RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:16 AM

Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

What was the original question?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlairDevil View Post
So Trendkiller (oh ye of one post and I guess white knight staus), in summation, he fired you or would not hire you. Amirite? lol
Na na nothing like that mate. I've actually never met the bloke and I actually do feel the need to be somewhat apologetic about the hostility of that post. I'm my own photographer, and I appreciate the intelligence of this forum and it's members, it's a proper place to learn from. It's just that there are so many young models and newcomer photographers out there looking for some way to get into the industry, and then there are these 'sheisters' who can't turn a dime in the real business so they look to taking money from those newcomers who don't know any better that they are being fleeced for information that one can receive for free- or doesn't in fact, actually need.

I haven't seen Nick's DVD, and there are those who say it's a good thing, so I can't comment on his product. But, like I said in previous post, one hears information through word of mouth -even in L.A.- and it's a smaller community than you think. I've heard from a few people about what Nick's really all about when he's not trying to act friendly/phoney to people to get their money, and I've known people who have told me that he makes up things like the testamonials for his products/services, or promts his students write them in exchange for discounted fees, etc. But alas, this has just become the modern way of doing business, it seems. If they can't cut it in the real world, they just give themselves accolades and praise, then sell it to the naive public.

I have a firm stance against this type of business practice, and at the top of the list are phoney "modeling agencies', and guys who played D&D long after puberty and therefore couldn't get chicks, so they had a wealthy family member give them some money and they bought a big camera, some big lights and bought into a magazine partership so they could get close to hot (and very naive) girls that way. Then they make up their own hype and charge the public for "professional instruction". Knowledge is free, and it arms one against rip-off artitsts- which is the only kind of art types like Nick have ever mastered. Apologies to anyone on this forum whom I might have offended with my strong convictions, sans the guilty of course.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendkiller918 View Post
But alas, this has just become the modern way of doing business, it seems.
Not for everyone. I'm thinking of leaving this forums entirely because of my name being in this disgusting thread.

I still believe in honesty.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendkiller918 View Post
Na na nothing like that mate. I've actually never met the bloke and I actually do feel the need to be somewhat apologetic about the hostility of that post. I'm my own photographer, and I appreciate the intelligence of this forum and it's members, it's a proper place to learn from. It's just that there are so many young models and newcomer photographers out there looking for some way to get into the industry, and then there are these 'sheisters' who can't turn a dime in the real business so they look to taking money from those newcomers who don't know any better that they are being fleeced for information that one can receive for free- or doesn't in fact, actually need.

I haven't seen Nick's DVD, and there are those who say it's a good thing, so I can't comment on his product. But, like I said in previous post, one hears information through word of mouth -even in L.A.- and it's a smaller community than you think. I've heard from a few people about what Nick's really all about when he's not trying to act friendly/phoney to people to get their money, and I've known people who have told me that he makes up things like the testamonials for his products/services, or promts his students write them in exchange for discounted fees, etc. But alas, this has just become the modern way of doing business, it seems. If they can't cut it in the real world, they just give themselves accolades and praise, then sell it to the naive public.

I have a firm stance against this type of business practice, and at the top of the list are phoney "modeling agencies', and guys who played D&D long after puberty and therefore couldn't get chicks, so they had a wealthy family member give them some money and they bought a big camera, some big lights and bought into a magazine partership so they could get close to hot (and very naive) girls that way. Then they make up their own hype and charge the public for "professional instruction". Knowledge is free, and it arms one against rip-off artitsts- which is the only kind of art types like Nick have ever mastered. Apologies to anyone on this forum whom I might have offended with my strong convictions, sans the guilty of course.
See I think all this stuff is as irrelevant as Nick's posts about himself.

It's not about him, his character, motivations, humble beginnings, whether he posts here or not, etc.

Is it a good product or not? Will you get a lot of mileage out of his techniques and is it a good value relative to the other offerings in the marketplace?

It's not about Nick, it's about the DVD.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2011, 03:37 PM

I'm so confused. Why is Trendkiller writing such a lengthy, hostile character attack against a guy he has neither met nor has he even bought the product? What is the motive here? Did Nick steal your girlfriend? Are you mad that you haven't done the work to put together your own product? Are you mad at Brad Pitt for being super handsome too and getting Angelina Jolie? (Well, I'm a little pissed about that too...so unfair...the madness of it all!

So, I got to know Nick a few years ago because I saw his photo work and was impressed with his retouching quality too. This is long before he put together the DVDs...I paid a LOT of $ for a one-on-one session with him to learn the techniques. Now wouldn't I be in a position of high credibility to make a judgement about being fleeced? Or is the guy who has neither met Nick, nor has bought any of his product the "go to" voice of credibility? Oh wait, he heard some stuff, from people who know some people who know Nick. Probably couldn't be a disgruntled fired employee or envious broke photographer. Impossible. LOL.

Anyway, the more I interact with Nick, the more I like him and respect him. Is Nick perfect? No. Is Nick crazy? Probably, more than a little, yes. But he stands apart from the crowd (especially the armchair whiners sitting at home, uselessly talking sh&#) by creating and doing really cool stuff. Life is too short. I want to be able to learn some really cool stuff so I can look back and say, "I did some cool stuff."

In fact, I just sucked it up and signed up for Nick's April PhotoKamp...I'm sure I will be mocked by some. But I know from personal experience with Nick, it's not going to be boring, I'll learn a hell of a lot, it's going to be a blast— and it's my money, not yours.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfather View Post
I'm so confused. Why is Trendkiller writing such a lengthy, hostile character attack against a guy he has neither met nor has he even bought the product? What is the motive here? Did Nick steal your girlfriend? Are you mad that you haven't done the work to put together your own product? Are you mad at Brad Pitt for being super handsome too and getting Angelina Jolie? (Well, I'm a little pissed about that too...so unfair...the madness of it all!

So, I got to know Nick a few years ago because I saw his photo work and was impressed with his retouching quality too. This is long before he put together the DVDs...I paid a LOT of $ for a one-on-one session with him to learn the techniques. Now wouldn't I be in a position of high credibility to make a judgement about being fleeced? Or is the guy who has neither met Nick, nor has bought any of his product the "go to" voice of credibility? Oh wait, he heard some stuff, from people who know some people who know Nick. Probably couldn't be a disgruntled fired employee or envious broke photographer. Impossible. LOL.

Anyway, the more I interact with Nick, the more I like him and respect him. Is Nick perfect? No. Is Nick crazy? Probably, more than a little, yes. But he stands apart from the crowd (especially the armchair whiners sitting at home, uselessly talking sh&#) by creating and doing really cool stuff. Life is too short. I want to be able to learn some really cool stuff so I can look back and say, "I did some cool stuff."

In fact, I just sucked it up and signed up for Nick's April PhotoKamp...I'm sure I will be mocked by some. But I know from personal experience with Nick, it's not going to be boring, I'll learn a hell of a lot, it's going to be a blast— and it's my money, not yours.
And that is what a phoned-in, prompted testamonial is.

When Nick asked you to go on Retouch Pro and make up something to discredit me and make him look like a genuine guy who just loves people, did you know you were going to bollocks it up by acknowledging that I've never met him, yet propose in the next sentence that I was probably fired by him? How does that work, genius? Nick's not getting his return favor's worth out of your ability to come up with a good crock story, that's for sure.

If it wasn't clear to you why I posted my thoughts, then it's because you didn't read them. I explained why in both posts, clearly, multiple times. And no, I have no connection to him, I just see the hack-quality of product he churns out (SHOW magazine), his misleading publishing credits, and his smoke and mirrors way of tricking the public into thinking he's a relavant figure in the industry. If his DVD teaches you how to retouch like SHOW magazine, than you're in for a skill that you don't want in your work- unless rejection is on your list of goals.

I think Flashtones made the best point, and I have to agree with his thoughts even though it's not in favor of mine - this is all irrelivant and has nothing to do with this thread about the DVD. So I'll leave it at that.
In closing, since you mention his Photokamp, enjoy all the "secrets" Nick's going to sell you that no one, not even Nick himself, has found to lead them to success. Like you said, it's your several-thousand dollars mate, and when you're done with his kamp, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you as well.
Oh and speaking of doing cool things, I'm catching a flight out early a.m. to St. Barts for my next job. Wrong guess on me being a broke photographer. Enjoy his expensive kamp, if that's you're idea of cool. While you're paying Nick for his "secrets", I'm getting paid to shoot not knowing what the bloody hell he's even talking about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2011, 11:11 PM

To me if boils down to:
Do I want to spend hundreds of dollars on learning how to use the clone stamp tool or not.
Because that's what the Slickforce technique is being described as. If anyone who has seen the dvd could explain a bit more, without giving it away of course, since it's the whole point of selling the dvd, and contradict those earlier statements, it might change public opinion about his product.
If this product doesn't deliver high end techniques, like she who shall not be named in this thread's dvd, than it is overpriced and misleadingly advertised in my opinion.
P.S. If you only have Nick's dvd as a reference point, it's not relevant, plus knowing the difference between Vogue and SHOW is essential to give credibility to you explanation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2011, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
Not for everyone. I'm thinking of leaving this forums entirely because of my name being in this disgusting thread.

dont leave us , we are still need you in this forum, i learn many from you...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2011, 04:52 AM

me too..=)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post

Fortunately snake oil gets old fast.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching