RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:24 AM

Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

lol, I'll always have trouble to be polite to someone that uses marketing lingo like that....
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 09:28 AM

Then I think you should work on your interaction skills.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 10:03 AM

lol, not likely...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 11:23 AM

Wow, I haven't been on Retouch Pro in a while.. I figured I would go on today because I'm home sick from school and would try to pick up a few new things on retouching. But seriously, every one seems pretty hostel now and I feel like I just wasted 10 minutes of my time lol'ing as I read through this.

On the other hand, I checked out the Mastering Retouching series website. I like the glow/glamorous look on all of the models. I think that suites my style of what I'm trying to do more than Natalias work. They both seem like good dvds, and actually I got high-end retouching techniques for x-mas last year. Which I thought was alright, even though it seemed like it left a few things out and the style of retouching was more normal, like what all the other dvd's and training videos seem to teach. I've taken a few courses in retouching, one with Carrie Beene at the photo expo in NYC. It was pretty awesome, not to cheap for a two hour seminar though and the things I learned gave me a look that was similar to what every one else was teaching.

Mastering retouching seems to be the best "glamor retouching" training series. There seems to be cheap or even free training on glamor retouching, but its seems like with the knowledge I have now I could figure out a better way of what they were doing. I feel I could still use the techniques I'd learn from mastering retouching on the girls I shoot even though I dont shoot many girls with little to no clothing on. It seems like each training video or seminar I go to I pick up 1 or 2 new things. I already have a work flow, and I dont plan on changing all of it at once. But I think learning a few new ways of improving it with the way a professional does something and trying new things out on your own is be the best way of staying fresh.

Those are my opinions on the training series. To answer the original question on which one is better I think its entirely up to what you want to achieve with your photography. It seems like there is a lot more informational on the retouching style by Natalia's work than there is with Nick's mastering retouching series. So I think paying a little more for the mastering retouching series is worth it to me just because its different and no one has covered that genre of retouching this good and professionally it seems like.

I plan on pre-ordering the series soon, hopefully as a late x-mas present. But even if that doesn't work out the price still doesn't seem that high for something this professional. (I'm still in high school too) Hopefully I will pick up a few new ideas on how to retouch that I can use in my workflow of retouching. I can let you guys know what I think about the series after I'm done watching it if you want.

I hope people can become more professional around here!

Corey
www.coreyjenkinsphoto.com

Last edited by Corey Jenkins; 01-05-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 12:08 PM

My goodness. Those were my thoughts on the Mastering Retouching (beta) series based on first hand experience. I disclosed how I came to know Nick: sought him out last year because his work is incredible. A few months ago, he asked me to be a beta tester. I have no financial ties to him in any way (other than a paying customer). When did it become a crime to have a high opinion of someone's skills? Yes, I am a fan. Yes, I paid with my own cold hard cash.

If I were looking at it, that is what I would be interested in as one of the factors in my decision. Of course another way of looking at it is that a positive review of a non-open source product must be an evil, deceptive, marketing conspiracy right?

Gamedonechanged: You are wise with your even handed, thoughtful approach. And you are not crazy to expect some professional demeanor.

Corey: I got High End Retouching last year too (actually just before I attended Nick's workshop)...good DVD too, good presentation, I don't regret the purchase...but I feel like Nick's is more compelling, more focused, and the Slickforce technique is something I'd never come across before.

The site's description is pretty detailed about its contents. But I'm probably biased because I've seen a lot of the actual content so it seems clear to me. I suspect that Nick isn't going to give away the golden goose for free...no matter how many unmannerly ad hominem attacks are lobbed by a vocal minority. (When does that approach work anyway?)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfather View Post
I suspect that Nick isn't going to give away the golden goose for free...no matter how many unmannerly ad hominem attacks are lobbed by a vocal minority. (When does that approach work anyway?)
As I said the beta testers don't write about anything concrete, I agree that disclosing a technique step by step would be shooting yourself in the foot, but there are other things I and others have pointed out that has not been answered. Which if I'm right devalues the actual product (in my eyes), and which is why it has not been answered by anyone...

I think the unique thing that happened here was that we all had our opinions (either negative or positive) and they where normal with no "heat" on them, but when the actual producer of the product and the beta tester came in is when everything went "lively". Specially since some of the people on the negative side either have been burned before or have had access to some of the retouching dvd's out there and found that most of them use marketing to attract sales, while giving pretty little.

This is the nature of the beast. There will always be two sides of the coin, and there will be heated opinions for and against, people will judge new things with the bias of experience. I say take the good and the bad with a grain of salt, and make your own mind. Because in the end its not the money of the yay or nay "sayer" its YOUR money that's going to be spent.

Last edited by Cuervo79; 01-05-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 03:03 PM

a couple of days ago, i figured out, that during the order procedure at slickforce store they add national taxes by international customers....

i dont understand why this american supplier add 19% german tax.....

Last edited by HLP; 01-05-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 03:30 PM

Thats strange, I've never bought any thing overseas or know how that stuff works but you might want to contact Nick about that or do some research as to why theres a tax. You could try and avoid it and get maybe a family member or some one you trust in the U.S to buy it for you and just use your email. Then you would get the link for the download when it comes out. Just an idea, hopefully the feds wont freak out lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 03:54 PM

@Corey: i wrote two messages to Nick. But i didnt get an answer until now
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLP View Post
a couple of days ago, i figured out, that during the order procedure at slickforce store they add national taxes by international customers....

i dont understand why this american supplier add 19% german tax.....
Do you mean VAT? That's normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLP View Post
@Corey: i wrote two messages to Nick. But i didnt get an answer until now
You will probably get a quicker response from him if you sign up on the slickforce forum and post/pm him there.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching