RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:57 PM

Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalleexx5 View Post
Volume 1 was definitely not worth my money. =(

I haven't seen it. But let me just remind me that Vitaly made the first video. I did the second one. Natalia Taffarel (me) is not the same person behind the computer.

Also 2 hs. vs 11 and a half hour can't really be compared.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2010, 03:07 PM

I have to agree with Flashtones I think he's hit the nail on the head. Natalia had nothing to do with 1st dvd in the Mastering Retouch series but I think without a doubt Vol 2 by Natalia is a fantastic self learning aid.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 07:35 PM

I bought the series two dvd from Natalia and so far it is amazing, definatly good sound advice and techniques, IMO though the best part is that you are watching her work, and seeing what she sees and what her retouching philosophy is and her strategy. Technique is only half the battle, knowing when to use what techniques is what makes the difference.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2010, 03:49 AM

I saw Nick's at a mate's and even if I really think that it's overpriced, I still think that there is something to grab from it. Particularly paying attention on the anatomy, and thinking in 3 dimensions regardless of the "click-drag up" thing which is a bit overused (I think it may works for some problems, and definitely work less for others) the way he insists on following the shapes of the body with it's HL and shadows is pretty useful and well, I mean that guy masters the Wacom as well (can be quite precise with very large brush size) I think if you concentrate less on the method that is repeated over and over again and just watch him as he draws the strokes is efficient by itself. What is strange to see is that very "complex" techniques appear from time to time based on mathematics and he's making retouching with basically one tool: stamp. Looks like Photoshop 6.0 tutorials (I'm not saying it's wrong, just stating). There is a niche indeed, for that kind of work, not mine for the moment (unless a customers really wants to the customer's always right) but there's definitely something to learn.

PS: I cannot compare with other people DVD as I cannot afford them neither (anyway, I REALLY prefer reading books)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2010, 03:47 AM

Hey guys, I wanted to let you know that PhotoshopUser magazine reviewed Mastering Retouching in the December 2010 issue and gave it 4.5 out of 5 stars. Here is the verbatim transcript (including the criticism) from Matt Kloskowski's review for those of you who don't have the mag:

"Right off the bat, Nick states, 'This series is called Mastering Retouching. Not Photoshop for software engineers.' And that's just how Nick teaches. He speaks to you in plain English. The techniques are easy to follow and you get to watch Nick retouch everything from start to finish. He starts off with the basics but jumps headfirst into full retouching projects about halfway through the series. And, because of the way everything is organized, you can move past the stuff you don't want., to get to the stuff that interests you. There are images to follow along with and a dedicated forum for questions and feedback. Now, the series is a bit pricey, but it's on par with other high-end beauty retouching series that I've looked at. If you're really into high-end fashion and beauty retouching then I definitely recommend Mastering Retouching as the series you go with."

NOTE: At the time of the review the price was $299. We've since dropped the price to $249.

Thanks again to all of you for your valuable feedback, especially those of you who have actually viewed the series.

Wishing you the HAPPIEST OF WHATEVER HOLIDAYS you celebrate, and a PROSPEROUS 2011!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Saglimbeni View Post
Hey guys, I wanted to let you know that PhotoshopUser magazine reviewed Mastering Retouching in the December 2010 issue and gave it 4.5 out of 5 stars. Here is the verbatim transcript (including the criticism) from Matt Kloskowski's review for those of you who don't have the mag:

"Right off the bat, Nick states, 'This series is called Mastering Retouching. Not Photoshop for software engineers.' And that's just how Nick teaches. He speaks to you in plain English. The techniques are easy to follow and you get to watch Nick retouch everything from start to finish. He starts off with the basics but jumps headfirst into full retouching projects about halfway through the series. And, because of the way everything is organized, you can move past the stuff you don't want., to get to the stuff that interests you. There are images to follow along with and a dedicated forum for questions and feedback. Now, the series is a bit pricey, but it's on par with other high-end beauty retouching series that I've looked at. If you're really into high-end fashion and beauty retouching then I definitely recommend Mastering Retouching as the series you go with."

NOTE: At the time of the review the price was $299. We've since dropped the price to $249.

Thanks again to all of you for your valuable feedback, especially those of you who have actually viewed the series.

Wishing you the HAPPIEST OF WHATEVER HOLIDAYS you celebrate, and a PROSPEROUS 2011!!!

Hi Nick,

Just a quick one - would you say that the techniques covered in the Mastering Retouching produce a similar (or at least are a basis of (without you revealing all your secrets!) output to say some of your latest works such as the Kardashian shoot?

http://nicksaglimbeni.com/?p=800

Just to give people an idea of the direction that they may be able to eventually take their work..
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2010, 07:11 AM

Check craig's list:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/pho/2109163305.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
Save your money or check craigs list...

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/pho/2109163305.html

as the ad says "a little pricey"...I'd drop the little.
Ha ha! Thanks for the advice Skydog!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2010, 12:40 PM

Hey rka81,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rka81 View Post
Hi Nick,

Just a quick one - would you say that the techniques covered in the Mastering Retouching produce a similar (or at least are a basis of (without you revealing all your secrets!) output to say some of your latest works such as the Kardashian shoot?

http://nicksaglimbeni.com/?p=800

Just to give people an idea of the direction that they may be able to eventually take their work..
Absolutely. In fact, the Mastering Retouching techniques are all I've ever used to retouch my clients since the beginning of my career. It was most definitely used on the Kardashian family portrait. The only thing that would not be included in the series is the "HDR-effect" (because it's not real HDR) that you see in their clothing. That consists of simply dodging and burning wardrobe manually (or with masks) on luminosity layers.

* NOTE: With regards to Skydog's suggestion (love the edit BTW) please remember that you only receive training support, hi-res images for the advanced levels, and access to the Mastering Retouching Matrix forum if you purchase the DVDs legally through the website, which nearly every customer has said is worth far more than the purchase price in terms of additional income value.

Thanks, and best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2010, 12:49 PM

thanks...

Forgot...Merry Christmas Nick.

Last edited by skydog; 12-23-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching