RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:09 PM

Re: Mastering Retouching DVD by Nick Saglimbeni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedonechanged View Post
Cheeky. But worth a try lol
grin

Like all of us, I ultimately would love to know everything there is to know about PS and retouching. But truth be told, Glamor photography is not my specialty or primary concern. If it were I'd be more inclined to pay "whatever," to advance my career, but as a side interest I need to be more judicious with how I spend my money.

It's like anything else, the seller needs to decide how he wants to position himself in the marketplace. Some people will be attracted to a quality product at a high price and a certain level of exclusivity (think any luxury good), but if they lower the price, it broadens the market to many more potential buyers.

Personally, I've never wanted to compete at the bottom of the market with the cheapest price, so I understand completely if Nick wants to position himself at the top of the market.

One has to run some numbers and determine what price point best represents their brand, and how broad a market on wants to reach. I get it that Nick's techniques are applicable to any type of retouching, but the price is not applicable to any type of retoucher. He has to decide who he wants his market base to consist of (all working glamor pros and wannabees, vs anyone with a significant interest in retouching) and price accordingly.

I just speak for myself as a professional photographer with a significant interest in retouching, but someone who is not convinced this will advance my skills appreciably. $200 is a justifiable risk to me, $500+ is not.

But Nick seems like a good guy and a smart cat whichever way he goes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Patron

Nick, I think Flashtones has articulated very well the question that many potential buyers are asking themselves: What is the Quid Pro Quo in your product offering and is it worth it?
I could purchase your product but will not consider purchasing it because the product information you have provided falls way way short of my expectations and probably most other potential buyers.
If you would like to see what I would consider the benchmark and world class (product info), check out the link below. It is a 7 hours of video training by Chris Orwig titled Photoshop CS4 Retouching: Fashion Photography which is offered on Lynda.com. The outline shows the content and run length of almost 100 videos covered in the 7 hours. You, and anyone else can select and view up to any 10 of those videos for free before the server will ask you to sign up. Chris has also produced a 20+ hour video series on Lynda.com titled Photoshop CS4 Retouching Essential Training. You can view the list of >100 topics and also view complete video samples. In other words you get a really good feel for what you are buying, the skill level it's aimed at, and have a good sense of whether you will get your money's worth.
For your information, a one month subscription to the entire Lynda.com 440,000 video library is only $25 and customers are only obligated to one month at a time. That means for $25 you can enjoy the 28 hours of Chris' training noted above.
David Cuerdon, has just released a Retouching DVD for $59. He is well known in the industry and is well acredited.
These are some of the competitive forces you are up against.
I do not expect that all of these retouching trainings should be under $100. I have purchased some that were more expensive and have attended live sessions that cost a lot more. I have no pre-judgement of your offering but I would definitely not consider buying it given the minimal product information you have provided. Here is the link -
http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=46312
I do wish you luck with your sales.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2010, 04:06 AM

Thanks for the links MM. Although I just had a look at the David Cuerdon DVD and there doesn't seem to be any information at all other than a few paragraphs and a picture of the DVD cover.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2010, 09:31 AM

gamedonechanged: I found this link with samples and list of chapters (and their lenghts) from David Cuerdon's DVD: http://www.kelbytraining.com/player/index.html#149 (just basic stuff I think... but $59 is really a good price).

BTW, I just found this tutorials which are more interesting and are for free:
http://nienna1990.deviantart.com/journal/
You can learn how to retouch like this and you don't have to rob a bank: http://nienna1990.deviantart.com/gallery/

Anyway, I like Nick's work, but I would like to know more about his DVD. At least list of chapters of all the lessons and some before/after pics.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Patron

Hi Gamechanged, this link will take you to a chapter by chapter index of what is on the 3 hour DVD. There is a button to click to see an introduction and description by David Cuerdon. There are discounts available off the $69 list price. If you are a member of NAPP, the special membership price is $34.99
Here is the Kelby link I mentioned abobe.
http://www.kelbytraining.com/instruc...d-cuerdon.html
If you are interested in the National Association of Photoshop Professionals, you can visit www.photoshopuser.com
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2010, 10:13 AM

mistermonday, I'm seeing $54.99 for members. Is there a code to get it for less?

http://www.kelbytraining.com/product...ching-kit.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Patron

Hi Flashtones, are you a registered member of NAPP? If you are, please send me a PM
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2010, 05:50 PM

Thanks, Murray. I'm not a member, but I'm thinking of joining if the discounts add up. Do you find it a good value?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Patron

Hi Flashtones. For members, there is a 15% discount on all Adobe products. There are discounts on all of the popular new releass of image editing s/w & plugins. For example Topaz recently offered it latest bundle (7 Topaz products) for a 60% discount to members. Same on training material etc. So in my case, the discounts more than recovered the membership fee. If you tend to buy this stuff, the ROI is very good.
The Photoshop User magazine, now available electronically (Zinio Reader) as well as in printed form, is full of good reading, keeps you up to date on new product releases and industry events and is $16.95 per copy on the newstand. For many people, the magazine alone is worth the membership cost.
3rd party s/w and service providers (print houses), hardware vendors, etc view the NAPP community as a great source for new customers and feedback on new products. As such they offer discounts to attract them.
For the beginner and intermediate Photoshopper, there is a rather substantial library of video and pdf tutorials.
There is a help desk to ask simple and complex PS questions and you will always recv a response.
The NAPP staff also put up a ton of info and video help as soon as the latest version of Photoshop is released.
Members can have exposure to people and events in the industry that they might not otherwise have.
"Should I be a NAPP member" is a question that comes up on many forums. Like everything else some people find value while others determine that they do not need the services, knowledge, or discounts.
You need to check out their site and feel free to ask the NAPP staff any questions. You should be able to get a good feel if the $99 membership is of value to you.
Regards, Murray

Last edited by mistermonday; 01-07-2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: inserted several missing words
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2010, 09:29 AM

Thanks, MM, It's probably about time I give NAPP a shot, especially with updates to Photoshop and Lightroom around the corner.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching