RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How is this color effect done?

Old 12-27-2009, 05:22 PM

Smile Re: How is this color effect done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMac View Post
I am totally in love with this look

http://fashiongonerogue.com/2009/12/...us/#more-17165

I have been trying to figure it out. I am pretty new to photoshop so I would like some help.

I think color solarization is part of it but if anyone could give me some guidance I would be grateful

Best,
Alex

alexmacpherson.com
hi alex. i am a big fan of their work. you see this look around a lot in the recent years (some steven klein, miles aldridge, rene & radka, camilla akrans...) although MM were probably among the first ones to involve that much postprocessing in fashion editorial work in general when they started as far as I know. anyways, my opinion is that its on the contrary a LOT of selective work where various parts of the styling and accessories, skin, hair, environment and background are masked separatelly and toned, carefully airbrushed to get rid of distracting details, you maybe also see that the model is seemingly more contrasty than her surroundings, her outfit is probably slightly lightened, while the blacks and highlights of the rest of the scene are much less emphasized and less rich in detail. the final grading shifts black into dark blue, there are several things you can utilize for this, from blending modes (lighten, screen..) or Selective color (blacks), calculations, channels...

as far as i remember some of their post is done at Box. this, apart from the output and clientlist itself, means you shouldnt expect to have it done in a couple of minutes using a one-click solution :o)

just my opinion, hope it helps somehow!
A.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2009, 08:40 PM

Re: How is this color effect done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bartas View Post
hi alex. i am a big fan of their work. you see this look around a lot in the recent years (some steven klein, miles aldridge, rene & radka, camilla akrans...) although MM were probably among the first ones to involve that much postprocessing in fashion editorial work in general when they started as far as I know. anyways, my opinion is that its on the contrary a LOT of selective work where various parts of the styling and accessories, skin, hair, environment and background are masked separatelly and toned, carefully airbrushed to get rid of distracting details, you maybe also see that the model is seemingly more contrasty than her surroundings, her outfit is probably slightly lightened, while the blacks and highlights of the rest of the scene are much less emphasized and less rich in detail. the final grading shifts black into dark blue, there are several things you can utilize for this, from blending modes (lighten, screen..) or Selective color (blacks), calculations, channels...

as far as i remember some of their post is done at Box. this, apart from the output and clientlist itself, means you shouldnt expect to have it done in a couple of minutes using a one-click solution :o)

just my opinion, hope it helps somehow!
A.
Thanks Adam. I appreciate your reply. Yes ... I know that MM have the good people at Box to thank for their look. I know that it is not as simple as one thing but the replies here have helped me get started.

I am a photographer and I am looking to get more tools in the toolbox for working on my photos. In the past , I have relied on photoshop plug-ins but
I am no longer satisfied with that level of work.

Is there anything you would recommend to get my skills up in this particular area?

Thanks in advance

Alex
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2009, 08:21 AM

Re: How is this color effect done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMac View Post
Thanks Adam. I appreciate your reply. Yes ... I know that MM have the good people at Box to thank for their look. I know that it is not as simple as one thing but the replies here have helped me get started.

I am a photographer and I am looking to get more tools in the toolbox for working on my photos. In the past , I have relied on photoshop plug-ins but
I am no longer satisfied with that level of work.

Is there anything you would recommend to get my skills up in this particular area?

Thanks in advance

Alex
You should get familiar with masks, channel masking and path tools etc to begin with, I think there are thousands of people capable of doing this technically, to create all the masks and tweak the colors, but it mainly requires the talent and genius to choose the right tones and combine them well, which most people cant (I dont ), and thats what you pay for :o)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching