Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How did I do this frame?

Old 01-06-2010, 09:02 AM
How did I do this frame?

Just over 5 years ago I had free time, now I have a 4 1/2 year old daughter. In the last 4 1/2 years I have spent about 15 minutes in Photoshop and almost all memory of it has passed. Does anyone know offhand how to emulate this frame I did.
Link to image on Smugmug

As I remember it was an "action" script that I found somewhere on the web and re-used with a bit of fine adjustment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Re: How did I do this frame?

since its an action, I would not know where you got it from. But you can emulate it by doing the following:

Make a new layer over your photo and fill it with white, and then make a mask, then use the marquee tool to make the "inner frame" (the part where your photo will show through) and fill it with black (with the mask selected) this will get you the first part of the frame. On the second part left click on the layer and go to blending options then look for inner glow and select it (make sure there's a check on the box next to inner glow) change the yellow color to black (double click on the square that has the yellow color) and then select the dropdown menu where it says "blend mode" and select "multiply", after that play with the sliders labeled "size" and "choke" to get the shadow as you like it. After that select stroke in the list (its the last option) select on the dropdown menu of "position" the option that says "inside" play with the slider labeled "size" to get the border as you want it, and last change the color (double click on the rectangle labeled "color") then press OK

you should get a similar look from your example
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2010, 10:21 AM

You can do this very easily in a few steps and you can make an action as well.
Go Image>Canvas size. Change the dimensions from inches to Percent and the value to 120 or whatever value you want. Leave the image in the center and make sure your background color is white.
In the Layers palette Alt+Click the background to convert it to a Layer.
Next from the Layer Menu choose Layer>Layer Style. This will bring up the Layer Style dialog box.
Check the bottom box called Stroke and click on the word Stroke to bring up the Stroke dialog window. From the Position pull down menu, select Inside. Adjust the size slider to the thickness you want and the color swatch to the color. Start with Normal blend and 100% opacity. Don't click OK yet.
Go to the Inner Shadow style box and bring up that dialog window. Select the color and size, and play with the choke to darken / accentuate it.
And you are done.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2010, 02:25 PM

That's great of you to take the time to respond. I'll give it a go.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2010, 07:48 PM

This action from atncentral called Mike Brewer's Invariant Frame, Mike Brewer, 9/26//2004 (#38 under "Frames and Mattes" can be fully modified and might be helpful

If you stroke the outer frame and eliminate the inner frames this might work for you.. Although I like it as it is...

The image is still layered, so you can alter the layer styles, colours and so on to change the look of the frame.

Here is one with everything and then one with some things unchecked

(with the outer frame stroked by about 26 pixels)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sis-copy-2.jpg (192.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Sis-without.jpg (186.5 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching