to get (thanks to this banter) I did think Nick conducted himself in a professional manner and showed great restraint with all of the comments attacking his character and expertise. I'm not sure if I could have stayed that calm. Nice job!

Hopefully we can get back to providing honest feedback without any ulterior motives.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2010, 05:47 PM

CSD - I could have easily NOT said anything, my honest feedback is all the same. As soon as I found the time to bring the realization of what it was that I was seeing, back to this forum, I wrote it. I don't need to save face, my feelings have not changed. If I were trying to sell a tutorial I could see an ulterior motive in not giving this crap a positive nod. I'm not selling anything, I'm trying to help people here not make a mistake. I still feel that there is not a complete retouch on the DVD, this technique cannot be used to create poster size realistic images, nothing on the DVD is; "wow that looks great" material. This dude say's "WOW that looks great" so many times, it feels like he's trying to brainwash you into believing that this sh*t actually does looks good.

I posted a screen shot from the tutorial, 99% of the examples of the retouches he did were like that. When I completed the series I looked at the site and said to myself there is no f n way this is the same technique! I felt it, I wrote it and I wrestled with the fact that I was totally let down. I STILL DO NOT BELIEVE that what he presents to clients is what he showed in the DVD. You, him, his pub relations camp, or those beta-testers cannot change my opinion.

YOU WILL NOT FIND THE LEVEL OF SLOPPINESS that is demo'd on his DVD on his website nor will you find that level of sloppy / half completed retouch in any poster that was at the booth. There is no way. There is no way you can have a chick with a smooth belly and bumpy breast and neck then back to a smooth face blown up to a poster and have people think it looks great! Notice, none of the images that were posters at the booth were shown in the tutorial? Why not??

The whole of this series fits comfortably on 1 Single Layer DVD, no need for 7.. Smoke and mirrors bro. Buy it, then private message me about your disappointment or better yet, have the balls to say that it was money well spent.

The tutorial sucks. The technique sucks, it's overpriced, it's the old clone stuff wrapped up in a new package. You need to be more concerned that someone who didn't get it for free is actually giving an honost review of this bullsh*t.

I'm not even sure the beta-testers are real at this point. Let me repeat, I'M NOT EVEN SURE THE BETA-TESTERS WERE REAL! Funny thing is, I'm friends on FB with someone who I talk to almost every day, and when I publicly ridiculed the quality of work found on the DVD, he had nothing to say about it, mind you, he was supposed to be a beta tester and is supposed to cool with Nick on a personal level. This person is someone who hits me up every day, someone who wanted to be a member of my co-op studio, someone who wouldn't let me look over his shoulder when he was beta-testing. Now I can sort of understand why; the whole thing is a smokescreen.

Buy it, review it then come back and let's see if you're still defending it. When honesty is not what you want to hear, people tend to label it something else.

You should be honored that I was able to realize what was drawing me in, what had me fooled and why it had me fooled, then had the balls to let YOU know. You should be thanking me and the next time you're talking to a potential client, you call them a dick and see how far it gets you.

I almost didn't purchase, the second tutorial from the company that GodMother deals with because the first edition was grossly misrepresented so in the interest of bettering my retouching skills I've spent at least $700 on DVD tutorials, how much have you spent? As a matter of fact, buy them both; that's what I did.

Last edited by PhiladelphiaPro; 04-05-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2010, 05:55 PM

Haha... the topic went quite off board XD
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaPro View Post
You should be thanking me and the next time you're talking to a potential client, you call them a dick and see how far it gets you.
Thanks for proving my point!

I may just have to buy both. I haven't spent any money on retouching and it shows painfully in my images. Hopefully I can take what they both have and refine it into my own style. Only time will tell.

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2010, 07:21 PM

Like Nick, I must have a drink every time I read this thead, but like Nick I keep coming back.
I haven't bought the DVD set and really don't plan to....OVERPRICED...$350...read my earlier posts...still waiting for someone to show me just one other DVD series at this price...especially one that is highly recommended.
I agree with PhiladephiaPro...the first DVD from the company Godmother dealt with wasn't worth the money being asked. It came down to $99...may have been a decent cost at this price, but then jumped back up after Godmother's got some good press. I still feel GM DVD is overpriced as well...sorry my opinion. I see nothing good out there over $150...I guess I just miss out and will never know those special secrets.
Nick is a hell of a marketer and promoter...I wish I had his gift.

Last edited by skydog; 04-06-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2010, 11:39 PM

lol is what comes to mind each time I read more opinions in this thread. There are some points I agree with PhiladelphiaPro's opinion and some that I don't, I do read though that his first post was very honest and not in a way to "smack talk" he was just giving out his opinion on what he thought on the DVD.

I still stand by my opinion on the marketing language used on the website to lure newbies, even though Nick says it's not important since its an opinion from someone who hasn't bought the DVD.

I think that by now a newbie can judge very well on wether to buy this dvd or not.

From what I have read here, I come to the conclusion that if you're a newbie in photoshop and you're interested in the glamour retouch it may be worth while to buy the dvd if you got money to spare. On the other hand if you're informed in photoshop with the degrunge technique (and its new iteration of using apply image instead of highpass) and D&B and now the other technique described earlier I think it won't add anything to your arsenal.

Still if you've got money to spare just buy it and if you care, give another opinion on what you think of the DVD
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2010, 02:18 AM

Dare I ask...but where can I find a link to Natalia's DVD please that people keep mentioning. I'm just beginning to get into photographing people and I'd like to learn some retouching techniques. I'm just browsing around for possible learning resources.

Thanks

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2010, 05:46 AM

@DaveTyrer: Natalia's DVD can be bought here: http://www.digitalphotoshopretouchin...utorials-dvd-2
But she has her own thread about it :-): http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...330-omg-9.html

Btw. I guess by now Nick has stated what he wanted to say and everyone else has stated their opinion as well, so no need for further arguing, is it?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching