RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How is this color effect done?

Old 12-26-2009, 06:27 PM

How is this color effect done?

I am totally in love with this look

http://fashiongonerogue.com/2009/12/...us/#more-17165

I have been trying to figure it out. I am pretty new to photoshop so I would like some help.

I think color solarization is part of it but if anyone could give me some guidance I would be grateful

Best,
Alex

alexmacpherson.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2009, 06:43 PM

Re: How is this color effect done?

The reds and greens are clipped in the black parts, but the blues are reduced.
To achieve this, you have to create a new Levels adjustment layer, click on Red-channel and take the black triangle to the beginning of the big mountain (the beginning of the histogram). Do the same for the Green-channel.
Now move on to the Blue-channel and reduce the output of the blacks using the output sliders and rise it until your satisfied with the results.

Furthermore there are no real whites so either start with an underexposed image or use the white output slider on the composite (RGB) to reduce the whites.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2009, 07:45 PM

So with the blue channel do you move the black triangle? Or is it just the output slider?

Do you think there is any masking on the skin. I am having trouble making it look right.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMac View Post
I am totally in love with this look

http://fashiongonerogue.com/2009/12/...us/#more-17165

I have been trying to figure it out. I am pretty new to photoshop so I would like some help.

I think color solarization is part of it but if anyone could give me some guidance I would be grateful

Best,
Alex

alexmacpherson.com
Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, have fun!

If you post an image that you would like to transform it might help determine a procedure to accomplish the "Look"

If you use Photoshop you can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop as described here:
Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads:
(Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread, but also please attach an under 100K version (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links).
Other Hosts if you do not have your own site:
ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) photobucket.com (1 Meg max free, 5 Meg PRO) mediafire.com (100 Meg per file, free) post a link in the thread to the site that is hosting the larger image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2009, 08:24 PM

Here is the photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laetitiacastacoverstory1.jpg (98.5 KB, 134 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Patron

Sorry I was unclear!.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FAQs
What about Copyrights and Likeness Rights?
This isn't a legal guide, just a brief summary about posting here. We aim to follow United States copyright and likeness rights laws, and it's your responsibility to make sure your uploaded images are within those laws. If in doubt, check http://www.copyright.gov.
Copyrighted images cannot be posted without explicit permission from the copyright owner. "Someone put it up on the web" does NOT count as explicit permission.

Public domain images can be posted (this usually means at least 70 years old, or formally released into the public domain by the copyright owner) assuming you have permission of anyone recognizable in the image (or their estate if they have been dead less than 50 years).

Images you own can be posted by you if you have permission of anyone recognizable in the image. Posting your image here does not mean you surrender copyright, but it does mean you give permission for other users to retouch the image and upload here, unless you explicitly state otherwise at the time of uploading.

Images you don't own can be posted if permission is explicitly given by both the owner of the image and any recognizable person in the image.

Celebrity images or random images from Google or anywhere else on the internet cannot be posted unless explicit permission from both the photographer and the subject has been obtained.

Changing a copyrighted image in any way does not remove it from copyright.

Pieces of copyrighted images, no matter how small, retain their copyright and all the same rules apply.

"Fair use" and parody protection are problematic to define, but to be safe lets assume neither apply here.

You are responsible for obtaining any necessary permissions for images you upload, and you are liable should anyone choose to enforce their copyright or likeness rights.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I meant a photo that you are working or want to work on to try and get that look... not post the copyrighted picture you want to emulate.. that picture is fine working as a link so as not to infringe on the copyright... If you click the edit block at the bottom of the post with the picture you can delete the copyrighted image..
then post a picture of your own that you want to make look like the other image
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2009, 08:46 PM

aye carumba ... it's a magazine photo that is posted in public blogs and in the magazine's website itself. I would consider that fair use in the public domain. It is editorial content.

maybe i should ask where people are less uptight...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2009, 09:19 PM

What OlBaldy is trying to tell you is not everybody has every technique ready to go in their back pocket, but if you post an image of your own for them to play with they will try to reverse engineer a solution, and post the results for you to see. But they will be less inclined to work on images you/they have no rights to, and they certainly wont post the results. So if you want people to help you make it easy for them to do so.

----

Try this for a down and dirty starting point.

Open an image with plenty of dark tones.
Add a Select Color adj layer.
At the top there is a pull-down menu that defaults to Reds. Pull down to Blacks. Set Cyan to +50, Magenta to +50, and Yellow to -20.
Then use the pull-down menu to go to Neutrals and set Magenta to +3, Yellow to -12 and Black to +5.
If your image has reds in it, like the mattress in the shot you posted, use the pull-down to go to Reds and go -30 Cyan.
You get the idea, season to taste.

Obviously the above recipe is only meant to put you in the ballpark; how close it gets you depends on your original image.

If you post a legal image for us to work with we might be able to do better.

Last edited by Flashtones; 12-26-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Patron

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate" K?

Aside from passing on some information contained in our FAQs, I also tried to address your query.

If you post an image that you would like to transform (not the one you are trying to emulate) it might help determine a procedure to accomplish the "Look"..
What I was trying to determine is ..are you trying to get the look from an outside shot with heavy shadows or a studio shot with a similar lighting setup.. a different approach would be needed for each situation

Do you have "a photo that you are working on or want to work on to try and get that look..." If so, could you post it..

maybe my English or communication skills are not so good, but there may be others here who could probably help you in your quest..
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2009, 05:17 AM

In the reds and greens move the black triangle, in the blues move the output slider.
Selected the skin and checked the histogram, I don't think there was a lot of masking involved.

Anyways, a picture of yours should help to achieve this look in faster time.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching