RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 PM

Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Hey Skydog...

Zack's dvd really is great... Dave Cross from NAPP did a good video review on One Light. But really, There's far more in regards to retouching and overall shooting and lighting setups at Kelby Training. The Kelby Training site has an array of shooters from Joe McNally (worth the price right there!), Moose Peterson, Rick Sammon, Scott Kelby, David Ziser, etc. Then of course there's a series of great classes on retouching (perhaps not to advanced levels, but brushing into intermediate - still, very helpful!)

For the non NAPP member fee of $199.00 / year - you get top notch all around classes and topics - Zack is great, but it's an easy choice; Kelby Training!

When I get a few more minutes, I'll be happy to provide a review of One Light. (I will say, for those looking to get from the beginning of, say, "Ok, I got a great dSLR - how do I use off camera flash, well, and make pro quality shots?" One Light is the Best I've seen.

Doug

http://www.kelbytraining.com/online/index.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d64 View Post
Greetings all (it's been awhile),

Amanda - couldn't agree more with you and your post! ...Plus I'm jealous as hell that you went to SVA! ;-)
Doug:
Thanks!! I'm glad someone does. Too much negativity out there. Anyway...
Why are you jealous?? Jealous of all the student loans that I owe? lol. Your very sweet. Don't be jealous, envious maybe (jk), but not jealous. I am thankful for the opportunities that SVA has allowed me to pursue, but the bill attached is kind of ridiculous. But on a lighter note it does push me to bust my tochis just a little more than usual. ha. The loans aren't going to pay themselves ya know?
Where did/do you go to school?

Salut,
Amanda Lauren
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2010, 09:33 PM

Hi Amanda!

Yup - I'm with you, like a more positive / friendly approach to life and all of the little things we do throughout... ;-)

Ok, you're right - not jealous of the student loans, but... Sigh... Still would love the opportunity to attend SVA! Ok, I'll agree, Envious (but really, kudos to you!). Among other venues, I went to school at a small SUNY community college, Dutchess up in Poughkepsie, NY. Then various courses / classes in CT/MA. ...And a small peppering of workshops and hours upon hours of self teaching, online tutorials and DVDs and a shelf full of books (Including an SVA instructor, Katrin Eismann - she's awesome!).

Checked your site, Verrrry Nice! How's the retouching and digital art market in this economy?

:-)

Doug
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2010, 11:00 AM

So I got my hands on these dvd's yesterday. And I have to say they are great.
Anything earth shattering? Not really. Did I learn something new? Absolutely!

I think as artists we get so caught up in what works for us, we forget that what it really comes down to is everything is a tool. There isnt a single tool in the world that is right for every single job.

I'm the kind of person who wants every trick in my bag that I can possibly have. I think this Set of videos fills in the gaps that others have left, and gave me a few new tricks to put into my arsenal. I was always taught in life that "there is no right, There is no wrong, but everything matters... Times change, Fashion changes. So whats not right for you now may be right for you a few years down the road.

So my whole point im rambling about is don't be so fast to discredit someone. Nick you did a great job with the DVD's. If you guys have the opportunity to check them out, its time well spent.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2010, 04:30 PM

Hey guys and gals,

For those of you looking for a deal on the Mastering Retouching series, PhotoshopWorld founder Scott Kelby is offering a discount through his blog. Limited time only!

Here's the link: Scott Kelby's Blog
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d64 View Post
Hi Amanda!

Yup - I'm with you, like a more positive / friendly approach to life and all of the little things we do throughout... ;-)

Ok, you're right - not jealous of the student loans, but... Sigh... Still would love the opportunity to attend SVA! Ok, I'll agree, Envious (but really, kudos to you!). Among other venues, I went to school at a small SUNY community college, Dutchess up in Poughkepsie, NY. Then various courses / classes in CT/MA. ...And a small peppering of workshops and hours upon hours of self teaching, online tutorials and DVDs and a shelf full of books (Including an SVA instructor, Katrin Eismann - she's awesome!).

Checked your site, Verrrry Nice! How's the retouching and digital art market in this economy?

:-)

Doug
Hi Doug,

Sorry it took so long to write back my life has been kind of upside down lately. ( In a good way.)
Aw. Lol. Thank you. Well continuing education classes are a great way to take classes at SVA without spending 6 figures. I took a class with Carrie Beene about a month ago and it was amazing. I highly recommend it. It was the Business of Beauty retouching.

http://www.schoolofvisualarts.edu/ce...eene&sKeyword=

There is another one in july. Yes, Katrin is amazing as well. She is the Chairman of the Masters of Digital Photography department. In all honesty I have done relatively the same as you, as far as learning retouching goes if it makes you feel any better. I learned most of skills on my own. Books, tutorials, picking peoples brains. SVA only in recent years has upped the ante so to speak. Agreed though still a great school. Although just bc you didn’t attend SVA doesn’t mean you can’t make it anyway. Its all about drive baby! ☺
Thanks for the site compliment, I appreciate it. Its always a work in progress as I continue to learn more about developing a website. ☺
As far as the market goes, its good if your good and you know your resources/network. Its mostly freelancing available at the moment. I went for an interview at a studio in nyc last week and they liked what I did, but aren’t hiring full time at the moment. I am not upset about it, mostly because I live home. I have no pressure for rent and such. Otherwise I would be probably freaking out. Why do you ask? Are you looking for work at the moment?

Salute,
Amanda
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2010, 05:59 AM

What's so great about these DVDs? 7! What for? I saw them yesterday at a friend's and I was shocked and quite happy I didn't buy them as I was seriously considering them. Philadelphia Pro was right; most of the times, it's not the finished images we see on his site.
Each DVD is not even an hour; the first is barely 40 minutes, the second as well, and so I'm with the opinion that these 7 DVDs could have been easily fitted on one. The first DVD is Photoshop 001; it's ridiculous.
Paying 350$ to listen repetitively to "click and drag" "click and drag"!
Then the Chapter titled "The Stuff No One Else Will Teach You" is simply pure marketing: removing a partially showing earring from hair! Big deal, and the finished result doesn't look really convincing. Cloning drops of water to maintain texture... I mean come on!
To be fair, these DVDs could be good for an early beginner, and they might do well for people who are looking for quick fixes; but it's the marketing and the 7 pictures of the models, that confuse people. In my opinion, the tutorials are starting with good photographs, good lighting, and most of the times, flawless models; surely when you have such a combination, you don't need much retouching to begin with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2010, 07:51 AM

Nino's review of this product sounds awfully familiar. .
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaPro View Post
Nino's review of this product sounds awfully familiar. .
Well at least is a "one post only" not praising the set. That's a new one
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2010, 10:53 AM

I have seen the series. I was less impressed than I expected, which is conflicting because Nick obviously has great success with his technique, and I'm a fan of his work.

For beginning level I'd recommend Chris Orwig's stuff on Lynda.com.

For advanced (hi-end) I'd go with Natalia's, no question. Nothing else like it on the market.

Nick's is not an intermediate level between. It's more of a beginner series that I think is better replaced by Orwig.

I also think Guy Gowan's retouch DVD is worth a look, but not as a starting or ending point.

And I'd also steer clear of Lee Varis' stuff.

Last edited by Flashtones; 06-28-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching