RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:17 PM

Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

I'm not going to go through all that here. And if I did I don't think it would really sway peoples minds here. The point is head over there to his forum and ask him for yourself. Cant hurt...

Happy new year you miserable bunch!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 12:05 AM

Hey all y'all! This is my first post here although I've lurked around here for quite a while. In my quest for retouching knowledge, I have found very useful several of the tutorials on this site. There are some excellent nuggets here.

Disclosure: I was one of the beta testers for Mastering Retouching by Nick. Maybe my experience is helpful, maybe not. Most, if not all, people with the insight to be game changers were hounded by piles of naysayers....especially at the launch phase.

Last year, I personally flew to LA and paid a handsome fee for a one-on-one retouch session with Nick at Slickforce. When I say handsome, I mean WAY more than the price of the DVD set. Here's why I made that decision: Nick's actual retouching and photo work BLOWS AWAY every retouching book author I have read (I have at least 16 inches of retouching advice on my bookshelf...but compare the quality of published authors' actual results with Nick's—the proof is in the puddin'). His studio is the real deal—magazine covers like crazy, awesome studio and post-workflow. Talk is cheap, go look at the retouch worked photos on his slickforce site. Re-dunkulous.

His stuff doesn't cure cancer, but you can blow your models and clients away in a much shorter time than you'd expect. We did. Most of the Retouching tomes I have are a "mile wide and an inch deep." Nick's stuff is limited to making women look incredible, but very realistically. It's valuable to me because of its focus...because of what he does NOT cover. With all the junk on the internet, it's pretty easy to see that you can spend years separating the wheat from the chaff. Most aspiring retouchers won't buy Mastering Retouching, at least not during the first year...which in a sick kind of way makes me happy...because if everyone with a copy of Photoshop could blow away clients, the scarcity of the skill dies.

In my experience, a nickel and dime attitude usually yields nickel and dime results (and a nickel and dime lifestyle). I was mocked for years about using Apple..."hey, I can build a computer for half the price by scrounging around garage sales for the parts." Yeah, but in the end, you how much of your life have you wasted in dingy garages, while I enjoy my beautiful and elegant machine that doesn't crash and is a joy to just look at? Ah yes, after a while, lots of others eventually jump on the bandwagon after it's "safe."

That is how I feel about Nick's knowledge with retouching. Beautiful, inspiring results. Fun to watch, engaging...not yawn inducing (like pretty much everything else I've seen).
Sure, caveat emptor, but for me, the risk was abso-freakin'-lutely worth it. I had so many "A HA!" moments while watching the beta videos...even after I had the whole day workshop with him last year. Three or four of those eureka moments justified my ROI. After all...no risk, no payoff right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 04:36 AM

First of all! (HOGFATHER) Who are you? How do we Know your just not one of Nicks Friends,(WHICH IS WHAT I AM THINKING).You Have ONE Post and its a SALES PITCH.
In All Fairness you can sell your product for what ever you want.
DONT EVEN GO DOWN PC VERSUS MAC ITS IDIOTIC
NICKEL AND DIME ATTITUDE,I WOULD NOT SAY,Katrin Eismann or Chris Tarentino to name a few ARE NICKEL AND DIME
Nicks Work is nice,Better than I could do BUT! I HAVE SEEN A LOT BETTER
NOW DOWN TO THE WHEAT AND SHAFT:TRUTH BE KNOWN ITS HARD WORK THERE IS NO MAGIC DVD OR PLUGIN OR FORMULA
people that are good its because they put in the time honing there craft NOT that tips and tutorials dont help they most certainly do
FINALLY In My Opinion YOU GUYS KNOW THIS IS PROBABLY THE BEST PLACE TO FLOG YOUR GOODS
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 07:54 AM

There is no need to shout zganie. You only make yourself look like a tit by doing that. At the end of the day if you are not interested then don't buy it but there is no need to slate it before you have even seen it yourself. I don't see people shouting towards Calvin Hollywood or anyone else.

Also I think Nick already said it wasn't a plugin.

Grow up will you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 07:58 AM

LOL, All I read was marketing marketing marketing. There is nothing there that can be said that is an actual comparative information to make me think the DVD is actually worth the money.
The mac and nickle and dime examples have nothing to do with this, nobody really talks about the techniques at all everyone just says "it will blow you away" give me a break when all the "beta testers" and the actual producer of the DVD only talk marketing in their responses and don't publicly answer some direct questions, it makes the DVD look even more fishy.
Stop with the marketing talk and actually talk about the techniques, is it similar to the degrunge technique? Is it better? Some of what it's explained in the last topic of the DVD is simple retouching which I learned from the beginning.
I know when doing something like this its to make money, but be careful when discerning what the actual market is, is this for newbies? is this for advanced? Also be informed that depending on the type of photography different retouches are necessary, Glamour or T&A type photography has one type of retouch on the skin, Beauty photography or fashion photography has another. Sometimes you mix techniques with each but there is rarely a one does all technique, even Dodge & Burn has its drawbacks, and that's the base for most beauty and fashion retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 08:05 AM

I don't think they are going to talk techniques. If he did that why would anyone want to buy it?

I will give feedback once I get my copy. I opted for the download version too so should be able to get it on the day it is released. Until then please do yourselves a favour and pipe down, the constant snapping is getting tiresome. Anyway it's clear you are not even interested in this so why do you continue to post in here?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedonechanged View Post
I don't think they are going to talk techniques. If he did that why would anyone want to buy it?

I will give feedback once I get my copy. I opted for the download version too so should be able to get it on the day it is released. Until then please do yourselves a favour and pipe down, the constant snapping is getting tiresome. Anyway it's clear you are not even interested in this so why do you continue to post in here?
LOL because I can.
Besides if you can't talk about the techniques then its actually all a gimmick, I'm not saying detail me how to do it but at least answer technical stuff enough to prove you're not relying on the marketing of "hey quick and easy professional results", when your last chapter "supposedly the most important one" details basic stuff most of us learn at the start of our "career".

The other thing is that I don't like when people use just marketing to sell their product and not answer directly publicly when people ask questions. Seems you're decided in buying the DVD so why do you gripe about my posts? Does it bother you that I'm against it? If so why?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 09:01 AM

Because it's not bringing anything constructive to the discussion. Anyway like I said I will give my feedback as and when I get a chance to try it out. Unltil then your opinions don't really mean anything anyway as you haven't seen the content yet either.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 09:07 AM

lol whatever... you'll tell me if I'm right or not anyway so I don't mind...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 09:08 AM

Exactly... you may be right but at least wait till I have given my feedback. Then you can make your judgments based on facts rather than assumptions. Until then try to be a bit polite to Nick. You never know you may end up buying this and end up looking stupid after all this ranting.

Last edited by gamedonechanged; 01-05-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching