RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

Old 01-10-2010, 05:48 AM

Question TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

NOTE: I know this is not the right place to post this, but due that the TABLETS forum is like a ghost town, I'm obligated to post it here.

Admins, please, let it be for some days.

Thanks,

Mart

----------

Hi community, I'm attempting to buy a Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet and I need to know what's the difference between the large and the medium size. I have heard that there's a difference in the speed of the drag or something like that. I also have heard that the size will depend on the sizes of the images and monitor, stuff like that.

I have a 21" monitor and I work mainly with pictures taken with 24mp cameras such Canon 5DMKII and mostly for fashion and beauty.

Could you enlight me a bit what should I buy? Large or Medium?

Thank you all,

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2010, 06:56 AM

Re: TABLETS: Wacom Intuos 4 - Medium vs Large

It does depend on the size of your monitor indeed. Think of it as a ratio between hand movement and cursor movement. If your tablet is 100% the size of your monitor, then, to move the cursor from one corner to the screen to the opposite one, you would have to move your hand... well, 21 inches (well, it also depends on resolution in this case, i dont know the resolution of a wacom tablet but i assume it tends to match your display's).

Knowing that, it's a matter of how you have been trained. Are you a hand painter or an arm painter? People who come from fine arts are very comfortable when not resting their hands on the tablet, as they are used to moving their whole arm across the canvas while their hand floats over it. For people who have worked mainly with the mouse since their beginnings in digital arts, it is not hard for them to "re-size" the required mouse drag to move the cursor from place to place. Our brains take care of the math.

I recommend you buy the medium tablet for it's a perfect "in between" size. You will have to move more than you do with a mouse, but not as much as for feeling like a beginner as you would with the large version. It's also better for your arm if you are gonna be working with it for long periods of time. You would also be saving some 150$... and it is more portable too. Trust me, it will not be a problem during your retouching/painting, as most of it will be done when zoomed into the image when the whole screen is displaying 200 or so pixels to be edited.

Also, let me point out that I'm not an intuos4 user. I have an intuos3. I have heard that the intuos4 has a great papery feel when used with the pen. The problem with this (i have read in other forums), is that the pen nib doesn't last too long as the tablet's surface is almost like sanding paper. Some people have used some plastic film to cover the sensor area so that the nibs last more, but then the feel is lost. Nibs are expensive, and no, older pens do not work with the intuos4 (or viceversa). Just consider getting an intuos3... i know, the pen sucks compared to the intuos4 with it's amazing new pressure sensitivity, but that's some research you're gonna have to do.

Last edited by flexmanta; 01-10-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2010, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the very large and informative text, Flexmanta. I'm hand drawing then. I used to draw a lot, but I have 5 years without grabbing a pen. I will use the tablet just to D&B and do basic stuff such interacting with the interface of Photoshop, cloning and such. I know what you say about the duration of the pen nib because I bought the most cheapest Genius Tablet long time ago and used it just very few times and the nib pen dissapeared. I think that was because the price of the tablet (something around $65usd). Also, the performance was very, very bad. Primarily because the delay in the tablet's response and the absolutely innacurated/unnacurated flow of the pressure. Few years ago I tryed a very small Bamboo and the difference was very, very big with the Genius one, around 1 year ago, I tryed another Wacom (cannot remember which model), but medium size and it worked pretty fine. I couldn't try it very much because its owner is left handed and his workstation was all set to his needs but the tablet was without any configuration. Unfortunately, in my state there are not digital tablets, so I have to buy it before try it, and wait a couple of week in order to get it. When I get it I will post here what happened.

Thanks,

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2010, 09:09 AM

Hi, I have used several Wacom tablets, and I think the "large" is intended for use with "wide" flat monitors, those with 9:16 or 10:16 ratio. to use with a CRT monitor (3:4) of 21", my preference goes to the A5 "normal" one. And for me, the intuos 3 has my preference. The papery feeling of the 4 is something I don't like, and it seems I'm not the only one! On another side, there is no comparison between Wacom and others. I simply cannot work without it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2010, 10:29 AM

I've used a few different sizes and my preference is the Wacom medium tablet, for a few reasons. Currently I still use a Wacom Intuos 2 (with the original nib I might add), I like the freedom of the larger size. When working with the cordless Wacom mouse, it sits on an area similiar to a normal mouse pad in size (that uses no batteries). Of course you can change your mouse speed to compensate for screen size.

All said and done, the main factor is your work area and if you have room for the medium size tablet. The outward dimensions of my tablet is about 13" X 10" with a workable area of 6" X 8", which is similiar to a small sketch pad (main reason for me). The new Intuos 4 is 14.6" X 10" outside dimensions, so work area is usually a factor depending on how you set it up. My setup is keeping my keyboard under my monitor and my Wacom on the sliding keyboard tray (or sometimes my lap). Been doing this for years and find it to be no problem and it is comfortable and natural for art work or retouching. I've never considered upgrading to a new medium tablet simply because my Intuos 2 works just fine. It has pressure sensitivity and works well with a light touch, just missing a few "bells and whistles". Seems it outlasted several computers

My monitor size is 24", which for me is more relevant for photoshop and not necessarily a factor for a larger tablet size. Often I have two images open at one time and the increased size makes things a bit more convenient but not essential.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKER View Post
I've used a few different sizes and my preference is the Wacom medium tablet, for a few reasons. Currently I still use a Wacom Intuos 2 (with the original nib I might add), I like the freedom of the larger size. When working with the cordless Wacom mouse, it sits on an area similiar to a normal mouse pad in size (that uses no batteries). Of course you can change your mouse speed to compensate for screen size.

All said and done, the main factor is your work area and if you have room for the medium size tablet. The outward dimensions of my tablet is about 13" X 10" with a workable area of 6" X 8", which is similiar to a small sketch pad (main reason for me). The new Intuos 4 is 14.6" X 10" outside dimensions, so work area is usually a factor depending on how you set it up. My setup is keeping my keyboard under my monitor and my Wacom on the sliding keyboard tray (or sometimes my lap). Been doing this for years and find it to be no problem and it is comfortable and natural for art work or retouching. I've never considered upgrading to a new medium tablet simply because my Intuos 2 works just fine. It has pressure sensitivity and works well with a light touch, just missing a few "bells and whistles". Seems it outlasted several computers

My monitor size is 24", which for me is more relevant for photoshop and not necessarily a factor for a larger tablet size. Often I have two images open at one time and the increased size makes things a bit more convenient but not essential.
So the medium size is the one you use and find it cool? It sounds pretty nice! I already paid for the medium tablet, but I can cancel the order and ask for a larger size if that one is better. I have enough room here for medium and large, or I will do the room. The tablet is the main thing!

Thanks for your cool reply!

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2010, 10:48 AM

I use a medium format Wacom Intuos 4 for photoshop work.
And yes, the pen nibs wear down quite fast.
I think I need new nibs soon and a new coversheet as well.
I was told by a store that there is a different surface (coversheet clear) for the tablet.
But tec support wacom europe is not a big help in this case.
Look at their own forum and you see what I am talking about.

But even if I need more nibs and a new coversheet soon I think it is worth buying. (I had a intuos 2 before)
The tablet has the precision mode, that allows to select even a single pixel in 100% mode. So I do not miss the larger format.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsfather View Post
But even if I need more nibs and a new coversheet soon I think it is worth buying. (I had a intuos 2 before)
The tablet has the precision mode, that allows to select even a single pixel in 100% mode. So I do not miss the larger format.
Mmmhhh... What about the nib pen duration. Could you give me an aproximation of the duration? How many pictures you've retouched apporximately, till you found you would need a new nib?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2010, 11:00 AM

Medium Intuos4 with the coversheet that you mention seems to be the best option. The increased pen sensitivity levels is something I just can't ignore. Especially for D&B jobs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
Medium Intuos4 with the coversheet that you mention seems to be the best option. The increased pen sensitivity levels is something I just can't ignore. Especially for D&B jobs.
What do you mean with that, Flexmanta. Is that good or bad?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching