RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:08 AM

Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

both good between natalia and nick and also have diffferent target, but i just want to know why natalia dont make downloadable version like nick do?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelez View Post
both good between natalia and nick and also have diffferent target, but i just want to know why natalia dont make downloadable version like nick do?
11+ hs of HQ video + 1GB working layered files + Raw images to practice on :/

Turned out not to be so easy to handle in the end (too big, sometimes size does matter)

I was bummed about this issue too.

x

PS: yes... I did as if that was a real question and gave the real answer n.n
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2010, 03:58 PM

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know that we've completed testing and found that the Mastering Retouching videos are fully compatible with iPad, iPhone, and iPod!

All videos will play in their native HD resolution, so now you can learn on the go! Instructions for syncing the series to your portable device are available for free to all customers.

Thanks to all for your patience and support as we move into a new era of learning!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2010, 07:05 PM

wawww....thanks for the info
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda_Lauren View Post
I have been reading these post for a couple days now. I can see both sides of why people would be skeptics and why its worth investing the money in the series. I believe its a long term investment in a career opportunity. There are no colleges to learn these techniques.

I went to The School Of Visual Arts, and didn't learn very much about PS or retouching. I have been venturing out on my own to teaching myself for years now and have been learning from anyone who is willing to teach about PS/retouching. Its been quite a frustrating process, and, I think the concept of people sharing their retouching skills, in general, is fantastic!! I teach people at the company I work at all the time, I wish there was someone to teach me when I was younger. I myself would one day like to sell tutorials and books, etc. Even go back to SVA and propose a better curriculum for the school on PS. I want to be extremely successful one day, and I think learning as much about PS/ retouching as possible can help me or anyone achieve their goals.

So yes, it is pricey, but I think if you are someone who wants to make this your career and you are obsessed with retouching as I am, it might be worth a shot. Plus, the DVDs are way cheaper than even a semester at SVA. haha.

I think the idea is too, is to learn as many techniques as possible and then make them your own, combining and intertwining the different concepts.

So, Good Luck Nick.

(The success of people like you and Natalia is where I would like to be at one day, so thanks for paving the way for the rest of us.)
So I am daring to write my own review, as I have purchased the Slick force DVDs and have viewed them completely. Also, I have an opinion about almost everything and in this instance feel the need to air it considering the controversy about these DVDs.

The DVDs were worth purchasing I would say, just out of pure curiosity to understand another artists work flow. If I was still working at Quad (pre-press house) this technique would have come in good use. Quad had quick turn arounds, and in some instances this technique would have helped. I did learn new things here and there, that I was like “hmm didn’t know that” and for me every little bit helps. I do believe these tutorials are for beginners-intermediate. Even though, you do have to know the very basics masking, heal brush, layers, layer modes, etc. I think some of what he taught is common knowledge as an artist/retoucher in this industry, but was a nice confirmation that I am on the right track on how to think things out. He was very easy to listen to, spoke clearly and naturally, and even joked here and there which made it feel more like a live class, which was refreshing.

Its not a magic formula its simply just another way of doing things. And it obviously works for him…kudos…The price is steep yes (too much? I think it could come down in price alil), but like I have said in the past if this what you want to do for a living, you’ll learn as much as viably possible. There is no college degree for this, its what you make of it. And this was still cheaper than the amount of loans I owe from SVA. Knowledge is never a waste. So no regrets here. Happy customer.

Salut,
Amanda
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2010, 10:57 PM

Greetings all (it's been awhile),

Amanda - couldn't agree more with you and your post! ...Plus I'm jealous as hell that you went to SVA! ;-)

Now, Having read over this thread, I was surprised at some of the emotion expressed so negatively - perhaps opinions are being hammered a bit too hard? Anyway, my forte is graphics design and some photography (learning and having a blast!) - but do see the value for beginners in Nick's package, although Natalia's really looks to be where my cash is going. Her demo is generous and impressive! I've got the basic stuff down thanks to early titles from Katrin Eismann and Martin Evening - but now looking for more as I'm growing into the photography and subsequent retouching world.

Another thought, as a NAPP member, for about $150.00 / year one can access a fairly impressive and diverse collection of lighting and retouching videos that are great for beginners to intermediate users.

I've never spent more than $50.00 on a retouch title, granted they're older and a bit dated. I did spend $250.00 on Zack Arias' "One Light" dvd which, imo, Rocks! But obviously not a title on retouching.

My next title will absolutely be that of Ms. Taffarel - looks awesome!

Take care all,

Doug
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2010, 06:47 AM

Doug...I've heard One light by Zack Arias was good...would you provide a quick review...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2010, 05:17 PM

One Light is great. I have this DVD and its one of the best DVDs about lowbudget lighting. Really entertaining, understandable and well arranged. Its about how to light portraits with only one light, but it contain useful informations even for those who are using more lights. I really learned a lot from this DVD (especially about how to control ambient light vs. strobe light - look at on this photo for the results: http://www.flickr.com/photos/usedfilm/2429371153/).
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2010, 05:31 PM

BTW, are the some news about Chris Tarantino DVD and book?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2010, 07:40 PM

Doug...I've watch the lighting tutorials on Kelby...would I pick up more info worth the $250 investment from one-light? $250 has to be very special.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching