RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

demistification of Victoria Secret

Old 01-11-2010, 04:34 PM

Re: demistification of Victoria Secret

to einfallspinsel:

ah, ok cool thanks einfallspinsel, I am not in US, so our google matches are probably different :P I will check the link you posted and see how it goes TY
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2010, 04:40 PM

i'm not in the us, either :-) have fun!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2010, 04:42 PM

D&B technique u posted was used for sure, but I would say that with 50% gray, as the D&B in photoshop smoothens the image and it is rather rough.

Victoria Secret makes the skin on their photos look rough, they dont smooth the skin like most of lingerie advertisements. Also the color is a bit different than after just Dodging and burning.

Waiting for your help guys
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2010, 04:59 PM

You should catch the next rebroadcast of Amy Dresser's webinar on Retouch Pro. She alomst doesn't clone and never uses blur. Instead she uses two masked curves layers, one to brighten and one to darken blemishes. Then she works her way on the masks with a very small brush and slow flow. It's hundreds of small corrections on every single blemish. Also she doesn't color correct the skin on a whole before she has finished removing wrong colors with a lot of masked rgb-curves. In the end she uses doge and burn to shape the face and paints in highlights with white on a transparent layer.

You should also check out these great tutorials by Carrie Beene who has been featured here as well: http://www.carrienyc.com/tutorials.html

Another less natural but very quick method is to duplicate the skin layer, invert it, set it to "hard light", use a highpass filter and adjust it so that the skin is blurred just a very tiny little bit on the pores but so that you still see texture. Then paint in that layer with a mask and adjust opacity to taste. You still need to clone out bigger blemishes before and color correct afterwards.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2010, 06:02 PM

Think about it...most beautiful women, top photographers (who wouldn't want this gig), top of the line equipment (camera, lighting) and I feel confident someone who knows how to retouch. I'm sure someone here could provide guidance to get close, but to get consistency with the look you need the entire package. My 2 cents.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2010, 05:32 AM

well heh true skydog but i think einfallspinsel has a point, and thank u for the link great tutorials
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2010, 06:17 AM

Yes...I agree and I thank einfallspinsel
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2010, 08:17 AM

Too much contrast and posterization for my taste, but it looks good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2010, 02:38 PM

The thing here is that its a combination of physical lighting and retouch. LOL Since I wasn't at the shoot I can't confirm or deny that they used a beauty dish, but to me the lighting looks more like a ringflash to the model and either used another light to keep it all looking even or retouched the upper part of the model so the light fall of from the ringflash isn't noticeable, the background could be completely digital except the part of the reflection of the shoes (since its easier to put the model on Plexiglas than phtoshop a reflection and then control it to make it look real). As everyone has said, the resolution of the photo is too small to make a well based opinion on what the retouch was, the most you could say that they used D&B on a general level contouring her body and any shadows that don't "look good". I would also say that there could be some liquify going on not because you can see it but because most of the time its used to accentuate "butt curves".
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelzombie View Post
it looks like they are also "painting with light"

Ummm. Wrong. Painting with light has nothing to do with the post work. The use of photoshop on this or any other glamour image. If you googled it and received anything but what I have listed below you received information from folks using terms they know nothing about. Same with using the terms "prime lenses" and also the term "Bokeh" basically a basterd terms handed down from folks who do not know real photography terms and the history behind them. (okay off soapbox).

Painting with light and using photoshop or darkroom dodging and burning for effect are as different as trains and airplanes. The terms are not interchangable.

Painting with light is actually the process of lighting a subject with some form of lighting with an open shutter or multiple shots using countinuous or flash and while shooting in the dark or dimly lit subjects. The light is moved around to illuminate the subject in an interesting fashion. It is also used to illuminate an area too large to light with a conventional light or lights. Either uniform or in a creative way.

I had the pleasure years ago in a PPA week long internship with Ted Timbor, head photographer for the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company, photograph (in a uniform detail) an entire factory work floor with a high power flash light. Another project was to paint with light an entire freight train engine on a tressel with a hammer style hand held flash unit.

What you are looking at in the Vicky's Secret retouching is just great makeup and fine retouching. "Painting with Light" here is just good lighting and good retouching and the terms are not interchangeable from a technical standpoint.

Last edited by crabbyphoto; 01-12-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching