RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What makes a good website?

Old 12-29-2009, 06:50 PM

What makes a good website?

I don't know if this topic belongs in here or not but here goes anyway. I'm in the process of designing a website to feature my retouching/photoshop work. In the future I may add sections for photography and design work as well but for now it's just going to be the retouching that I've done. What would you guys want to see in a website?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2009, 10:40 PM

Re: What makes a good website?

No music. Simple, clean, and fast. I say stay away from gimmicky crap unless your work sucks and you need help from stuff like that ;-) I think its best to just get to the point and make it easy for people to see what you do and get in touch with you
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2009, 02:32 AM

What garibaldy said, specially the "get in touch with you part" if you can put your contact link information on all your pages. Also go by the motto "3 click access" this means that you can access anything on your site with just 3 clicks or less. Also STAY AWAY from the designs that physically de-maximize a window and then re-size it again but not maximized. I can't stand those kinds of pages, if it happens I just close it and move on...
O yeah and I would lose an intro page, some people have intro pages that let's the person entering the site to go to their main page, their blog, or another option. I find that if you do that people won't see your work. Imagine if someone's looking for your blog (if you have one) and then they get to your URL and through the intro page skip your main page and go directly to your blog, they have skipped an opportunity to skim through your main work and in essence you've lost a potential client.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2009, 08:05 AM

Have a master menu at the top of each page so any page is accessible from any other.

I prefer to open my images in a second window, which lets the full gallery page remain active throughout.

Don't make them guess. They probably don't care enough to decipher a puzzle. Let them know immediately how to get to what they want to see, and allow them to get there effortlessly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2009, 11:57 AM

Ok, here's a more specific question. How large should the preview images be? For me, it's kind of annoying to think of scaling an image down to 600px so it will fit on the web page only to loose all that skin detail that I spent so much time trying to preserve in my retouching. Should I go larger or keep them small and add a link to download a full hirez version of the image in a new window. Or I could add a couple more thumbnails next to the image that swap out the main image to detail portions of the image.

Also, do you prefer having a mouse over to see the before and after or would you rather have a button to toggle back and forth between the two?

Thanks again for the input.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2009, 01:07 PM

I would suggest functionality to show oryginal/retouched one, and ability to zoom in to see fine details.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2009, 03:30 PM

Photographs are an emotional buy - so I feel you should touch
all of them as best as a website can - so I like the music if appropriate
to the theme. Turn it down if you don't want to listen to it. I also want to
see large quality images and quickly get a feel for what the photographer does.
I purchased a website template from Bluedomain.com.
It draws an average of only 2 people a day. It seems to load too slow and has not brought me business like I hoped it would - although I get lots of compliments on it.
I kindof gave up on the blog. They seem so complicated and frusterating.

www.Ingoldphotography.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2009, 03:45 PM

Ok, so obviously the site is not up and functioning yet, but here is a preview of what I am thinking for the layout. I'm not sure I like it though.

www.mdgannon.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2009, 04:26 PM

www.Ingoldphotography.com has been up and running for two years
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2009, 08:22 PM

Navigation is key. Have a link to the home page on every page or customer will get frustrated trying to get back and just close the window. Also, can the music. What you think is hip, is annoying to others and vice versa.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching