RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to achieve this effect?

Old 01-02-2010, 11:34 PM

How to achieve this effect?

I have really enjoyed looking at everyone's work here and learning some new things, but I still haven't quite found how to make my pictures look like these:

http://www.skyejohansen.com/

I absolutely LOVE Skye's pictures and love the brightness in their skin. Do you think this has a lot to do with her lighting, or mostly just photoshop? I have studio lighting, and I haven't figured out how she only uses one light to get such nice light. (Or is it not just one, I am just guessing because there's only one catch light in their eyes.)

Anyway, does anyone have any advice for good work flow to achieve this smooth, bright skin, or any tutorials to point me to? I've looked at so many different posts that if I had seen something I wouldn't remember where to find it.

Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2010, 03:57 PM

Re: How to achieve this effect?

Anyone? Do you think part of it is a curves layer?

What do you think of the curves adjustment they did in this tutorial?

http://www.dphotojournal.com/photosh...y-bw-portrait/

I was playing with that on a few of my pictures and I think it got closer, but does anyone have any other suggestions? (doesn't have to be to the extent of professional beauty type editing)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Patron

Looks like highkey processing and toning were done. So many ways to do all of these that I'm relunctant to pass links, but the GIMP link below may be of some help.

http://www.gimpguru.org/Tutorials/SampleToning/

For Highkey, I just did a search and found this article (like I said; many ways, but this one looked cool and pretty much applies to GIMP too (but is PS centric).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16712...us.html?tk=rss
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2010, 04:18 PM

My first thought was that a channel mixer adjustment layer was used with the "Monochrome"-box checked and the red channel brought up to 100%. That in "Luminosity"-mode along with some "Filter"-"Blur"-"Surface Blur" should do the trick.
Maybe the skin was masked as well and the blues were cut off in the highlights to achieve this yellowish look?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2010, 06:09 PM

I agree with lkroll about shooting high key.
  1. Start with a good quality image, and shot with a large aperture to blur out the background.
  2. Shoot a high key style image. Slightly Warm tone white balance.
  3. Sharpen, but not to much.
  4. Selectively adjust select colors.
  5. Add a curves layer
Red: 32,0 255,255
Green:15,0 245,255
Blue: 36,0 216,255
The curves layer will work with the current little boy picture . Further analysis showed this curves arrangement to be a basis for the photographers Sepia images. Below is what the curves layer should look like. I know the picture below is not high key, but that is an example of the effect.

[Edit*] Looking even further back at the the her work, you can see an evolution of her style. Even the curves layer started out simple. Her original sepia's were just a simple curves blue dragged from the center. It wasnt but, im guessing, 50 sessions ago that she started using this new more advanced curves.

Hope it helps,
-Keven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curves Ex.jpg (75.1 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg KA3_2441-ED-Sepia.jpg (90.0 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by igot2pman; 01-04-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2010, 10:18 AM

Wow, thanks for all your help! I wouldn't have figured out the color curves adjustment myself. I will play with my photos and see what I can come up with! I'll re-post one if I can get it to look good and see what you think.

Thanks again for everyone's advice!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2010, 10:41 AM

Post what you come up with, always good to see where all of our advice is going.

-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2010, 11:59 AM

Due to the slightly blown out areas, I would agree a high key technique was used using various layers for certain areas of the image. Another simple method that I could suggest for those that have Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0, this type of look can be obtained by using the high key filter layered about 60 to 65% above the original image with a saturation adjustment after combining the two. The settings would vary with the image of course.
Although it's rather apparent the photographs and lighting of the web site photographs certainly contribute to the end result of the images, I was able to come close with minimal effort using the Nik filters.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2010, 02:02 PM

Here's my try using igot2pman's curve adjustment suggestions, plus a curve adjustment to brighten it a little. What do you think? Does it work? I think it got the same color feel. Mostly I just wanted to get the high-key (ish) feel, with brighter skin, but I think this was fun. I'll have to try it out with some of my studio pictures to see if they can look more like her work.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...lliams/1-5.jpg

Hope the link works.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2010, 03:56 PM

How about the sepia? It looks totally different from when I've used actions to do sepia on my pics.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching