RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

In my opinion it's still a terrible product.. All you have to do is pick up a SHOW magazine, scroll through the pages and examine the retouches; in no time flat you'll see why.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Saglimbeni View Post
Hey rka81,

Absolutely. In fact, the Mastering Retouching techniques are all I've ever used to retouch my clients since the beginning of my career. It was most definitely used on the Kardashian family portrait. The only thing that would not be included in the series is the "HDR-effect" (because it's not real HDR) that you see in their clothing. That consists of simply dodging and burning wardrobe manually (or with masks) on luminosity layers.

* NOTE: With regards to Skydog's suggestion (love the edit BTW) please remember that you only receive training support, hi-res images for the advanced levels, and access to the Mastering Retouching Matrix forum if you purchase the DVDs legally through the website, which nearly every customer has said is worth far more than the purchase price in terms of additional income value.

Thanks, and best of luck to you!

Thanks for the response

Merry Christmas everyone!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2011, 11:33 PM

Hey guys and gals,

I hope you are all having a wonderful 2011 filled with lots of paying work! I wanted to let you know about the upcoming March 1 release of our new series Mastering Compositing, the follow-up to Mastering Retouching.

I hired veteran art director Clint Davis, who's composited over 100 magazine covers and thousands of images, to record the series under my personal supervision. Those of you who know what a stickler I am for details will appreciate the same thoroughness found in Mastering Retouching in this series.

I've taken all of your feedback into consideration from the last 14 months, and I've decided to price this series about $150 cheaper than our previous series.

Special Pre-Order pricing is available now for the 5-Level series at MasteringCompositing.com, or you can simply click on the banners on the MasteringRetouching.com website for more info.

The 5 Levels to Mastering Compositing are as follows:

1 - Tools & Basics
2 - Simple Compositing
3 - Photo Enhancement
4 - Magazine Cover
5 - Advanced Movie Poster

Levels 2 thru 5 include start-to-finish composites, and all hi-res images, elements, environments, and special effects brushes are included in the series.

As always, I'm here to answer any questions that you have, and I look forward to speaking with and meeting many of you, as I've done at the PhotoshopWorld conventions last year. Also, just a heads up, we'll be at WPPI in Las Vegas from February 21-23, at Booth #1667.

Wishing you all the happiness you seek and the best of luck in your endeavors!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2011, 02:13 AM

mastering compositing is really interested in, but how long preorder time?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2011, 02:47 AM

Which magazine have you done the covers for?
G
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2011, 12:13 AM

Hey RP crew,

Great news for SlickforceSystem fans. Pre-orders for Mastering Compositing have been coming in so strong and more than 70% of you requested a DVD set similar to Mastering Retouching if they become available, so I'm happy to announce that we've just created a beautifully packaged Box Set of all 5 Levels of Mastering Compositing. I will post pics in a few days!

Also, we just got back from WPPI and the show was amazing! The response to Mastering Compositing was incredible, and I was like a kid in a candy store...so excited to get the first glimpse of our DVD Box Set, which I have to say I am extremely proud of. You will want to put this on your shelf. It's easily the best-looking product we've ever put out.

This week at WPPI, as with past shows, we allowed prospective customers to watch the series both on HDTV and on the iPad we had floating around the show (which people really went crazy for...seems people are really embracing the concept of tablet tutorials). The following are actual customer quotes from the show:

"I love the way Clint teaches. He moves at just the right speed and is very easy to understand."

"Slickforce always puts out the best stuff, and if this is half as good as Mastering Retouching, I'm buying it."

"I'm so happy this is more affordable than your first series."

"This is awesome. I've always wanted to add explosions and special effects to my shots. I love that you included effects brushes."

"Compositing has always confused me, but you have made it so easy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelez View Post
mastering compositing is really interested in, but how long preorder time?
Thanks for the reminder. Pre-Order Pricing is available until February 28 @ midnight PST (California time). Download delivery and DVD shipping begin March 1, when prices will return to normal rates on the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet01 View Post
Which magazine have you done the covers for?
Together, Clint Davis and I have done over 250 magazine covers, including Maxim, People, Import Tuner, LowRider, Cliq, Celeb Life, Rebel Ink, Urban Ink, Open Your Eyes, Heavy Hitters, SuperStreet, Alt, SHOW, BlackMen, Today's Black Woman, Hype Hair, LowRider Girls and more.

We have also done international photography, retouching, and compositing campaigns for Skechers, Sears, PETA, GNC, QuickTrim, Kardashian Konfidential, and the much-talked-about Kardashian Christmas card that circulated around the world recently: See it here.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions as we enter the final week before Mastering Compositing is released, I can't wait for you guys to see this series!!!!

Last edited by Nick Saglimbeni; 04-17-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2011, 10:16 PM

I like watching the retouching videos. I've probably watched days worth of retouching material looking for things I can apply to my images.

I ended up in this thread while searching for something else, and this thread is fun to read. Here is my short review (take it with a grain of salt since I am a N00b on this board) :

- Nick's product is the most polished one out there. It is well organized, it works like a mini web site. The videos are well produced, sound is great as well as the resolution.

- Nick's narration of the methods are phenomenal, he focuses on the right things without going into technical details. Very easy to follow, and very fluid.

- It covers the 'slickforce' method which is based on moving pixels around with the clone tool while keeping the contours and luminosity of the body. It is very well explained by Nick and he demonstrates the method many many occasions with different photos.

- The method is primarily useful if you are doing full body retouching. It can be used for beauty (and Nick has an example in the videos) but you will not get results like AmyD. I believe this method is not for the classic 'beauty' shots, where you want to enhance some detailed textures.

- Nick demonstrates very quick and easy color correction methods, adding color and detail to the eyes and how to deal with different complexions, and does some liquifying. He demonstrates how to clean up the seamless (I am jealous he has a lot of colorful seamless paper in the studio, and his hot models). Strangely he never touches the curves tool throughout the training.

- There are also no sharpening, contrast, or global color correction methods mentioned in this set. It is primarily focused on Skin and skin color.

- The images Nick works on are perfectly exposed, sharp and with great lighting. It is rather easy to make them fantastic by just working on the skin and enhancing the highlights. The only time Nick plays with the light is for an outdoor shot with harsh light.

- If you are retouching 20-30 (or more) glamour, bikini, nude images a week this method saves great time and produces magazine quality results. Price of this product is at this point will not be important because you will be saving significant amount of time and producing quality images.

- I compared 'slickforce' technique with 'surface blur+noise', 'dust & scratches + noise', 'surface blur + fake texture' and portraiture plugin. For challenging tasks slickforce produces more natural results while creating more realistic textures and gives more control to the retoucher.

Personally I learned a good technique from this set that I am trying on my images right now.

On the other hand the most I learned and enjoyed set was Calvin's. His set is worth gold, I use his material all the time right now. Calvin also has some great techniques which can be applied to beauty shots.

Hope this helps,
Sehmuz
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehmuzb View Post
take it with a grain of salt since I am a N00b on this board
No kidding

Quote:
The method is primarily useful if you are doing full body retouching. It can be used for beauty
I'm gonna let ll the other points slide... but not this one.

That technique CAN'T be used in beauty - IF you want some kind of future in the beauty industry that is.

Just that... oh and I HATE marketing
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
No kidding

I'm gonna let ll the other points slide... but not this one.

That technique CAN'T be used in beauty - IF you want some kind of future in the beauty industry that is.

Just that... oh and I HATE marketing
Hey Natalia,

You are right about the beauty comment, I just did not want to say that harshly .

I love your videos BTW, 11hrs of fantastic work, it took me almost a week to watch it. If you think above was marketing, I can write one for you too

Cheers,
Sehmuz
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Hey Natalia,

You are right about the beauty comment, I just did not want to say that harshly .

I love your videos BTW, 11hrs of fantastic work, it took me almost a week to watch it. If you think above was marketing, I can write one for you too

Cheers,
Sehmuz
No, thank you. The one and only thing I asked to the people doing the review on my DVD was for them to be 100% honest (Doesn't matter how harsh it was) - Even said no when they offer me to read it before they went public.

Have a nice day.

x
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching