RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:34 PM

Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
No kidding

I'm gonna let ll the other points slide... but not this one.

That technique CAN'T be used in beauty - IF you want some kind of future in the beauty industry that is.

Just that... oh and I HATE marketing
WHEW!! So glad my Noob army of super-spies has infiltrated RP once again. I feel like Sauromon about to storm Helm's Deep. (Good job guys...meeting at the usual undisclosed location this Saturday and don't forget the Ginger Ale.)

Oh, sweet, sweet Natalia, you and your pillow talk. Somehow, I find myself bathing in a shower of your loving attention every time someone praises my series (even when they include plenty of criticism...you must REALLY like me.) Since I have never said anything negative about your series, I'll just assume this is how you display professional courtesy. In any case, I appreciate you bumping my thread—it keeps the sales rolling in!

For those of you who are actually finding my series helpful, I continue to enjoy reading your feedback, both positive and negative, so keep it coming. I've now had the pleasure of meeting many of you at PhotoshopWorld, WPPI, and PhotoKamp, and it excites me to see the passion with which you pursue your respective art. Perhaps the most thrilling part for me is hearing how much MONEY you are making now that you've added retouching to your photography packages. I can't believe how many people are telling me that they are making more $$$ adding retouching as an upsell then they ever did in photography! And yes, Mastering Retouching specializes in speed and high-volume retouching, because the faster you are, the higher your hourly rate & effective profit. How many of you can honestly say you wouldn't like to make more money? Perhaps the worst you can accuse me of is training artists to make a decent living in this increasingly competitive business.

And as I've said many times before, all of your comments (especially the thoughtful-yet-difficult-to-digest ones) have helped us to improve and refine our series', as you will see in the new Mastering Compositing™ series, which ships today and is probably BETTER than Mastering Retouching, given the two years of notes you all have given me. We continue to offer the same stellar customer support that you've experienced over the years, so please message me either here or on the Slickforce forum if you have any issues with the new series.

Orders have already begun shipping today as promised, and download links will continue to be delivered until midnight tonight. As we did last year with Mastering Retouching™, we are beginning with the latest timezones (Australia, Indonesia, etc.) and gradually working our way West until we end up sending the final US orders tonight.

I'm curious to see how you compare Clint Davis's teaching style to my own. He's a well-mannered southern boy, with wholesome family values and infinite patience—certainly a far cry from the used-car salesman a precious few of you have chosen to label me.

Also, to spare my beloved beta-testers from the rod, I've asked them specifically NOT to post in here. So any feedback, positive or negative, will come only from customers (and pirates.) As always, I LOVE to hear your thoughts, so please send them along!!!

(Yes, that's right. I used THREE pumpkins.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Saglimbeni View Post
I'll just assume this is how you display professional courtesy

I don't know you. I don't owe you any "courtesy"

I don't like my name being on this thread.

I only want people to have another opinion. Then they can make their own mind.

Have a nice day nick.

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2011, 09:39 PM

I'm sure "God" will chastise me for this, but whatever, I have broad shoulders. I don't post often. The flame fest that ensues is why. This being one of the extremely rare days I am feeling a little 'posty' so here goes:

I find the DVD's to be extremely well thought out, well written, and perfect for what I want to learn. They teach the techniques for beautiful high end retouching quickly and efficiently. In English. I appreciate Nick's humor, his down-to-earth attitude, and most of all his work. It's amusing to say the least to watch people kick out his barstool, and he just keeps smiling tongue in cheek. Kudos, Nick; Keep up the professionalism - others should be taking notes from you.

Alas, a final thought:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
I don't know you. I don't owe you any "courtesy"
Did you seriously type that? lol

Nick, I will be buying both the snake-oil kit, and the smoke-and-mirrors kit from you next Tuesday. Looking forward to learning absolutely nothing as some would portray.... >.<

~Flair

Last edited by FlairDevil; 03-01-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2011, 10:24 PM

Always love your sarcasm Nick..I've missed you...glad you're back promoting. You really need to work on that marketing DVD..you'd make a killing. And please be sure to provide a pretty box.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
Always love your sarcasm Nick..I've missed you...glad you're back promoting. You really need to work on that marketing DVD..you'd make a killing. And please be sure to provide a pretty box.
Thanks Skydog, good to know I was missed. And yes, my marketing DVD will include pretty girls, a pimp box set, and a special lesson on bulletproofing yourself in hostile environments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlairDevil View Post
Nick, I will be buying both the snake-oil kit, and the smoke-and-mirrors kit from you next Tuesday. Looking forward to learning absolutely nothing. >.<
Honored to have your business. And don't forget about my upcoming series' on Slight-of-Hand. I promise to pull the wool over your eyes and under-deliver as always!

http://masteringcompositing.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2011, 10:09 AM

I took the trouble of reading most of the pages in this thread, and I wouldn't buy your dvd Nick because of the way you do business, not because of the product (which has a certain target customer anyway, and if you aren't one you won't buy it).
Public forums are a jungle, and it's the same as wikipedia, lots of info, edited by lots of people. if you're stupid enough to buy a product baesd on what one or the other says, if that product sucks, it's your fault. Again, if a trustworthy source says something about it, and it doesn't live up to the review, that person will be out of business soon if that's what they do for a living.
But seeing you market and promote your product the way you did, just makes it look from my point of view like you're selling a desperate product that needs forum reviews to be succesful. Picking on Natalia isn't a great tactic, seeing as she is much more active here, giving relevant and helpful and free advice all the time, while you other than being apparently a known photographer/retoucher are just someone trying to sell a dvd ( haven't seen you around here doing the same things as her, so if you did do them, I apologize).
Another point I want to address:the attacks on your dvd for some reason seem more real than the praise, and that is in part because the praise seems overhyped for a product that at most seems intended for beginners.

Marketing the Slickforce Technique as something you came up with when apparently it has been around for a while before you mentioned it (based on what I read in this thread), is like that Bikhram yoga guy who says that because he invented a new succession of poses, it's something new.

To end the post on a biased note (true and honoring to the tradition of internet forums) "slickforce" is a ridiculous name, especially when it apparently can be also called clone smearing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2011, 10:19 AM

I agree,

I received this DVD as a gift and it was the biggest piece of waste of my time ever. Repetitive of the same technique over and over. The whole series was based on the clone stamp. Which is by no means a technique made by Nick. So I don't know what he is smoking if he thinks is a new and revolutionary technique made by him. Changing the name to slick force those not make it a new technique. Basically clone stamping on a low opacity is basically blurring so it is not a high end technique at all. The video is not worth the price tag and I learn much more from my linda subscription in 1 day than I did from this DVD. I do not recommend. I am a real person sharing my honesty not a paid or fake person who was paid to review a product those are really unscrupulous sales tactics Nick.

Angie
www.AngelaPerez.co.cc
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2011, 11:36 AM

I think most of the people who got a lot out of Nick's product were very new to retouching. One sign is that they are largely new to retouching forums. No one who's got a bit of experience under their belt could take that clone smearing technique seriously as anything but an alternative to surface blur. A step down from degrunge.

If it were a $59 item geared to the hobbiest, okay, you spend some money to learn how to use that one trick and maybe it's all you need for shots of the kids. But really, at a premium price it's silly.

But I wish Nick good luck on this compositing series. Maybe it will be more thorough.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2011, 11:46 AM

And if anyone wants to see high end beauty work for cheap just watch some of the RetouchPro Live broadcasts.

$10 to see the likes of Tarantino, Garness, Beene, Dresser, etc, is rediculously good.

When will we see Godmoter/Natalia on RTP Live?

But it's true that they don't teach you how to do a 15 min retouch. Nick will, I give him that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2011, 04:37 PM

Way to hijack a thread. lol I just watched a rebroadcast of Tarantino. Strange, the 1st 45 minutes was entirely clone stamp. Weird huh?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching