RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 01-10-2010, 11:13 AM
girlsfather girlsfather is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 124
Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Mmmhhh... What about the nib pen duration. Could you give me an aproximation of the duration? How many pictures you've retouched apporximately, till you found you would need a new nib?
It depends on the pressure - I would estimate that every 2-5 days with 8 hours work in Photoshop I would need a new one.
In fact I got a shock when I looked at the pen nib, having used the brandnew tablet 2 days. I try to use less pressure - good for my wrist too.
But you should use the factory settings there, as in other settings of the pressure the response is not linear (you can see a visualisation in the tablet driver)
I decided to use the nibs even if the tip is almost flat.
O course that will harm the surface sooner or later.
But changing the coversheet is no big deal.
10 pen nibs cost more than one coversheet.
Once the coversheet is ruined I will get a new one together with new nibs (if it really exists ;-)) I take the one with less friction.
Reply With Quote top
  #12  
Old 01-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Quantum3 Quantum3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 911
Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

Mmmmhhh... I really don't like that the nibs duration were so short! I cannot find a tablet in my state, imagine finding the parts such the covertsheet and the extra nibs!

What do you mean with

"I try to use less pressure - good for my wrist too.
But you should use the factory settings there".

What about the factory settings? Is that good or bad?
Reply With Quote top
  #13  
Old 01-10-2010, 12:04 PM
flexmanta's Avatar
flexmanta flexmanta is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 339
Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
What do you mean with that, Flexmanta. Is that good or bad?

I mean it's good. I was trying to put the main advantages with the only downside of it. Great great sensitivity against short durability of the nib. Seems that the solution is to plastic wrap the surface of the tablet.

If you notice with your current tablet, you can place a thin sheet of paper or plastic on your tablet and it will work perfectly. So, i would go ahead, ignore wacom's coversheet and just use some clear plastic film like the one used for laminating books or those plastic sheets they sell for color correcting flashes for photography (less rubbery than the ones for laminating books).
Reply With Quote top
  #14  
Old 01-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Quantum3 Quantum3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 911
Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
I mean it's good. I was trying to put the main advantages with the only downside of it. Great great sensitivity against short durability of the nib. Seems that the solution is to plastic wrap the surface of the tablet.

If you notice with your current tablet, you can place a thin sheet of paper or plastic on your tablet and it will work perfectly. So, i would go ahead, ignore wacom's coversheet and just use some clear plastic film like the one used for laminating books or those plastic sheets they sell for color correcting flashes for photography (less rubbery than the ones for laminating books).
Oh yeah, I know what kind of coverture you say. I hope the tablet doesn't frustrate me. I don't have $700usd every week to buy a new one. Unfortunately, I cannot buy something from USA due the rules from the US and Argentina, I saw it's half cheap in the US.
Reply With Quote top
  #15  
Old 01-10-2010, 12:15 PM
flexmanta's Avatar
flexmanta flexmanta is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 339
Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

Medium intuos4 at just under 400€ here in Spain. And we don't have rules against shipping to Argentina I guess.
http://www.fnac.es/Wacom-INTUOS4-M-P...To=0&Nu=3&Fr=0
Reply With Quote top
  #16  
Old 01-10-2010, 12:28 PM
girlsfather girlsfather is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 124
Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Mmmmhhh... I really don't like that the nibs duration were so short! I cannot find a tablet in my state, imagine finding the parts such the covertsheet and the extra nibs!

What do you mean with

"I try to use less pressure - good for my wrist too.
But you should use the factory settings there".

What about the factory settings? Is that good or bad?
Sorry for not being precise.
I meant that the best settings in my opinion are the default settings for pressure.
Here the increase of pressure is linear from 1-100%.

The curves indicate that. With shapedynamics activated in Photoshop for the brush, the response is best in this linear curve - default - setting.
(With a soft setting I can not create the smaller part of the shapedynamic and with the hard setting it is hard to get the brush maximum size without really pushing too hard)

Bild 1.png

Bild 2.png

Bild 3.png
Reply With Quote top
  #17  
Old 01-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Quantum3 Quantum3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 911
Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
Medium intuos4 at just under 400€ here in Spain. And we don't have rules against shipping to Argentina I guess.
http://www.fnac.es/Wacom-INTUOS4-M-P...To=0&Nu=3&Fr=0
The problem also is the "aduana" (the place where you pay a duty for imported stuff). Here, the aduana use to retain the objects and sometimes they steal the stuff and forget going to the justice, because there is no justice. And the aduana is in Buenos Aires, that means around 700 Km away from my state (12-13 hours by bus and the ticket is very expensive), so usually, the buyer must go to the "aduana" in order to fill forms and who knows, fighting or something in order to get the product. And the duty is about %50. A total mess.

Btw, are you from Spain?
Reply With Quote top
  #18  
Old 01-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Quantum3 Quantum3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 911
Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsfather View Post
Sorry for not being precise.
I meant that the best settings in my opinion are the default settings for pressure.
Here the increase of pressure is linear from 1-100%.

The curves indicate that. With shapedynamics activated in Photoshop for the brush, the response is best in this linear curve - default - setting.
(With a soft setting I can not create the smaller part of the shapedynamic and with the hard setting it is hard to get the brush maximum size without really pushing too hard)
I see... Well... it's not a problem then. I thought the factory settings would deactivate some of the features, but I see it's not a problem. Now I know I will definitely not use hard settings. I hope the movement will be accurated in these settings. I thought a tablet would be less painly and more fun but well... will see.

Thanks for the snaopshots!
Reply With Quote top
  #19  
Old 01-10-2010, 12:47 PM
MilanS's Avatar
MilanS MilanS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Croatia
Posts: 34
Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

I have used intuos4 Large in the past, but switched to medium size. I use it mostly for D&B and droving notes in photoshop. My personal preference is that I tend to use mouse, tablet & keyboard while I'm retouching. And I tend to switch between them all the time, so large tablet kind got in a way of me reaching the keyboard, since its almost twice as large as the medium. Also, when I was using it, moving my hand across the larger surface, got a bit tiresome. For example to get from models face to tools palette. So I reprogrammed the drawing surface on large tablet to be smaller. Witch is why I switched to medium tablet! And additional benefit that I got from medium size tablet, is that putting it away from the table, at least temporary (when I'm not using it, or writing e-mail, chating etc.), and moving it back again become much easier. I guess all this depends on your personal preference of use. Hope this helps. BTW both formats of tablet are highly customizible to suit your needs!
Reply With Quote top
  #20  
Old 01-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Quantum3 Quantum3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 911
Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanS View Post
I have used intuos4 Large in the past, but switched to medium size. I use it mostly for D&B and droving notes in photoshop. My personal preference is that I tend to use mouse, tablet & keyboard while I'm retouching. And I tend to switch between them all the time, so large tablet kind got in a way of me reaching the keyboard, since its almost twice as large as the medium. Also, when I was using it, moving my hand across the larger surface, got a bit tiresome. For example to get from models face to tools palette. So I reprogrammed the drawing surface on large tablet to be smaller. Witch is why I switched to medium tablet! And additional benefit that I got from medium size tablet, is that putting it away from the table, at least temporary (when I'm not using it, or writing e-mail, chating etc.), and moving it back again become much easier. I guess all this depends on your personal preference of use. Hope this helps. BTW both formats of tablet are highly customizible to suit your needs!
Ooooohhhhh............ Finally some fresh air... I thought I would be wasting my little money. You definitely give me happines and trust that all will work perfect! Yeah, I know nothing is perfect, but at the least, I have the illusion haha. However, your daily life example is enough to want the tablet now! But I have to wait till around friday or later.

Thanks a lot for your input,

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tablets: Wacom Intuos 4 Medium vs Large Quantum3 Hardware 5 02-05-2010 06:15 AM
Tablets: Wacom Intuos 4 Doug Nelson Hardware 18 07-05-2009 06:05 PM
Tablets: Wacom Intuos 3 - customizing buttons texas_ashley Hardware 2 05-07-2009 08:34 AM
Tablets: Wacom Intuos 3 A5 or A5 wide Philipp Hardware 10 02-05-2009 03:38 PM
How many use Wacom tablets? xxxmen Photo Retouching 36 12-06-2007 11:02 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved