RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:00 PM

Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Hi all

Interesting here:-)

I think we all have to respect the work of Nick.
Nobody have to buy the dvd.

I think the dvd was not done for people who are learning in forums and communitys.
Nick cant create new tools, nick cant create new techniques.

I am sure that every techniques was already done by someone.
But Nik can show his experience.
And words/experience can be more valuable then a tutorial.

- If you like to get techniques for retouchung the skin.....you will find the best tutorial here in this forum .
- If you like to get techniques for dodging and burning..... you will find the best tutorials here in this forum

Dont buy a dvd if you just like to see tutorials.
But buy a dvd if you like to see how other (pro´s) work.

You can trust me.... i saw more then 50 dvd tutorials and produced more then 5 dvd tutorials by myself.
If you do expect the wrong stuff.... you do not help the trainer by buying his dvd.

By the way.... i do not saw the dvd and i do not know Nick.
But who knows.... maybe i will buy the dvd one day... i am very interested in seeing other peoples techniques.
You can always learn new things.
And if i learn only ONE new thing from the complete dvd what helps me a lot.... it was a good deal.

English is not my native language... sorry for the grammar.

lg Calvin
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 09:44 PM

If you go to nick's website you will find nick's forum...
http://www.slickforce.com/forums/sho...=1301#post1301
product still in development...nothing definitive...in beta mode...release March...maybe Nick is still doing marking research to determine what to include and how to sell the product? Alot of prehype..overwhat? Concepts? We are not talking about a final product. Mark III had a lot of prehype. Check Member list..corey is Gold..how surprising. Maybe gonedonechanged has become a promoter to get a better discount..who knows...I hope he likes the product and provides us a wonderful review. For myself, there is so much more I can do with $500. I could even put it toward 50 lessons on the forum with what I consider master retouchers. Right on Cuervo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 10:14 PM

lol.... as I said no one posted anything concrete here. Wow march shipping date... quite allot of time. I say that if you don't have the product ready to ship, don't advertise for it because its vapor ware, PCB got stung for doing this if the DVD's producer isn't careful he'll tarnish his cred.

Good luck to gamedonechanged. I don't think he's a promoter but I do believe he thinks he's going to get extra stuff that he can't find here that is why he's decided on the DVD.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 10:30 PM

I have seen about 4 hours of actual content...and it looked like final release quality to me. I'm sure he's still polishing parts though (c'mon...this is retouching right?) If I understand correctly, basically all the content is released end of this month via download.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2010, 01:12 AM

LOL See, I've been trying to be good on my word and stay OUT of this thread, since Natalia explained to me that advertising is not allowed, so I will only use this response to address a few questions that seem to remain:

While I understand that my beta-testers' comments cannot be unbiased, I hope you can see that they are in fact the only third-party sources of information at this time, so I would simply suggest that you consider them for their unique knowledge rather than assume they are all on my propaganda wagon.

@HLP: It's not me that's adding the VAT tax. That's a default addition from our merchant processor (not Slickforce) for sales originating from German IP addresses. Customers in other European countries have not had this problem, and we are looking into how to have Germany's VAT included in the price, rather than it being automatically added at checkout. I have no intention to charge Germans more.

@Cuervo: As far as shipping date, March 30 is only for the DVDs. The download, which contains identical content, is available Jan 30, and I don't miss deadlines. The DVDs may be ready earlier, but disc mastering, proofing and printing does take time. As Calvin so brilliantly inferred, the series is a culmination of tools and techniques I have used in my career (though I do stand by my belief that the Slickforce technique has not been taught before). While there are many techniques taught in this series, if you're referring to the actual Slickforce Technique, it is a combination of tools, layers, and brush strokes. It is not a one-touch filter of any sort, but becomes so intuitive with time that it is often faster than other comparable methods (and in my opinion, more believable). Furthermore, the scalability of the technique adds to its uniqueness.

In any case, I've been overwhelmed with customer responses via PM (both here at @ Slickforce forum) and e-mails from customers who are genuinely having a rough time in this economy. And I do realize that because this is a pre-order, you are taking a leap of faith by buying my series. Regardless of what side you are on, this economy is not the fault of photographers or retouchers. I've dropped the pre-order price to $299. Customers who have already purchased at the higher price will receive a credit for the difference. (NOTE: You may have to delete cookies and refresh your browser for the new price to appear)

Thanks for your invaluable feedback, support, criticism, and comments. They have all been extremely helpful.

Last edited by Nick Saglimbeni; 01-06-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2010, 06:20 AM

Nick I've looked at your website and like your work...photos and retouching. I know you are very talented and you are doing an excellent job marketing your product. However, and this is my opinion only, I still feel your product is over priced for the market. For your sake, I hope I am wrong, but personally I would not spend $300 on a training video (I have in the past...with success and with disappointment) - the contents would have to be over the top. Most training videos I see are in the $79 to $199 range. Look at the marketing for this product below..I know nothing about them, just a site I recently came upon...selling secrets...nice marketing...more detail of the content...more examples...significantly lower price. So lets say I had $300 and I was comparing your product to this one there would have to be something very special about your product to chose over this one. Again, just my opinion.. the final answer will be revenue at the end of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpEwJzsFJ_g

http://www.photoshoptopsecret.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 AM

I downloaded that a while back, it's a great series although not really comparable to this other than I suppose the actual word 'secret'. That series is basically an end to end look for several projects, how they were done ect... In some cases (the most compelling ones) it's not even that(queue - and heres one I did earlier....) that but overall it's pretty decent.

I don't seem to see your argument, you are on one hand saying it's probably not really anything new to be unveiled and on the other you are saying it's overpriced when compared to other products in the same market. So by that rationale if it were $50 would you not mind spending money on it knowing you will still not be getting any new info? (assuming of course there isn't any new info)

I think the true answer will lie in feedback from users. I know a lot here think those beta testers that have posted are part of Nicks marketing bandwagon but at the end of the day anything you say is only based on assumption so until you actually see the content for itself it's all huff and puff moaning about a price.

And fyi no I was not given a big discount by Nick to say nice things.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2010, 11:10 AM

.......message deleted.....

Last edited by HLP; 01-06-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2010, 11:22 AM

I think Nick has been pretty classy. The price was quite high. At $299 it's getting more manageable.

Obviously it's not for everyone. Maybe all his techniques can be assembled from free snippets across the internet (or not) but sometimes people are in a hurry to get on with their careers and want the info in a practical and easily digestible format.

Don't know about the rest of the country, but in my neck of the woods one university photoshop course costs around $500-600. You do get the interaction with an instructor, but I wouldn't assume them to be of Nick's caliber.

Game, I'm glad you're diving in so you can review this for the rest of us.

Nick, I hope your full release price will be affordable. I think you'd move a lot of these at $200 and with less hostility in the marketplace.

Be nice everyone, it's only Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2010, 04:26 PM

Talking Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
I think Nick has been pretty classy. The price was quite high. At $299 it's getting more manageable.

Obviously it's not for everyone. Maybe all his techniques can be assembled from free snippets across the internet (or not) but sometimes people are in a hurry to get on with their careers and want the info in a practical and easily digestible format.

Don't know about the rest of the country, but in my neck of the woods one university photoshop course costs around $500-600. You do get the interaction with an instructor, but I wouldn't assume them to be of Nick's caliber.

Game, I'm glad you're diving in so you can review this for the rest of us.

Nick, I hope your full release price will be affordable. I think you'd move a lot of these at $200 and with less hostility in the marketplace.

Be nice everyone, it's only Photoshop.
Cheeky. But worth a try lol
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching