RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Studio extreme retouch

Old 01-05-2010, 03:04 PM

Studio extreme retouch

Click to enlarge
http://i.imgur.com/UtP1tl.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2010, 07:02 AM

Re: Studio extreme retouch

Sorry, i put the wrong version

http://i.imgur.com/UtP1t.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 02:34 PM

wow guys, stop the feedback...
this topic can be closed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 06:36 PM

Ummm. What is it that you want? Us to guess what you want? Ok, ill take my guess. You have posted a photo in 2 versions. One is dirty, the other one is retouched (not extreme). My guess is you want critique.

1 Hair. Still some of it needs to be cleaned. Even on the retouched, there are parts of it that have a purplish hue...

2 Skin... ur only halfway there with the skin. Needs a lot more D&B, and im not saying it needs to look softer (she has a good skin to begin with). There are wrinkles that follow the line of her smile, they are a bit distracting. Everyone has them... in this case, they have been boosted by the way she has been lit. It is very hard to do proper dodging and burning when you are dealing with JPEG artifacts. I hate them. I don't know if those artifacts show only on the version u uploaded or if your original image was like that. I you started with a crappy jpeg, i would try to get rid of the artifacts first.

3 Facial hair. Again, everybody has it. Some models take care of it before the shoot, some others don't. What u gonna do huh... well, d&b it

4 Liquify. I see what you have done there. I only liquify people when i am looking for a specific composition correction, as in , facial simetry, oversized parts... all other cases i consider unnecesary. I do know that, when not asked to liquify and when it is not needed, one tends to use it on any image just for the sake of it "to not break the regular workflow". It's also good practice. See, there are some Amy Dresser fully layered PSD files out there. See what she liquifies, and you will immediately understand what im trying to explain.

5 blemishes. There are times that one needs to leave some of them to preserve the characteristics of a face. What would Cindy Crawford be without her trademark mole, right? I have an image that shows that very specifically. Unfortunately the image is still under the clients rights and i cannot use it. Once it's released i will be happy to show it. It basically is a beauty shot of a model with 1001 moles on her face. I deleted all of them apart from one, on her cheek. In fact i darkened that one...

6. LIPS. Fixing lips is not only about adding some color and that's it. In fact, as retouchers, it's not very well accepted that we CHANGE the original makeup of a photo (comercially speaking). That's why the studio hired MUAs right? So, knowing that, it is ok to practice, but practice in a realistic way. Add reflections, darken areas, create volume and all that... but try to stay away from just adding color. Makes them look like clowns when done without care. This is the most important part of beauty retouch: Consider learning something about make up. I know, i know, i don't like it either (or maybe you do, saw what you did to the eyes)...

7. Eyes, i like them. A bit over the top, but i love them. Why do i say over the top? Well, i don't know what you did to the skin. Maybe some filters, maybe degrunge, inverted high... i dont know. The thing is that the rest of the face looks too uninteresting compared to the eyes. But again, i like what you did there.

8 Overall. It's common that, after retouching a face, you realise that all the flaws did give the photo the realistic punch that it had from being, well, un-retouched. After heavy retouch like this, and especially skin cleaning, the skin/face loses a lot of dimension, depth, 3d'ness. Contour it. Bring the light back to where it should be. Create the shadows that went away after the retouch. Example: That nose needed that shine that it had before retouching, cause it's a nose, and there's a softbox above it (this is a typical softbox up above, reflector below). Add it back in a clean way. Add it and make it look how it would look on perfect skin (perfect skin shines too). That looks great on hair too (but all hairs not following the main direction need to be taken care of). Again, Amy Dresser, Natalia Taffarel (godmother)... good talent there carving faces.

I could go on and on... Basically, finish the d&b, clean the facial hair, and contour the face by carving shadows and adding highlights. I'm sorry if i come across too harsh. I don't think critiques are useful in other ways.

Last edited by flexmanta; 01-30-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2010, 10:34 AM

some good things, some not so great. nice beginning on the eyes. could go further, especially with clean up of the eyebrows and colors. Some areas are way too smooth now, especially under her eyes and around the nose. The lips could use a lot more attention and the teeth could use a lot of clean up. the model seems to have some plaque or whatever and that makes for a pretty bad look for retouched images.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching