RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin texture?

Old 01-12-2010, 06:00 PM

Post Skin texture?

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and do not know my way around yet.
I have seen many photographer adding extra texture to the skin for beauty work. This texture looks like little bumps on the skin, almost like goose bumps or deep pores but very fine. Gavin O'neal does this on some of his beauty work.
www.gavinoneill.com/flash/index.php

Can anyone please direct me to tutorials on how this is done. If you have any tips, that would be great as well.

Thank You
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2010, 06:09 PM

Re: Skin texture?

I think this would be the Tut you are looking for:
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=209
lg.
Gene
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2010, 06:52 PM

Welcome to Retouch pro Fotogen, I doubt that the photographer you linked is using that on all his work. What he or his retouchers are doing is the D&B technique, along with the use of the healing and clone tools. There are really no shortcuts for these type of results. The link is this one http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=272

O and Gene, the link to the dior look most of the time uses blur as one of the steps, which doesn't give the result that Fotogen is looking for, mostly it can be used to have a porcelain skin look or "airbrushed" look. For beauty it is rarely used.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2010, 07:39 PM

gene: That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.
Now I need some good pores and skin texture map. Anyone know where I can get some besides making my own?

C79: I do agree with you on not using blur. I stopped using blur a long time ago. It is more work not using blur, but the results is very natural. I do not use dodge and burn because I really don't know how and it sounds like it is way too time consuming. I use healing brush in both "lighten" and "normal". The skin does look a bit like porcelain under the eyes or the chin where heavy healing is used, but then I heal in a textured area of the same model's skin over it. This adds the natural texture of that model's skin back in. However, sometimes, this is not enough due to many young models not having very large or defined pores, even when photographed close up at f11 or f16. So additional texture is needed and that is what I am looking for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2010, 07:48 PM

Well its just a technique you are the one who has to judge if its useful or not. I can confirm that you won't get the results like the link you posted without it though. The "skin texture add" doesn't always work. And yes D&B is very time consuming if you do it at pore level, but it can be used at more general levels and that becomes quicker.

Seems like the "dior look" is what you're looking for so for the time being it will help you on your quest. I do however recommend you start looking at the D&B technique specially if you want to get more natural results for beauty photography.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2010, 09:55 PM

In CS4, try Filter/Texture/Texturizer, select Sandstone with 50% scaling and relief at 2. Match the direction of the light source and hit OK. I apply this filter to a duplicate layer and use a low opacity white brush on a hide-all mask to apply to the skin. This way, allows you to alter the overall layer/effect opacity.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2010, 06:47 AM

I love using what Gary explained there. I used to do it a lot some time ago. Just a tip, if you work in 16 bits, the texturizer will not be available. In that case, on a new 50% gray layer set to overlay. Create some noise, blur it 1 or 2 pixels, give it a small bevel and emboss and, as Gary says, mask the layer in where you want it.

It's also a good thing to liquify the texture layer so that it wraps the face, or you could also create a displacement map with a grayscale version of the original photo.

I have always wondered if anyone out there was using real skin texture files instead of creating this pseudo bump map. I'll have a look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2010, 07:38 AM

Hello fotogen
This technikes..and I never use them anymore ...bec. for me it looks too fake...:

Make a new Layer. fill ist with neutral grey and then fill it with Noise around 10 %..blurr the noise slightly between 1 or 2 Pixels and use the embossing Filter Height 1 or 2, amount high aund try to match the angle with the direction of the Light..set the Layer to overlay or soft light or soo..play...:-))

oh flexmanta was faster :-))

If you want to have more pores Think of only the green channel..and then use High pass
lg.
Gene
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2010, 09:29 AM

Thank you everyone for the great tips.
Gary: Do you please have a before and after sample of that technique?

C79: Can you please direct me to a good D&B tutorial? I am looking for what you are suggesting, removing blemishes using D&B.

Here is a thought: I was thinking of photographing yellow sand paper for wood for its texture and use that as skin texture map, has anyone tried this? Sand paper for wood as all these grains (bumps) distributed pretty evenly

Thanks again
Hadi
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2010, 09:35 AM

Here is an image that i used healing brush to get rid of the blemishes and the circles under the eyes etc... and then used the texture from other parts of the model's skin, specially her upper arms to add some texture back to the face. I add the texture from other areas using healing brush again. What do you think please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1775_web_1.JPG (64.6 KB, 275 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching