RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

making a living

Old 01-28-2010, 01:06 PM

Re: making a living

600 views is not the same as 600 individuals. Some people view the thread many times over.

In addition to professional retouchers you also have professional photographers who do their own retouching. Not sure if you'd count that, but if so, chalk up a few more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2010, 06:23 PM

I am a professional freelance retoucher for motion picture studios and record labels here in Los Angeles. I will say that I am now at about 50% capacity with jobs. It is either feast or famine as of now for me. So for me it is not a full time job, but it really is all about selling yourself on a daily basis to keep new clients coming in.

I worked in Hollywood as a senior retoucher at a major Motion Picture Publicty lab until 2 years ago when everything here went crazy, and our Lab closed down. I was there for 19 years as a photo printer, color and B&W, and also a film processor, then we opened a digital dept. 12 years ago and I became the main retoucher learning as I went along. It was major on the job training to transition from traditional photo finishing to the digital realm. I had to learn very quickly and with the amount of work our lab received I was learning new things day and night! When I look at my old work, I cringe...I can't believe we were even able to sell that work.

But now, fortunately after the lab closed, I was able to inherit several major clients. I actually now, can make more money working freelance that I did working for an established lab that had salesmen, not working 50 plus hours a week!

Anyway that is my current situation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2010, 06:44 PM

until two weeks ago, i was a full-time retoucher at a stock photo studio. economy is bad so i got laid off. now i am trying to freelance but having a hard time landing any gigs. it's real tough when no one knows you
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2010, 08:12 PM

Great work toan thia! I love your skin work,very nice! Sorry to here that you got laid off.

It is a shame that "real" talent like yourself has to get laid off, while soooooo many photoshop "hacks" can keep their jobs with very little skill other than being able to blur a photo! Drives me crazy! Oh Well...enough ranting.

Some people advertising $10.00 an image to retouch.....give me a break. You would have to do 20 or 30 images a day to survive.....how is that possible?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2010, 09:49 PM

thanks, dcm100. i wasn't doing high-end retouching for my old job. i just do minimal retouching and submit images to getty, blend, superstock etc for a stock photographer. while i was working for him, i work on the side with high-end stuff. i think i started a little too late to be fully on my feet. only time will tell
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 03:31 AM

Addressing issues
Flashtones that may be truethat over 800 views is not the same as 800 people but still a poor showing
DCM100 How do people charge $10 an image
1) they only spend 5 or 10 minutes on it so that works out roughly to 6-12 images hr x $10
2) they do it for a hobby or spare cash which hurts everyone else trying to make a living

3)they live at home and have no expenses

I have seen people willing to do it for free

The bottom line is if you can market your self really well (which is not as easy as it sounds) you can make some great money even though your skills might not be so great
This is a fact not an opinion check it out for yourself
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 10:12 AM

K, so I am one of the ones who have read this thread a few times now and have been adding to the view count so I figure I would post what I have...

I am a full time photographer who is stating to offer some retouching services on the side. I in no way make a living of retouching alone, however, I do make my living off the collection of creative services I offer.

As for the $10 retouch...

1. 5 min is about the limit per image.
2. This is quick and dirty work, not D&B perfection.
3. Knowing how to write scripts/plugins (NOT Actions) is a big help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2010, 10:35 AM

There are a whole bunch of pros who simply aren't participating in this thread. Cricket, godmother, benny profane, markzebra, etc, to name just a few. Then there are many more pro photographers who do their own retouching.

Best way to see who's who is to read threads and click signature links. A "show of hands" is in no way accurate of anything.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2010, 03:28 AM

Again The idea behind tis was tp see who was doing this Pro fulltime making money
WHY,Because for people new to this or anyother business it is Extremely IMPORTANT,for them to be able to SEE and ASK people actually working in the business
Again Why because the information is real world what clients actually want from you,NOT an opinion(Which is ok and everybody has one)

Flashtones Reading through the threads is great but Does not really tell you whos doing it fulltime
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2010, 08:05 AM

I only just saw this thread and Im new to this forum, but Im also a fulltime photographer and retoucher at an ad agency in SA. Most agencies if not all agencies require retouchers full time these days!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching