RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The skin in my edits looks pasty and grey

Old 12-29-2009, 02:42 PM

Re: The skin in my edits looks pasty and grey

I don't know about that technique it kind of sounds like the degrunge but you do this on one layer not 2
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213 (if you have trouble accesing it just log out of the forum)

LOL didn't know you did the retouch on the flickr one as well... Well as you can see you don't need to blur the skin all the time you just have to judge what parts of the portrait need retouch..
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
That would work ok, I did a color shift, color cast.
I'm not familiar with those tools, but if the sat hue thing works okay, then that's fine...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
I don't know about that technique it kind of sounds like the degrunge but you do this on one layer not 2
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213 (if you have trouble accesing it just log out of the forum)

LOL didn't know you did the retouch on the flickr one as well... Well as you can see you don't need to blur the skin all the time you just have to judge what parts of the portrait need retouch..
That tutorial looks fantastic. A kind of refinement on the tutorial I was following. I am printing it off as I type, and will do it right now. Thank you!

Not sure what you mean by "you don't need to blur the skin all the time you just have to judge what parts of the portrait need retouch.." but I will do the tutorial, and hopefully have a better idea afterwards.

Thank you so much for that link...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2009, 07:52 AM

What I meant with that line is that you don't always have to blur all of the skin or use the technique on all of the skin. There will be times that just adding a technique to a certain part of the skin will "heal" it enough that you don't have to do it everywhere.

With the degrunge technique use a low opacity brush on the mask about 20% (play with the final value) if you over do it you'll end up with pasty looking skin. Also do the technique with different values and experiment in working with more than one layer of the technique together to get different looks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
What I meant with that line is that you don't always have to blur all of the skin or use the technique on all of the skin. There will be times that just adding a technique to a certain part of the skin will "heal" it enough that you don't have to do it everywhere.

With the degrunge technique use a low opacity brush on the mask about 20% (play with the final value) if you over do it you'll end up with pasty looking skin. Also do the technique with different values and experiment in working with more than one layer of the technique together to get different looks.
Thank you very much indeed for explaining.... I will do the tutorial again, trying to incorporate your suggestions.

Now, another thing..... In the tutorial he talks about making a duplicate layer and then running the High-pass filter on it. "Look for a radius where the details are visible but the grunge has disappeared." By grunge I think he means blotchiness. I found this really difficult to work out. With regard to the attached image, I wondered what High pass filter radius other people might choose, in order to remove the "grunge".... (It would really help me to get a better idea of what I am looking for, if I know how other people are approaching it....)

LATER ADD : No - how silly of me. Please ignore the above para. We are given excellent guidelines for doing this in the tutorial.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RTP-GIRL-BLUE-BOBBLE-DRESS.jpg (94.1 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Canna W; 12-31-2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Made a stupid request and wanted to cancel it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2009, 09:15 AM

I'm glad to see this topic being discussed as it is similar to some concerns I have.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2009, 10:17 AM

Look, as I said... Sometimes less is more specially for candids. This image just has a bit of healing, curves layers for the eyes and lips, desaturation via channel mixer, sharpening via they apply image technique (like high pass only better) http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=439098 here is how to do it. after that a very mild d&b treatment for the lines on the left of the photo under the cheek, then a color layer to take out the grays the d&b adds. Everything took about 15 mins more or less.

Sorry I had to crop the photo because the forum only accepts 100kb size images so this was the quickest way to do it without compromising the quality of the image...

Now going back to what value you add, go by multiples of 3 depending on the size of your original you'll have to vary the value. I work normally with 8 megapixel photos so I usually start at 15, to be honest I haven't tried values higher than this BUT I do recommend you do it to see what happens. The most important part of techniques is to understand what they do so experimentation is key...

Also remember you're retouching images that have a certain look to them, most of them are candid shots. If you over process them they'll look out of place, the degrunge technique has its uses, as well as D&B. You'll have to judge what to use and how much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Retouch.jpg (74.3 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Cuervo79; 12-31-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I'm glad to see this topic being discussed as it is similar to some concerns I have.
Glad I'm not the only one Harry!

Quote:
Look, as I said... Sometimes less is more specially for candids......

Also remember you're retouching images that have a certain look to them, most of them are candid shots. If you over process them they'll look out of place, the degrunge technique has its uses, as well as D&B. You'll have to judge what to use and how much.
I really have picked up what you say about the idea of pix needing to be approached according to what sort of character they have! It's like suddenly the scales have fallen from my eyes! Yes...indeed.... The girl next door photographed on the hoof is not the same as the model in a studio photographed with a big camera, or the restoration you are trying to do of someone in an old photograph. That is really, really helpful. Thank you.
Quote:
sharpening via they apply image technique (like high pass only better) http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=439098 here is how to do it.
I did the alternative sharpening process you recommended. I think I need to practice it some more... The science is way over my head, but his instructions are clear, and easy to follow.

Quote:
Now going back to what value you add, go by multiples of 3 depending on the size of your original you'll have to vary the value. I work normally with 8 megapixel photos so I usually start at 15, to be honest I haven't tried values higher than this BUT I do recommend you do it to see what happens. The most important part of techniques is to understand what they do so experimentation is key...
Are you referring here to the tutorial link you gave me - where he talks about running a high pass filter?

Quote:
This image just has a bit of healing, curves layers for the eyes and lips, desaturation via channel mixer, sharpening via they apply image technique (like high pass only better) http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=439098 here is how to do it. after that a very mild d&b treatment for the lines on the left of the photo under the cheek, then a color layer to take out the grays the d&b adds. Everything took about 15 mins more or less.
Yes, I really like the result. You mention a couple of techniques I am unfamiliar with, but I will google for more info. I can see how I could do it in ways which were sort of an equivalent to what you did. Most of all I like the freshness and naturalness of the girl. I've done one edit of her which is ludicrously overworked (in terms of what you have said about naturalness for candids.) I will have another go, and try and downplay a lot of what I did.

Thank you so much for your time and help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2009, 03:35 PM

When I spoke about multiples of 3 I was reffering to the degrunge technique, if you read it it uses the highpass filter first at an X value, then you use gaussian blur at 1/3 the value (hence working in multiples of 3) invert and then select linear light in the layer's blending options...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2009, 05:12 PM

Ah yes, I understand, thank you!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching