RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Retouching crit

Old 01-08-2010, 05:00 PM

Re: Retouching crit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFrazier View Post
I think that if you take the reflections out of the glasses, the image will look flat. The face is already especially flat. There isn't much modeling to it at all. Frankly, I think the lights add a certain flare. They are only a distraction if someone thinks that the lips should be the point of focus. For me, my eyes were drawn directly to hers because of them.
I also think that although there is a little orange in the hand, if you desaturate it as some have suggested, you will have a color contrast between the arm and face; particularly since they are so close together. I personally think that matching the color on the arm skin to the face was well done and appropriate. If you desaturate the skin on the arm, do the same with the face. Have two separate tones and you might as well put a tan line on her cheek.
And I wouldn't mess with the scarf. There's nothing wrong with it at all.

If there was one thing I would change (two actually), it would be to dodge in the lips to make them fuller/rounder, and to dodge and burn the cheek area on either side to add some modeling to her face.

My 2 cents.
Thanks for the comment. How would you dodge the lips to make them fuller?

I agree with you about keeping the arm its tone. It was very pale before and it looked ill-fitting next to her face tones--I added different amounts of vibrance to her hand and arm to try to get the tones closer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
They're one of the more dominant aspects of the shot. Is that where you want your viewers attention directed?

I have a feeling if you removed them (or, at a minimum, made them neater and more orderly) and compared you wouldn't go back.
I put them in there on purpose to add some depth to the image. imo if her eyes were less obscured behind dark lenses it would be a problem; they would be competing elements. But I think it is ok.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2010, 05:47 PM

I made three duplicate layers.

I used the dodge tool independently on the upper and lower lips on two separate layers so the opacity could be adjusted on each individually.

When they both looked right (had the same consistency), I merged them together.

On the upper most layer, I used the healing brush to get rid of the cracks in her lips, masked the whole layer to expose on the lips. I changed the blending mode to soft light, reduced the opacity until it looked right, and then merged it down onto the dodged copies of the lips.
The point of this layer was to put the color tone back into the lips after heavy dodging.

When all three layers with adjustments were done, I adjusted the opacity of the entire adjusted layer over top the original until it looked right, then flattened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tearra_retouch_2.jpg (98.1 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFrazier View Post
I made three duplicate layers.

I used the dodge tool independently on the upper and lower lips on two separate layers so the opacity could be adjusted on each individually.

When they both looked right (had the same consistency), I merged them together.

On the upper most layer, I used the healing brush to get rid of the cracks in her lips, masked the whole layer to expose on the lips. I changed the blending mode to soft light, reduced the opacity until it looked right, and then merged it down onto the dodged copies of the lips.
The point of this layer was to put the color tone back into the lips after heavy dodging.

When all three layers with adjustments were done, I adjusted the opacity of the entire adjusted layer over top the original until it looked right, then flattened.
It looks great! So in a blend mode of softlight you dodged the middle part of the upper and lower lip, adjusted the opacity and merged it down? Is that right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2010, 07:45 PM

No.

I dodged the lips in Normal on two separate layers. One for the upper lip and one for the lower lip. I adjusted the opacity of the upper lip layer to match the lower in contrast, then merged them. ABOVE those, I used another duplicate layer. I used the healing brush to get rid of the cracks in her lips, masked the layer so only the lips showed, and I changed the blend mode of THAT layer to soft light to add some of the original color back into the lips since the dodging takes most of the color out. I adjusted the opacity of that layer to taste, merged it with the other two, and then adjusted my single layer above the original image until it looked right.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2010, 07:21 AM

There is nothing wrong with this image designwise. The strip looks ok (sometimes it's har do accept that a sobtbox strip will not be straight as it's made of fabric), but this time it is definitely a positive point to the image... it almost takes the model away from the studio. Sometimes, these shoots make the viewer immediately picture the model standing in front of a seamless and that there is lighting rig all over the place. In this image, the strip almost makes it look like she is at a different place, and that there is a window in the ceiling.

The only criticism i have has to do with her arm. I know that you wanted to give it back some blood so that she doesn't look dead but i think the red in the hand's shadows went a bit too far. Those are things easy to ignore when you are the only one retouching and dont have someone next to you to point it out.

Good job
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
The only criticism i have has to do with her arm. I know that you wanted to give it back some blood so that she doesn't look dead but i think the red in the hand's shadows went a bit too far.
Thanks, I agree. I'll scale back the red in shadows a smidgen or maybe desaturate them a hair and shift them more towards her other tones.

thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2010, 07:06 AM

Also, this is the typical over-saturated redness that occurs when you convert to sRGB if you have been working your image in adobeRGB.

It is always recommended setting the color space in advance, knowing what your image's use is going to be (web/print).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
Also, this is the typical over-saturated redness that occurs when you convert to sRGB if you have been working your image in adobeRGB.

It is always recommended setting the color space in advance, knowing what your image's use is going to be (web/print).
That's not actual the case. I work in and output in sRGB. But when I do get a wide gamut monitor, I will end up working in different color spaces and will definitely heed your warning. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2010, 09:01 PM

If it were me, I may keep the reflection in the glasses, but clean up the edges of it, and dump the eggcrate pattern from your softbox
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching