RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How much time do you need to retouch one photo?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:39 AM

Re: How much time do you need to retouch one photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
Here's an example:
http://www.marieclaire.com/cm/mariec...ories-1-de.jpg
That's your average everyday fashion editorial assignment. That print went to client's creatives who made notes requesting detailed retouching. Then, when it came back to the photog/retoucher, all he had to do is the small changes that the client wanted. Liquify this and that. Match the color of the lips and the purse, make the sweater more purple. BAM, done. Bikini line, clean it.. BAM! That's it.

That is a well lit, well posed, well produced photo of the right model with the right makeup and the right clothes. I would never imagine a client asking to change her hairstyle in photoshop (although we should be able to face such request).

Real world photoshop for fashion photography is very different than what we pursue in retouching as a hobby. One thing is to sell yourself as a fashion retoucher through amazing pieces of art for your personal website, and another one is to have made it and work in the real world where there just isn't enough time to take 20 hours per photo.
Agree with this new statement. However, I guess an addvertisement always wants to show the best of the best of an image, and that's not something that can be made in less than 3 hours, same as GodMother said. I have never had to extract the best of different shots of the same subject and make a comp of that (just 1 time), but that's also used and it cannot be done just in few minutes. If I would be a company and want to stand out with advertisements and someone tells me they will do it in 3 hours, I personally will look for another retoucher. However, the example you showed looks quite easy, and mostly when the picture already comes with the instructions.

Probably, a real world retouch isn't as absolute as you state it and that misunderstanding is generating the discussion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 04:23 AM

First of all thank you for all your answers. But I didn't get the answer to my question.
I'll try to explain another way.
I'm not asking for what type of clients you retouch photos. Imagine that you need to retouch this photo to show your best skills. There are no time limits. There's only this shot, you don't have other similar shots to comp together the model. It's up to you to decide what to retouch (skin, hair, colors, background etc.). You just need to show your best of what you can do with this photo.
If it's not very difficult for you write please what would you retouch and how much would it take.
Of course I understand that this photo doesn't look super professional, but that's the only photo I have with me now to show you as the example.
To see the full size picture you can download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/imj2ohmakwj/IMG_9258.JPG
Thank you!

Last edited by anka; 01-05-2010 at 04:43 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 04:26 AM

Oh man, rapidshare is so slow... You should try mediafire.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 04:32 AM

Remember that each perosn has a different point of view about what's perfection. this image would take me 8-10 hours max to achieve my view of perfection based in my experience. I think I would be around 3 hours in the hair around 4 in the dress and the remaining in the skin and color.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Remember that each perosn has a different point of view about what's perfection.
Yeah, I understand that.

Quote:
Oh man, rapidshare is so slow... You should try mediafire.com
Thank you! I didn't know about mediafire. Good stuff!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
That's what i said. Someone said 20 hours per photo is normal. I said that, if someone at the studio took 20 hours per photo for fashion photography, he'd be fired and/or laughed at.

2-3 hours is ok.
Damn, I'm happy I don't work at your studio then. If you're talking for a picture that needs to run in an ad campaign, with perfect skin and color matched to the products, I'd LOVE to see you do that in 2-3 hours.

If you're talking no skin care, sure it gets less.

I don't really do bulk images, all we do is advertising stuff, so you do 8 images for 1 campaign and we do MASSIVE ammounts of comping and weird stuff. Lately we've been doing loads of illustration style things, so I'm drawing lots, which is great.

Oh and Quantum, what I meant was straight up color correction is just matching something to the real world, whereas doing a treatment can be anything. Make it look like a comic book, make it look like it's a different color, make it look whatever. That's what I meant.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the clarification, DJSoulglo. Do you have a port or something? I'm interested in looking what you do, or your company, want to update my brain a bit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 08:42 AM

180amsterdam.com

or check out these 2 campaigns that are quite recent:

http://www.behance.net/Gallery/adidas-The-Spark/263298

and

http://www.behance.net/Gallery/Every...eds____/319259

or just have a look at adidas.com/football
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
GO! Argentina!

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 09:19 AM

Messi!!!

See, thats another great example that shows the difference between the use of photoshop as a tool in graphic design and it's use in fashion photography that stays 80% photography.

I, for one, am completely useless in that extremely creative aspect of design. Unless a creative tells me what to do, i wouldn't know where to start. I envy graphic designers (especially advertisement) and that's why I humbly decided to stay in photography.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching