RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What makes a good website?

Old 12-31-2009, 10:22 AM

Re: What makes a good website?

Are you selling albums or your photography work? If I wanted to listen to music I would go to itunes or pandora, not a photographers website. No offense, but music on a website sucks. Its always cheesy, its always some dumb song, and it is one of the most cliche things you can have. My take is that if you want someone to look at your work, dont shove your choice of generic pop crap down there throat, if that be the case, why not just have some non pertinent gimmicks also, like some annoying preloader, or boing or swoosh noises as they move the cursor around the site as well, and why not just fill your galleries with generic mundane stock shots of sunsets too. Its not about the ability to turn it down or off either, who cares if I have that option, the point is that that is not what I was expecting when I went to your site. Its like this, I go to some other website, and I get a popup ad, one of the most annoying things invented, sure I can click it closed, but its still was there, I didnt want it, and now im annoyed, I dont care if its a popup telling me i won a new private jet.

Show your work big as you can if it holds up and youre good. why waste the real estate?

Last edited by garibaldi; 12-31-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2009, 10:31 AM

LOL Garibaldi don't bite the head off anyone dude!!! He's right (meaning Garibaldi) though about the music...

Regarding the imge size, google for the most used resolutions, pick one and then make a design that can be adaptive from the resolution you picked and down.

Last edited by Cuervo79; 12-31-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2009, 10:49 AM

hahaha no biting, sorry if it sounds harsh. but i just never understand why thats always the topic that comes up with people and sites. Like thats the cherry on top. Its like opting for the gold package when your buying a car, it serves no purpose, looks like crap and will make people think "jeez, why did they put all that gold all over the place?" youd be better off opting for some floor mats and a navigation system instead ;-)

You have to admit though, as blatant as I may have put it, what happens when you have gone to a site and suddenly music fires up? Have you ever been like, oh goodie!!! and turned up your sound, dimmed the lights, lit a candle, poured a glass of wine , put on a comfy robe and slippers and curled up for the experience? or have you either smacked the mute, and then immediately after that started hunting for the little icon to shut it off.... if you were still there at all? Point is that theres a prime example of a first time visitor to your site not spending the first 10 seconds being wowed or drawn into what you do, but instead more likely looking for a way to silence whatever choice of mucic you felt really enhanced the "feel" of your images.

Its all good, sorry if I came across brash, its just my opinion;-) But if you are going to do music, might I suggest Micahel Bolton, or Annie difranco, or Enya, anything that really makes you want to drape a noose over a limb and give it a tug to make sure its tight? lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2009, 10:55 AM

anyway sorry if got off topic, de5, as for your mockup. i think the images shoudl be larger, the green may be not fitting, neutrals are usually better. havent seen any of your work either so have no clue what your stuff is like. and i think the scribble scrabble is subliminally sloppy and would kind of say the opposite of what you do if you are a clean tight retoucher
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2009, 11:20 AM

garibaldi - sometimes music is ok, but it have to have a good mood, and has volume down, so it doesnt shout from speakers when You open the page.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2009, 11:27 AM

NO Garibaldi's right about the music, I normally surf while having music on or playinig a dvd on the other monitor, and I hate when another music just pops up, specially if I have the volume UP... So for me NO MUSIC on web pages
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibaldi View Post
anyway sorry if got off topic, de5, as for your mockup. i think the images shoudl be larger, the green may be not fitting, neutrals are usually better. havent seen any of your work either so have no clue what your stuff is like. and i think the scribble scrabble is subliminally sloppy and would kind of say the opposite of what you do if you are a clean tight retoucher
Thanks for the feedback.

Here is some of my work:
www.modelmayhem.com/de5m0mike
www.coroflot.com/de5m0mike

And for the record. I was never even considering putting music on my site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2010, 06:49 AM

what's the big deal about having music?... imo it can be cool if chosen well & so long as there's an option to turn it off then what's the prob!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2010, 01:02 PM

I just updated my site with a new design. I think I like this better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2010, 03:38 PM

quick comment Mike - without reviewing everything, that starburst really screams cheese!
--Shift Studio.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching