RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

making a living

Old 02-20-2010, 05:19 PM

Re: making a living

I used to work for myself but when the economy went south It was time to get a corp job. It's been four years now, and I sometimes miss working for myself from home.

I live in Redondo Beach, CA and I am a Senior retoucher and lead the retouching team for the company I work for who's Corporate office is located in LA county.

We have two in-house photogs and our photo/retouching is part of "shared services" for our companies' divisions in the Americas, EMEA, UK, China, and Australia. We shoot and retouch product, lifestyle and environment images for packaging, ads, signage, presentations, customers' websites, etc.

As you can imagine the work is very fast-paced, but exact and not for the faint-of-heart or beginner. It is rare we are not jamming or on some "fire-drill" to meet FTP dates for multiple projects. It is my responsibility to make sure the team is organized on what is priority and keep up with what is coming down the cue, and to line up and manage freelancers when we don't have the bandwidth to handle it. It can be intense at time, but I like it. Of the 300+ applications for my job they only interviewed 12 people so I feel very fortunate to have been selected.

LA traffic is infamous for being terrible, but I am on flex-time so no pressure to get to work "on time". I also work one day a week from home.

I feel blessed, especially in these time, to work for a company who is very employee friendly and also work with a super nice and very talented team. I am paid well and I have great benees
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2010, 07:05 AM

I'm very fortunate enough to make a good living doing retouching work for my company for the past 4 years. But the work has slowed down a whole lot and a few of my friends have been laid off due to the bad economy and the slow deterioration of print. So if business doesn't pick up, I may end up getting the pink slip as well, unless my company offers to relocate me again, which I have done in the past several times. My advice is to not only master retouching, but also master other forms of graphic communications tools, such as InDesign, Quark, Illustrator. Be very flexible with your future employer. That is how I have survived in this industry, just like nycretoucher, who may well be working for the same company I work for, hmmmmm I wonder...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2010, 04:57 AM

Hi everyone
OK so I did research here and other places on the net asked a lot of people.
Actually not a lot of people makinf a "FULLTIME" living from retouching images VERSUS the amount of people doing it
1)A lot of Photographers do there own Retouching and some told me they farmed it out in there busy season Like wedding photographers
2) Some photographers want you to do it for Cheap (next to nothing)
On the Flip Like a few photographers told me anyone with a computer and an imaging program try there hand at it
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2010, 05:24 AM

I do freelance work, it's for a little extra cash.
I would probably get more work if I started advertising for myself again on various sites like I used to when I had time. I'm a full time student learning graphic design, but my spring break is here so I just might post some more ad's for myself during that time.
I have a few regs. that ask me to do work for them pretty frequently. As for cheap rates, I charge what I see is fair.
When I am doing restorations, the highest I'm going to go is probably $30 and that's if it has a lot of damage.
If it just needs minor color correcting or something that will just take 1 or 2 adjustments then I am only going to charge $5.
I guess I work for cheap? Well, I consider what I do also a huge hobby and love of mine so I guess I'm getting paid for doing something I enjoy anyways
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2010, 05:57 AM

I think there is not possibilities working freelance and living in some expensive country such as the U.S. or Europe at the same time, unless you also take the pictures. I work freelance and I keep a very nice track of all the jobs I get and certainly, the best periods of time are at the beginning of the year (feb; march; apr) and at the end (oct; nov). I don't do any effort to promote myself, though I get about 2-4 clients per month and some of them are recurrent. Just a couple of them are permanent, meaning they send many pictures every month. I would say that the highest peak I had was $1300usd more or less, in a month. That was the past year and I have just a couple of years working freelance and also, working professionally. This is my second one and this year I estimate that the year incoming will go around the double. Will see.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2010, 06:30 AM

Saw this on Craigslist/mar27/Montreal

THIS IS A BEGINNERS ENTRY. JUNIOR ONLY. IT STATES THE CRITERIAS NEEDED, AND HOPES TO MEET ALL OF THE CRITERIAS. HOWEVER, BEING THAT IT IS A BEGINNERS POSITION; TEACHING YOU CERTAIN SOFTWARE IS NOT AN ISSUE.
TO ALL "PROS" THIS AD IS NOT FOR YOU, AS IT WILL PAY MINIMUM WAGE. THANK YOU.

Job: Editing & retouching photos for a wedding company
Time: Part-Time (2-3 days a week, flexible)
Starting: May 2010 – training in April.

Job Description:
• Editing photos: have the eye to bring 2000 down to 900 photos
• Retouching photos for albums/orders
• Graphic knowledge for layouts (illustrator or InDesign)
• Inventory
word for word.I think Minimum wage is $9.75 could be &10.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zganie View Post
word for word.I think Minimum wage is $9.75 could be &10.
I guess that's per pic, isn't it?

There are worst things than that.... Starts with I.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2010, 06:44 AM

Its Per Hour
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2010, 06:46 AM

TORONTO $15 Per Hour which makes $9.75 Per Hour in Montreal look Fantastic

Large Media Organization

We are currently looking to hire a student Photographer to work full-time for the summer (17 weeks), with the potential to continue on a part-time basis during the school year to complete our sales team in Toronto.

This individual must be a student - currently be enrolled full time in a college/university program - either finishing this spring or returing in the fall.

Responsibilities :
- Photograph company products.
- Coordinate multiple projects and prioritize assignments.
- Ensure projects are delivered on time and to a high quality standard.
- May perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned and/or required.

Skill requirements :
- Must be currently enrolled in a photography program with portfolio
- Must have a car to travel around Toronto every day photographing company's products
- Must be familiar with/own digital SLR camera.
- Video capability including editing an asset.
- Ability to work independently.
- Driver license

Any candidate who wants to apply for this opportunity should send their resume to amsummerjobs@yahoo.ca ** Please - only students can apply

•Compensation: $15/hr
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2010, 06:50 AM

I tell you what someone Should come up with!
A course on How to live on NOTHING (READ INTERN) or
PART 2 (once you learn to live on nothing this part should be easy
HOw To Live on next to nothing
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching