RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Retouching crit

Old 01-08-2010, 12:04 AM

Retouching crit

What else would you do to strengthen this image?

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...ra_retouch.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2010, 05:59 AM

Re: Retouching crit

take out the wrinkles in the scarf?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2010, 08:49 AM

For my Taste the reflections from the Strip should cloned out-
lg.
Gene
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2010, 09:55 AM

I like the scarf the way it is (IMHO), I think it adds texture to the image. I do however agree with gene, the strip is a little distracting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2010, 10:01 AM

I think DJ means the little wrinkles that should be there. The ha\nd on the left is very orange and it looks unnatural. I wouldn't clone out the entire strip, just the grid.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2010, 10:07 AM

I agree about the hand being too saturated and orange. I wouldn't get rid of all the lights, maybe just select ones. Also, the top of the head/scarf in areas looks too sharp and almost cartoonish. Some way to soften and naturalize that would be nice...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsvrdogg86 View Post
I agree about the hand being too saturated and orange. I wouldn't get rid of all the lights, maybe just select ones. Also, the top of the head/scarf in areas looks too sharp and almost cartoonish. Some way to soften and naturalize that would be nice...
Thanks. The top of the head scarf has actually had no retouching done to it--it is just the nature of the fabric. The only sharpening that was applied was just subtle entire image sharpening that is standard in ACR.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_spark View Post
For my Taste the reflections from the Strip should cloned out-
lg.
Gene
Thanks, Gene. The reason I like the softbox reflection is that it adds a design element to the image. The squares echo the shape of her teeth. Then there are circles in her head scarf that echo her round face, nostrils and her glasses. There is a lot of simple geometry in the image that creates a designed look.

I'm not disagreeing that you or other people might find it distracting, but I think it might be because you know what it is (a soft box) or that you are in 'retouching mode'. The reason I am laying this out there is because I've posted this for crits on other forums (forums without an emphasis on retouching), and people are not distracted by it.

Thanks, for your feedback.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkamin View Post
The reason I am laying this out there is because I've posted this for crits on other forums (forums without an emphasis on retouching), and people are not distracted by it.
They're one of the more dominant aspects of the shot. Is that where you want your viewers attention directed?

I have a feeling if you removed them (or, at a minimum, made them neater and more orderly) and compared you wouldn't go back.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2010, 02:42 PM

I think that if you take the reflections out of the glasses, the image will look flat. The face is already especially flat. There isn't much modeling to it at all. Frankly, I think the lights add a certain flare. They are only a distraction if someone thinks that the lips should be the point of focus. For me, my eyes were drawn directly to hers because of them.
I also think that although there is a little orange in the hand, if you desaturate it as some have suggested, you will have a color contrast between the arm and face; particularly since they are so close together. I personally think that matching the color on the arm skin to the face was well done and appropriate. If you desaturate the skin on the arm, do the same with the face. Have two separate tones and you might as well put a tan line on her cheek.
And I wouldn't mess with the scarf. There's nothing wrong with it at all.

If there was one thing I would change (two actually), it would be to dodge in the lips to make them fuller/rounder, and to dodge and burn the cheek area on either side to add some modeling to her face.

My 2 cents.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching