RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:17 PM

Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlairDevil View Post
Way to hijack a thread. lol I just watched a rebroadcast of Tarantino. Strange, the 1st 45 minutes was entirely clone stamp. Weird huh?
Who hijacked the thread? The OP asked what people thought of Nick and Natalia's DVD. Isn't that what we're talking about?

Maybe the problem is people confusing the thread for an advertisement.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2011, 07:37 PM

Like...... an advertisement for the RTP webcasts, yes? lol ;-) I keed I keed!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2011, 06:12 AM

(BE WARNED: What you are about to read waxes philosophical. Ignore this post if you hate nerd talk, because I'm about to get Dungeons & Dragons (2nd Edition) on you.)

Flashtones and FlairDevil, thank you for that recent dialogue. Your conversation just sparked an amazing observation in my head.

I've made my mark in the industry primarily as a photographer, and not a retoucher, so I understand that, at the very least, I'd be considered an outsider in a forum called "RetouchPro", if not a welcome outsider. And if any of you felt that I entered your home without introducing myself, removing my shoes, and shaking your hand, then I do sincerely apologize for the oversight. That was my never my intention, and this is your clubhouse. Let's start over.

Hi, I'm Nick.

With that said, I ask you to simply go back and re-read the soap-opera that this thread has become. Seriously, it's better than the last season of The Sopranos. People are getting really emotional about retouching. I mean really emotional, like on a political level. And that's probably also why this thread has so many views—because something is resonating with, or at least piquing the curiosity of, the readers.

RetouchPro is currently our largest source of sales, and I think it's safe to assume that the great majority of the customers who purchased directly or indirectly through this site, have most certainly read at least a chunk of this thread. So I'm left to conclude that there is at least the possiblity of a disconnect between some of the more "vibrant" posters in this thread and the general or up-and-coming retouching public who stumbled upon the site like me. (You lurkers, you. I know you're there!)

Perhaps not everyone, as others have stated, wants to spend 8 hours retouching a single shot. Perhaps there are those who have chosen photography or retouching as a profession because it's a lot more fun than milling steel (I say this with the greatest respect to steel-workers, whom I grew up with in Baltimore, and I think even they would agree.) I mean, let's be honest, if we had our way, wouldn't we all just be running naked on a beach somewhere? Who wants to stare at a screen all day? I don't, and I LOVE my job.

With Mastering Retouching, I've created for my customers both a time-saver and a money-maker, which I can rightfully stand behind because I have done both for myself using exactly what I teach in the series, regardless of whether you think I have skill or not. And while I'm not terribly concerned what you think about me on a personal level, I do absolutely care whether or not I give an amazing product to a customer. Because I know how hard they've worked to earn that money, and I would never disrespect another's blood, sweat, or time.

Believe it or not, I am thrilled to be here with you guys, amongst your collective wealth of experience and intelligence, and to have a forum such as RetouchPro to discuss my series. Every bit of both positive and negative feedback helps me give my customers better products in the future. So there's never much point in arguing because I'm very grateful to you. That doesn't mean I don't think some of you could be nicer, but no one says you have to be nice. As your Godmother so correctly pointed out, you don't owe me anything.

And when you say that people are only interested in what I teach because of my marketing skills, I am honestly both flattered and shocked, because I don't consider myself a great marketer. I am just real with people. I tell them what I have, and they decide if they want to buy it, steal it, or reject it. It's pretty simple really. For those of you who want to know my marketing secret, I'm going to give it away for free (yes, not my style, I know, but I'm in a generous mood) right now:

Find a way to reach people, and then make a connection, hopefully by inspiring them.

That's it. If someone has a better technique than me, then by all means, go out and sell it, or give it away for free, or put it in a fortune cookie—whatever makes your heart sing. But discrediting my abilities while smart people are watching me build a commercial career largely off the use of these techniques is counterproductive. If you hate my series so much, just let the thread die. You will kill my sales, and I can take up skeet-shooting, or perhaps the xylophone. Yes...it shall be the xylophone.
*evil laugh*

But the reason I can read this thread without shooting myself in the head is because people write me every day to tell me how much this series has helped them make money, save time, and most importantly how easy it is to learn. Why must a technique be complicated to be good?

And if I was really out to mislead people, do you honestly think I'd be in here so often, personally addressing all of these comments with technical and factual responses? Don't you think I would be hiding out in a cave somewhere with my periscope, and a cat on my lap, and a shark moat? (Because let's face it, every respectable villain must, at the very least, have a shark moat.)

Think about it.

-Nick

Last edited by Nick Saglimbeni; 03-03-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2011, 10:55 AM

Long time without passing around here... Seems that people here is wearing their clothes off
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2011, 12:52 PM

Oh so it's all about money.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet01 View Post
Welcome to the world
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2011, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet01 View Post
Actually, no. But thank you for bringing it up.

It first lies with making every client feel amazing and secure. Can anyone here honestly tell me that you don't get excited when your models/subjects/clients tell you that they love the way you make them look? Isn't that one of the best parts of the job? It's so much bigger than degrunge-versus-clone-stamp-versus-blurring. You have to really get off on making people feel good.

If you stay focused on that goal, then the rest actually happens quite naturally.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Saglimbeni View Post
It first lies with making every client feel amazing and secure. Can anyone here honestly tell me that you don't get excited when your models/subjects/clients tell you that they love the way you make them look? Isn't that one of the best parts of the job? It's so much bigger than degrunge-versus-clone-stamp-versus-blurring. You have to really get off on making people feel good.

If you stay focused on that goal, then the rest actually happens quite naturally.
Hi Nick, as a photographer I must agree with you. People deserve to look better. From my personal experience - if you choose the best possible retouching technique + you agree to spend more time working on your picture - people are more happy with the result and agree to pay more money for your work.
Filip
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2011, 10:35 AM

So happy makes you that, people? Do it for free then C'mon...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2011, 11:43 AM

This is all too funny
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching